Home Forums Bike Forum So what’s the best all-rounder gravel bike/frameset?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • So what’s the best all-rounder gravel bike/frameset?
  • inbred853

Pic upload fail ?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Was just going to say I recently built a Fustle Causeway and I’m happy with it.  I’m not much of a drop-bar rider but it feels good to me.

Ridden it over questionable terrain, then it feels really fast on smoother surfaces!

ampthill

If you do s Glorious Gravel event you can rent a Sonder Camino. They do demos from their shops too

madeupname
    Free Member

I know you’ve asked for 50mm 700c but…

just about finished building a Kinesis GX race to replace an old Pro6. Planned use as Jack of all trades,  new forest gravel, commuting, credit card touring, general use if I’m not on my road bike… poss the odd cx race too.

Geo appears almost identical as the Pro6, looks good in deep purple and ‘cheap’ enough not to be too precious about scuffing it. Should run 40mm tyres with full guards. Loved the Pro6 so hoping this is as good

I did look at the Secan but was told the frame I wanted was not available/discontinued when I had convinced myself re cost….

will post pics/review if I can later

edit – kinesis customer support seem pretty good too

timc
    Free Member

Want to clarify the carbon topstone (v2) has a recommended tyre clearance of 45mm which im running with loads of space.

topstone is good for covering ground quick.

fairlight secan does appeal also

ti orro i saw in merlin last week was very nice.

MadBillMcMad

25 days (hopefully) to wait for my secan. Can’t wait.

13thfloormonk

Sadly not the impression I got, almost got the impression they were just box shifters i.e. the frameset I bought arrived as if direct from Taiwan, painty threads and numerous bolts missing that they then had the cheek to charge me for, even the bolts required to hold the cantilever brake adapters on weren’t supplied and when I phoned to ask what bolts were required (for a fairly safety critical component you would think) the guy on the phone just gave a sort of disinterested guess as to what might fit.

I do like the products though in general.

didnthurt

If only there was an in depth review of the Fustle Causeway by a fellow Singletracker…….

Fustle Causeway GR1 Review

didnthurt

I was initially drawn by the green to black fade, which is a bit different but in a good way.

Motion_Slidehow_collection_Image_Template_2880_x_1620_14_1296x

Then I saw the blue to turquoise fade, very nice! And this would fit in with my other green/turquoise bikes that I seem to have procured. Lush!

FustleBikesFustleCoreBuildShimanoGRX6001X11GroupsetPROComponentsWTBTyresside_ea005993-bd21-4120-b511-c7d4fb907aea_720x

midlifecrashes

My Ridley is a clone of the Free Ranger. Light wheels and 1x gears and it’s a flyer, 42mm tyres and plenty of room for more. Airwolf/Carbonda 696 is the generic name for the frameset if you wanted one from ebay or Aliexpress.

PXL_20240728_105142086_Original

If you fancy a Salsa there are some big discounts here: https://www.lyonequipment.com/all-road

madeupname
    Free Member

13thFloormonk – Sadly not the impression I got, almost got the impression they were just box shifters i.e. the frameset I bought arrived as if direct from Taiwan, painty threads and numerous bolts missing that they then had the cheek to charge me for, even the bolts required to hold the cantilever brake adapters on weren’t supplied and when I phoned to ask what bolts were required (for a fairly safety critical component you would think) the guy on the phone just gave a sort of disinterested guess as to what might fit.

I do like the products though in general.

Not sure how recent your experience was if looking for canti brake adaptors….

Support was good last week – yes they had put the wrong frame port adaptor in the box in Taiwan, but the guys I emailed in the UK sent the correct one out as soon as they worked out what I meant… (frame designed for full outer routing for rear derailleur, port had built in cable stop).

When I bought the Pro6 I mentioned there was an error on the description (not affecting the bike in use for me) and they updated it.

If buying a frame only, surely most brands are just forwarding a box from Taiwan (even Fairlight)?

If built up in the UK by the brand or LBS, they do all the tidying/facing, but that’s why I can buy a pretty decent frame for ~£700, and then spec what I want on it and build it for less… (I take ages but I prefer building as much as I can myself rather than buy a bike then later bin the bits i didn’t want)

mtbsforresttrails
    Free Member

For all around gravel bikes I don’t think you can overlook the current prices of the Titus / planet x titanium offerings. The spec you get on a titanium frame for the prices (especially with deals on) is phenomenal in my opinion.

13thfloormonk

Not sure how recent your experience was if looking for canti brake adaptors

5 years ago-ish.

I take your points and I think I also sort of accepted the lack of finishing and bolts etc. as ‘priced in’ but it was just Kinesis’s general disinterest in helping me source the bits I needed (and the prices they charged for bits they did have).

Aaaaanyway, it hasn’t put me off buying from them again potentially.

spyke85
    Free Member

Had an Outback V2 for just over 3 years now. It is absolutely the best bike I’ve ever ridden and my go to bike for riding.
    2 friends have bought them as a result of my recommendation and have also said the same.

superstu
    Free Member

That fearless vulture looks mint

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.