Home Forums Bike Forum So what’s the best all-rounder gravel bike/frameset?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • So what’s the best all-rounder gravel bike/frameset?
    didnthurt

Saw a Ritchey Outback V2 in a rather lovely blue colour and thought that it’d make for a rather lovely gravel bike, but I can’t get away from the length of it’s rear.

Ritchey Outback 2023 50th Anniversary Frameset

So…. What is the perfect all-rounder gravel bike, based on the below:

• Drop bars.
    • 650B/700 wheels.
    • Various mounts
    • Disc brakes
    • Tyre clearance for upto 50mm on a 700 rim
    • Fun but capable handling
    • Not built like a tank nor as fragile as an egg
    • Does not cost £2k+ for a frame and fork.
    • And must come in a nice colour.
    Andy

Secan

DougD

Secan +1, absolutely love mine in both road and gravel guise

Onzadog
    Free Member

I always thought the rear end length of the Outback was one of its plus points. Balanced positioning, comfortable and better shifting for 1x systems.

didnthurt

The Fairlight Secan does indeed look to fit all of the above, but is the Plum worth £100 more? It even comes in Reynol 853.

SECAN 2.5 FRAMESET DEPOSIT

didnthurt

I always thought the rear end length of the Outback was one of its plus points. Balanced positioning, comfortable and better shifting for 1x systems.

Reviews say that it is indeed great at climbing and is super smooth, but not the most exciting of bikes. Not a bad thing if that’s what you are after.

didnthurt

So long…

50th-ritchey-outback-9-2000x1334

tourismo

Cotic Cascade, love mine. Can do everything.

didnthurt

Plum pudding….

FAIRLIGHT-2022-LS1-SECAN-L1080538

didnthurt

Looked at the Cotic Cascade and the Escpade but dismissed them as the former is a bit too much like a MTB and the latter a road bike. If they had one somewhere in the middle made of 853 then that could be a contender for the best all-rounder IMO.

Cascade

images (1)

Escapade

download (1)

ampthill

I’d have been all over a Fairlight gravel bike it wasn’t for the head angle being 72.5 degrees in the largest sizes. In think the assume you’ll want a long stem

I think the value options are Brother cycles Mehteh for steel and Sonder Camino for aluminium

I think Genesis missed a trick by not hitting 50mm clearance on the new CDF

chrisdw
    Free Member

Fearless Vulture MK2?

13thfloormonk

They’re not quite as glam but once I’m eventually ready to go disc, I’d seriously be looking at the Kinesis GX Race, currently discounted on Sigmasport.

Clearance for 700x50mm, based on a CX race frameset so presumably quite fun handling (I haven’t scrutinised the geo yet).

Aluminium so not as heavy as steel or delicate as carbon (well, not delicate per se but I know I’m a lot less paranoid about dropping my metal bikes than my carbon one).

Plus you could spend the savings on important stuff like really nice wheels and posh tyres ?

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve an On One Free Ranger, ticks all your boxes and can be bought complete with a decent groupset for your budget.

But, I’m now looking at a Cotic Cascade as I want something that’s more capable for bikepacking on rougher tracks (tried the Free Ranger and it works but happier on my HT – want drop bars though).

If I get a Cascade then I’ll replace the 50c tyres on the Free Ranger with 40-45c tyres, something more slick for ‘fast’ gravel (plus I use it with slicks on the roads).

Don’t though think that the Free Ranger isn’t capable, it is (did 50 miles & +5000ft at the weekend, 50/50 on/off road).

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

sonder camino, but stretch to the Ti

oldnpastit

Mason Bokeh, I cycle to work every day on it, but it’s pretty decent off road. Not sure what the clearance is but I have 43mm with loads of space for mudguards. Lots of mounting points. Does not feel like a tank.

PXL_20240811_163910990

beagle
    Free Member

I’d agree with the Fairlight advice.  Lovely.  Or take a look at the Fearless Vulture V2. I’ve had a Fearless Warlock and been super impressed. Especially with advice/service from Tim.  I’m running wtb 700×50 wtb ventures in mine, but that’s tight, or 650×2.2 easily.  The Vulture Mk2 has loads more clearance too.  It’s only recently landed.

honourablegeorge

beagleFree
    I’d agree with the Fairlight advice.  Lovely.  Or take a look at the Fearless Vulture V2. I’ve had a Fearless Warlock and been super impressed. Especially with advice/service from Tim.  I’m running wtb 700×50 wtb ventures in mine, but that’s tight, or 650×2.2 easily.  The Vulture V2 has loads more clearance too.  It’s only recently landed.

I’ll chip in with another vote for the Secan, as I have one and love it, but I did also own a Fearless Vulture Mk1 which was also a lovely thing. Tim at Fearless is a gent and I can only assume the new Vulture is every bit as good as the old.

a11y

Came here to suggest the Cascade but I see it’s alredy been considered. As mentioned it’s at the MTB end of the spectrum perhaps but that’s not necessarily a bad thing – feels balanced to me with the long back end, but then I’m riding an XL with long front centre.

hopefiendboy

Not sexy but  Cannondale topstone carbon. On the faster side of gravel but capable. Light comfy and fast. Did I say fast?

gkeeffe

+1 for the Mason Bokeh.  Fast and pretty stiff on road. Nice geometry off road. Lots of mounting points.  The orange one is particularly nice looking.

inbred853

Why not go custom?  I had a frame built by Singlebe, spec’d the geo, tyre clearance, braze on’s etc.

Bazz

Another vote for a Secan, it’s the bike that I want, however the bike that I have also closely matches what you are after, Kinesis Tripster AT, absolutely love mine and if I can never stretch to a Secan then I’ll be happy with what I’ve got.

didnthurt

Mason Bokeh is also very pretty, especially in blue. But tyre clearance is also 45mm on a 700 rim. And looks quite expensive when compared to the Kinesis.

https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/bokeh-bikes

didnthurt

Cannondale Topstone looks quite good value for a complete bike in the sales. It’s not the prettiest of bikes (carbon bikes generally do look a bit box IME) and I’m not sold on that weird rear bushing suspension design. the tyre clearance is 40mm on a 700 rim, which is what I have on my current cx bike, and is ok but not 50mm.

https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/road/gravel/topstone-carbon/topstone-carbon-4

Cannondale Topstone Carbon 3 2023

13thfloormonk

That Kinesis is very pretty, especially in the purple, and is cheap! But only takes 45mm tyres on a 700 rim.

D’oh! My bad. The AT Plus also looks smart and takes 700×50 but is more bikepacky so presumably longer/slacker/whatever and not as CXy.

didnthurt

The Fearless Vulture is stunning and quite a good weight for a frameset, and a decent price at £865. Not 100% sold on a straight steel fork, as I’ve found a straight steel fork to be a bit harsh and ‘twangy’ IME, so I’d be looking to change that to a carbon one. Maybe one to be considered.

Vulture Mk2 Steel

didnthurt

That Singlebe website is scary (good), and I would not recommend anyone who is a fan of 90’s Kleins to head there after consuming a few beverages and in easy reach of a credit card. The fact there is no price list, and the paint finishes look so good, I think it is a case of “if you have to ask for the price, then you can’t afford it”

SingleBe Pinnacle

A custom frameset is very tempting but very likely too expensive for me, nice though,

didnthurt

I think the Alpkit/Sonder Camino ticks all the boxes, and is cheap too at £600, with a wireless Apex1 AXS XPLR at £1800 seems amazing value.

Camino Al Frame And Fork

Camino Al Apex1 AXS XPLR

This could be the winner of best all-rounder especially at the cost, but:

• What is it like to ride on-road?
    • What is it like to ride off-road?
    • Does it hold together better than the Alpkit clothing and camping equipment I’ve experienced?

Cannondale Topstone looks quite good value for a complete bike in the sales. It’s not the prettiest of bikes (carbon bikes generally do look a bit box IME) and I’m not sold on that weird rear bushing suspension design.

If we are talking boxy budget carbon bikes, you can’t discount the Boardman ADV 9.0 – paid £1500 for mine and been really happy with it. Gets flexy seat stays instead of weird bushings – it’s light though (990g frame, 420g forks) and warrants upgrades such as lighter wheelsets. It zips along as it is. 42mm tyre clearance

21334-Boardman_ADV_9.0_Carbon_Gravel_Road_Bike

davy90
    Free Member

Run my Advanced 0 in a commute, road and off road set up and love it.

Loads of bosses to bolt things to if that is your thing. Up to 50mm tyre clearance.

Not as pretty as some but a great all rounder.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/revolt-advanced-pro-frameset

inbred853

@didnthurt, frame was @1700 Euro, for a 853/Columbus tubed frame.  T47 BB and internal cable routing, long top tube so I could run a shorter stem for drops or slightly longer for flat bars.  Gravel light as its only got 40c tyre clearance, but suits me fine.

Got mine raw and was cerakoted by a friend for a nice bottle of malt.

didnthurt

@inbred853 don’t tease us, where’s the pics of this beauty?

jfab

Brother Mehteh comes in a nice blue/black fade called Moonstone, I love mine (I run it with 27.5 x 2.25″ but plenty of room for 700 x 50 too).

Doesn’t have a bazillion frame mounts, but a sensible number in the triangle for a couple of bottles/mounts and also some down the fork legs. It rides in a pretty relaxed way, not super light but it never feels like a lump to move around and ride. I did run it briefly with 700x40c and it really sped it up on the smoother surfaces, but for the terrain I ride I prefer the 2.25″ Mezcals.

inbred853

@didnthurt, gave up on posting pics on this site a long time ago!

wors

Tempted by the Giant myself for Athe same duties!!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I’ve had a few over the years..

Orange RX9. Lovely bike but basic spec. A blast to ride on the road.

Cannondale Slate with Lefty fork. Ok, but a harsh ride.

Specialized Diverge Elite. Very nice bike, but more road orientated than gravel.

Sonder Camino Ti. Lovely frame, well spec’d and not too expensive.

BadlyWiredDog

What is it like to ride on-road?
    What is it like to ride off-road?
    Does it hold together better than the Alpkit clothing and camping equipment I’ve experienced?

The latest Camino has a 69˚ head angle, same as the current Stigmata, and longish reach/wheelbase. It’s designed to run a 70mm or shorter stem and feels horrible/wrong with a longer one ime.

It’s ace off road, properly assured, stable, sure-footed on stuff that my old On One cross bike was properly jittery on. Depending on what tyres you run, it’s not far off a lightweight, rigid mountain bike. On the road it’s very stable, not like a traditional road bike geometry at all, which is great on pock-marked / pot-holed British back roads and lanes, great on fast descents where it’s just planted.

Speed, in honesty, is going to depend a bit on what tyres you run. With 50mm Panaracers, mine was great off road, but a bit sluggish on tarmac, with 40mm G-One ARs, it was fast as on the road, but a slithery mess on anything remotely taxing off road. With the current 45mm WTB race-type tyres it’s pretty good on both.

I think the frame quality is pretty good, though the paint has a tendency to chip. If you’re fixated on super shiny, glossy paint that stays perfect, look elsewhere. I built mine from a frame, but I’m not really convinced by the super wide, flared bars Sonder fits by default, also I found the mildly flared Spitfire bar just ‘wrong’, couldn’t get it it set up so it felt right on the tops and on the drops. Partner found the same.

I don’t believe in ‘best’, it always depends, but my take is that the Camino rides way better than its price and is absolutely fantastic if you want something that’s on the mountain bike end of the gravel bike spectrum. It’s good enough to occasionally lead into places where it’s slightly out of its depth and I really need to fit a dropper. In an ideal world, maybe one of those Rockshox Rudy gravel forks, but then it’s maybe a little too close to a mountain bike.

I’d maybe swap it for a Stigmata, but then again, there’s something pleasingly wagy-tailed, underdog about the Sonder, so maybe not. Lighter wheels than the ones I have would be cool.

No idea if that helps. Alpkit does Sonder demo bikes at its shops, so it’s easy enough to try one or they can send one out to you I think, I don’t think it’s a pretty bike fwiw, but it’s grown on me.

Also, if you like steel, Secan is nice according to a few people I know who’ve ridden one, but seems expensive for a Taiwanese-welded steel frame. The On One Rujo, the missus has one, is nice and a fair bit cheaper, no idea if they still do it though.

rOcKeTdOg

Fustle causeway

InShot_20240902_163931767_exported_0

https://www.ridefustle.com

Chat with the designer

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.