Home Forums Chat Forum So I fitted all season tyres…

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • So I fitted all season tyres…
  • irc
    Free Member

I would argue almost nobody needs winter tyres judging by this Autoexpress test. They tested various winter tyres but included an all season (Goodyear Vector Gen 3) and a summer.

Snow braking it got 95% of the performance of the best winter. That was better than half the winter tyres.

Snow traction 94% as good as the best winter. Snow handling 98% as good.

Not many people need that last 5% when you can just run one set of tyres all year and be 95% as good on snow..

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/93097/best-winter-tyres

sweepy
    Free Member

Ive got winters on steels and change them over in autumn. I used to go for just winter or all season all year round but its bloody annoying when you get to winter and they are down to 3-4mm. You know they would be ok for a summer but not really fit for winter. Now i’ll replace my summers when they wear out, and when the winters wear down i’ll use them through summer to wring the last use out of them before changing.

Northwind

TBH I think the really impressive thing with the best modern allseasons isn’t really the bad weather performance, it’s the good weather performance. Or rather it’s the “both ends” performance, it’s clearly much harder to do a tyre that does everything well than it is to make compromises somewhere, and have decent snow and decent wet and decent dry compared to, say, terrible snow, good wet good dry, or as with traditional winter tyres great snow, good wet bad dry. Winters have got better at this too. Arguably a lot of “normal tyres” and supersports and supertouring got worse and probably have stayed there. T

(one thing I always think about these tests is they tend to miss the real nasties, refrozen ice, mixed up slush-and-ice, etc. Snow is not that bad in comparison! But those conditions are just really difficult to test for fairly, and I reckon they might really divide some otherwise good performing tyres. But there’s even allseasons that seem to really deal with that well, while not all snow tyres really do.)

There’s still the whole wear thing (ie, winter performance falling off so much faster as you lose sipes and depth, which is hard to manage on a single set of wheels) but that’s just not enough for most people.

Modern tyres are just ace.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.