Home Forums Bike Forum So, I did an E-Bike Conversion.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • So, I did an E-Bike Conversion.
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

Throttles and over 250kW motors are not legal on roads or bridleways

Indeed they are but if you have a choice of motors between 250w and 750w you’re gonna go for the biggest you can aren’t you?

My 750w doesn’t feel that much more powerful than factory UK legal E-Bikes that I’ve ridden TBH and I think there’s a good deal of licence going on with how manufacturers rate their systems.

I’m not riding that differently when out mountain biking, just climbing a bit quicker. I think it’s different if you’re blasting along the High Street without pedalling at 35mph. That’s the behaviour that’s gonna cause trouble. Besides, I’ve a got a little sticker on mine saying 250w so it’s all good. 😆

Interesting on the throttle thing – our 15yr old rides to the station every morning on an E-Rider Model 15 electric Moped. It has pedals AND a twistgrip throttle. The law changed in April 2016 to outlaw throttle use but, because it’s a 2015 model, it’s still OK and is classed as an E-Bike despite looking like a Moped, having proper lights and indicators and doing 15mph purely on the throttle.

(Best not to mention the fatbike my brother is building with a 2700w motor however 🙄)

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Namastebuzz. I’m sure you’re enjoying playing the likely lad on here, and are proud of your invention, (I like how you thought of using lipos and found a way to do it), but could you do me a favour and start trying to understand about our environment and shared space?
    There are many people who enjoy spending peaceful time in the woods, ranging from walkers to people like me who ride out to enjoy the beauty and silence of nature.
    Blasting round on a 750w hand throttle bike is fun for you but inconsiderate to others. When I’m off road I don’t want to have to keep checking over my shoulder like on the road. It’s my escape from the craziness and now being spoilt by the increasing motorisation of our hobby. Teaching others how to do it on the Internet increases the impact of your actions and just adds to the problem.

thepodge
    Free Member

The lack of self awareness in the last post is astonishing. It’s what every red sock ever says about standard mountain biking.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I know. But I ride so considerately, stop for walkers, say hello and try to spread good feeling amongst those I encounter enjoying the countryside.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Oh why do I ever bother get involved in this?
    Do what you do and to hell with everyone else. It’s what we all do anyway. Like you say, to someone else, I’m the problem.

Stainypants

I’m old fat knacker and I can put out 500w for a few minutes on a climb if I was on an ebike on turbo that wound be 750w. I’m not sure that average rambler is going to differentiate between that and thus guy with his throttle. Once e-bike were permitted the cat was out the bag. I rather this that some of the folk I see ragging around town at 30mpg plus on hub motor conversions.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Thanks rollingdoughnut. Any input is welcome.

I posted this up to let people know what can be done and hoped it would be interesting.

I’m probably not that different to yourself in outlook. I also hike, bag Munros, kayak down the coast and walk the dog as well as mountain bike. I’ve got 4 mountain bikes and only one is electrified and, as most of my riding is for fitness, it won’t be out that much.

Where it will come in handy is at trail centres where you want to do the descents more often or on certain routes with long, tough climbs that you just want to get up coz there’s a great descent to be had.

The throttle doesn’t make the bike go as fast as if you’re on pedal assist. It’s not a motorbike and, with relatively low gearing, it doesn’t really go any faster than if you were pedalling at the max. The real advantage is the effort it saves you when climbing.

Bottom line is you’re either polite and respectful to other people or you’re not. On about 90% of my rides I probably never see another soul but, if I do, I’m always the former.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Thanks. That was a nice response.
    I’ve been struggling with the state of the world today, I guess like a lot of people at the moment.

thepodge
    Free Member

Would that be the wildly judgemental people assuming that just because someone has an electric assistance bike that they’d be a bad person?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’ve been struggling with the state of the world today, I guess like a lot of people at the moment

Hey, we all struggle at times. If I made your day better – that’s cool.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Yes thepodge, exactly those sort of people 😆

Don’t even think of getting me started on my opinion of BMW/Audi drivers. (Apart from my neighbour John, he’s nice, and Claire, she’s nice too, and my pal Andy, such a quiet and thoughtful bloke) but the rest of them, the ones I don’t know, they’re all c….

hooli

I found it interesting, I’m no convinced I’d replicate it but it is nice to see it done so thanks for sharing.

richardthird

Interesting thoughts on available power. I’ve got my name down for an upcoming conversion (Lightest, on indiegogo, I do hope it is not totally pie in the sky) and will go for the lowest power option (250/500/750/1000). I just want a bit of help on the steep uphills on a standard bike and at the lowest weight penalty. To me, more power just means a larger heavier battery.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’m no convinced I’d replicate it

Fair enough. LiPos aren’t for everyone. I’m looking at 48v Li-Ion batteries on AliExpress too.

That seat pack I’m using could be half the size and still take the LiPos. I could get a bigger 48v 10ah Li-Ion that’s 20cm long that would still fit in a seat pack and give me superior range for not much over £100.

footflaps

I’m old fat knacker and I can put out 500w for a few minutes on a climb if I was on an ebike on turbo that wound be 750w. I’m not sure that average rambler is going to differentiate between that and thus guy with his throttle. Once e-bike were permitted the cat was out the bag. I rather this that some of the folk I see ragging around town at 30mpg plus on hub motor conversions.

+1

I was riding with a friend on a similar 750W ebike conversion and I could match him on short climbs on a normal bike – did run out of lungs after a few 100m though. Although I think the extra weight of the ebike means 750W is more like 500W on a non ebike.

gingerflash

I can’t get past the fact that you got the base bike for £500.

Was the seller still wearing his balaclava?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I can’t get past the fact that you got the base bike for £500.

Was the seller still wearing his balaclava?

Ha ha! It came up on FB marketplace early one morning. I messaged the seller about 10 minutes after. He’d already had one buyer enquiring but got his number and did a deal immediately on the phone and paid him a deposit before picking it up a couple of days later. But of luck to spot it that quickly then able to get enough good vibes from talking to him to get it done.

It had been used for Enduros so not exactly perfect nick but the suspension had been serviced and some decent upgrades so happy enough. Mate of mine has exactly the same bike (which he’d bought new) and wasn’t too pleased when I showed up on a ride with my bargain buy. 😆

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘So, I did an E-Bike Conversion.’ is closed to new replies.