Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 348 total)
  • So here's the deal
  • Poopscoop

tjagain – Member
    Poopscoop – Member
    Don’t we have unofficial mods on here or something too?

real answer there are hidden mods

Hah, never knew that!

In reality I was joking. So there really are other mods it’s just that we don’t know them? Blimey!

I’m off to study the Illuminati infiltration in the forum again. 😉

angeldust
    Free Member

tjagain – Member

real answer there are hidden mods as well as drac and cougar who are openly mods. The hidden mods didn’t want the flak and I cannot blame them for it. to be a poster and an open mod is difficult and I have seen both Drac and Cougar accused of using their mod status unfairly which IMO is wrong and out of order

The rest of you can suck up as much as you like. It’s pretty pathetic. 🙄 🙂
    Drac and Cougar, no matter hard they may try to be fair, are going to be somewhat biased in the moderating decisions they make (i.e. they may be making their best judgement, but it is an individual judgement, that is not always checked by committee*, because nothing on this forum is important enough that they should go to that sort of trouble, even if they had the resources and inclination to do so). Some people are going to view this as them using their ‘status’** unfairly. It is inevitable, and they have been accused of this many times.

I generally think open mods are a bad idea. It can be difficult to have discussion on a level playing field when the other person has the ability to silence you, and that ability can all too easily go to their heads! I think that lots of people are more accepting of ‘shadow mods’ i.e. ones where we don’t know their personal bias and opinions. Of course, they may actually be much more biased and unfair, but there is less to argue against when we don’t know their personal opinions! I’m also aware that beggars can’t be choosers, and the people behind STW are happy to have a couple of volunteers that have the time, and inclination to do it. You would really have to love the forum, and have a lot of spare time to do it. I expect most of the good work they do is ignored, while any slight inconsistency is blown out of proportion.

*I’m aware the mods have said before that they ‘double check’ each others actions on occasion.

**’Burden’ may be a more appropriate word than ‘status’?!

Drac

I expect most of the good work they do is ignored, while any slight inconsistency is blown out of proportion.

Spot on except not really ignored just often unnoticed which in a way it should be.

chakaping
    Free Member

So after nine pages, can we have a refresher on what the deal actually is now please?

angeldust
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

So after nine pages, can we have a refresher on what the deal actually is now please?

I think the deal is ‘try not to be a dick please’. Fat chance. 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The deal is a good deal in fact it’s the best deal, actually it’s betterer than that one.

zokes
    Free Member

The deal is a good deal in fact it’s the best deal, actually it’s betterer than that one.

I thought no deal was better than a bad deal 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If a bad deal is signed with invisible ink did anyone see it?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve suggested it before and I’ll suggest it again, this forum needs a proper ignore or block function, whereby anyone who annoys gets their posts removed from your feed and they are also prevented from seeing your posts.

Cougar
    barkm
    Free Member

You don’t need a ‘widget’ to ignore someone.
    Perhaps learn to engage calmly with someone who has different opinions or deliberately annoys, or just leave it and move on with your life.
    Those who troll/annoy/argue incessantly are fed by those who cannot let it go, both equally bad for any thread.
    I don’t have a need to block anyone, and haven’t argued with anyone either for these reasons, and I’d hazard a guess that’s the same with most on here.

chakaping
    Free Member

You don’t need a ‘widget’ to ignore someone.

It’s marvellous though.

Always makes me smile to go into a thread about Muslims or the EU and see the words “Jambalaya said something stupid”.

Cougar – can we have that recap on what the deal is now then please?

tjagain

Barkm – when you have a poster whos main aim on the forum seems to be to wind you up until you snap and somehow manages to not get banned ( permanently – has served several short bans for racist slurs and personal abuse) by keeping it just about inside the rules then a block is very handy. Constantly having to ignore personal slurs, lies, false accusations and racist slurs is pretty unpleasant. Seeing “*name redacted* said something stupid” instead is much easier

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-killfile-plugin/page/2

PJM1974
    Free Member

Here you go then.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions?hl=en-GB

Thanks for the pointer – is there a chrome extension which will work both ways – i.e. the blocker and blockee will not see one another’s posts?

I do think that such a system will help avoid the toxicity that’s been creeping in of late.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

TJ time to get the bike out 🙂 Your just winding yourself up in here, everyone knows what you mean.

tjagain

I’m not wound up at all. seriously. Just killing a bit of time before the surveyor comes round.

scotroutes

I don’t get it. If someone is trolling then blank them.

Don’t call them out for it.
    Don’t mention them.
    Don’t refer to them.

Some folk are attention seeking cockwombles. Any attention is a result.

Cougar

is there a chrome extension which will work both ways – i.e. the blocker and blockee will not see one another’s posts?

There’s no way you can affect someone else’s browser.

Fortunately.

zokes
    Free Member

There’s no way you can affect someone else’s browser.

Well, you could run a mountain biking website which occasionally pushes more than dubious ads to its visitors 😆

Dickyboy

try not to be a dick please

Can we add dick to the swear filter, then my feelings won’t be so hurt

Jamie
    Free Member

We’re 9 pages in, so I assume someone has pointed out this thread’s descent into irony?

angeldust
    Free Member

Sorry Dicky

perchypanther
    Free Member

Darth Cougar…..

jimjam
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

We’re 9 pages in, so I assume someone has pointed out this thread’s descent into irony?

Apparently this is a desirable feature to which every thread must aspire.

Thread rating 5.5/10

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Always makes me smile to go into a thread about Muslims or the EU and see the words “Jambalaya said something stupid”

You need a widget to tell you that?

I guess that’s me off on holiday for a wee while

aracer
    Free Member

As Cougar says, it’s not technically possible to do because it’s an add on to your browser, effectively “reskinning” STW and adding extra functionality which all decent forums have already. What you want would require re-engineering of the STW forum itself – I’m sure they’ll consider it as part of the new forum which is due any time now…

I’m not sure if I’ve missed it, but there doesn’t seem to have been a direct link to the add-on:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/singletrack-world-forum-e/cpgdlmbifgbhcoigdoeoooakijdionop?hl=en-GB

I think that’s what people are using – or is there also something else? I’m fairly familiar with how that works, as whilst I didn’t write the original I did the latest updates on it – I use it myself, though mainly for easy quoting rather than blocking. I’ll take requests for updates (those which are technically feasible), though have to warn you that the update cycle isn’t much more rapid than for the STW forum – I think it’s a couple of years since I did an update and I have some things I want to add myself which haven’t made much progress (mainly one which will only keep me and JY happy 😉 )

tjagain

I linked above to the thread that had an stw poster on it that wrote a blocking scripot

Cougar

I’m not sure if I’ve missed it, but there doesn’t seem to have been a direct link to the add-on:

Balls, just spotted I messed up the copy & paste of the URL so my post makes no sense!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes you can block what you see, you can’t block what others see which is what the question was about. Just because you block somebody doesn’t mean they can’t see what you post, this ain’t facebook 😉
    What you type is on the record unless a mod removes it.

wors

I don’t get it. If someone is trolling then blank them.

Don’t call them out for it.
    Don’t mention them.
    Don’t refer to them.

Some folk are attention seeking cockwombles. Any attention is a result.

+1

enfht
    Free Member

If ever there was a textbook case of triggering it would be the hissy fit a racist pulls when they’re called out for being racist, often coupled with the trope of “Islam is not a race”

Where are all these racists of which you speak, zokes? I’ve not seen any on STW. Please report any you find and allow STW to ban them.

Oh, and islam is definitely not a race. It’s not something you’re born with, it’s not genetic, some call it a belief system, others call it a religion, others call it a death cult. Take your pick treacle. 8)

sbob
    Free Member

enfht – Member

Oh, and islam is definitely not a race. It’s not something you’re born with, it’s not genetic, some call it a belief system, others call it a religion, others call it a death cult. Take your pick treacle.

Why don’t you tell us of your black and muslim friends enfht? 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Please report any you find and allow STW to ban them.

I think it’s safest to keep you here…we all know what you’re like. Let’s just call it your safe space, snowflake. Are you all done for attention today or would you like a little more?

Drac

I think it’s safest to keep you here…we all know what you’re like. Let’s just call it your safe space, snowflake. Are you all done for attention today or would you like a little more?

tjagain

legal definition of racism includes islamophobia.

During my time on here I have seen bans for racist postings.

theotherjonv

Irrespective of TJ’s legal definitions; he might be right you know, strictly speaking it isn’t a race and therefore intolerance against all muslims because of the actions of a tiny minority might not strictly be racism. But in the absence of an obvious different word i think we can still see why it’s used.

Maybe bigot? Is that preferable to the racists bigots?

Either way – not a label i’d like to carry.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have seen bans for racist postings.

Had one of those myself. 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

tjagain – Member

Barkm – when you have a poster whos main aim on the forum seems to be to wind you up

Considering that you can’t read his posts (unless quoted, I know) and haven’t been able to for some time and he knows this, isn’t it more of a wind up for you to keep reminding him (for he can read your posts) that you block his posts?

I doubt there are many chat forum users that aren’t aware you block him, or that Edukator has mechanophilic feelings towards his Renault or that binners loves Greggs, for example. 😉

Drac

During my time on here I have seen bans for racist postings.

You’ ve never mentioned it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If we get one more reported post of someone being a bellend on these threads, irrespective of who’s guilty or innocent I’ll blanket ban all the big hitter parties for a month and to hell with collateral damage.

Are we clear?

Can I have an up to date list of Big Hitters before I report something please?

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 348 total)

The topic ‘So here's the deal’ is closed to new replies.