Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 348 total)
  • So here's the deal
  • tjagain

esselgruntfuttock – Member

I think TJ should be a moderator.

There, I said it.

Well I am a very moderate man. I could moderate ’em

Drac

A firm slap of moderation – “you stop posting tripe”

We’d forever be moderating if that was the case.

Northwind

I used to mod a motorbike forum. I was shit at it. But if you want someone to ban Chewkw, Jamba and Ninfan then sign me up. I’ll do TJ while we’re at it, for lolz. Then possibly myself

SaxonRider

Did I do something to piss someone off by starting that religion thread? If so, I’m sorry.

My penance rests in the fact that I have no idea what ‘parklife’ means, and the purpose of the thread was lost pages ago. 😐

P.S. Cougar, for what it’s worth, you’ve got my support.

SaxonRider

I don’t find tj especially difficult. Is he doing stuff behind the scenes some of us can’t see?

tjagain

Yup – the more I think about it the more I believe that early intervention saves threads. A few times since my return I have been getting a bit carried away and someone has pointed this out. Its enough to make me stop.

So rather than waiting until it hits the high threshold you use for bans just jump in and tell folk to stop behaving like brats or face a ban – publicly on the thread.

” oi TJ – you have made that point 17 times already, you are getting carried away again. chill man” would usually be enough for me. Would it for others? If followed by a ban with no warning if they don’t stop it should be and perhaps they woulod soon learn. Personally I think the warning / reality check on the thread would be enough for me to calm down. But if I didn’t a ban would be well deserved.

sometimes you simply don’t realise how it looks to others

tjagain

SaxonRider – Member

I don’t find tj especially difficult. Is he doing stuff behind the scenes some of us can’t see?

I think its more something in the way I post really annoys some folk but not others. I have my theories why this is but voicing them would certainly lead to a ban.

newrobdob
    Free Member

A small minority of people are making this Not Fun at times quite a lot.

FTFY

Frankly I’m still sick of the passive aggressive BS on here, if this was a pub most of the “big hitters” would have been barred or glassed long ago. A lot of people need to take a long hard look at themselves and ask if they really would treat people the way they do on here.

This all the time.

SaxonRider

Really, robdob? Quite a lot?!?

I’m genuinely sorry you feel that way.

I have to say that, at worst, there are times when no particularly interesting threads come up – sometimes for a few days straight – and I therefore go quiet.

But the days when this place could become ‘not fun’ for any serious reason and for any serious length of time, always seemed to me to be well in the past.

RustySpanner

SaxonRider – Member
    Did I do something to piss someone off by starting that religion thread? If so, I’m sorry.

It’s a really interesting thread, I’m glad you started it

My penance rests in the fact that I have no idea what ‘parklife’ means, and the purpose of the thread was lost pages ago.

How has the purpose been lost?
    If anything to do with me, I apologise, but threads by their very nature, drift and it’s a mostly well mannered, thoroughly interesting discussion.

jambourgie
    Free Member

How about no moderation. Wild West, no rules, **** the police. It’s just the internet. Or at least ditch the report button.

Give the mods a handsome redundancy package of course.

tomhoward

If cougar loses the edge, who’s gonna slide into his spot at mirramar?

bruneep

This ^

newrobdob
    Free Member

Really, robdob? Quite a lot?!?

Yes. The way some people act in here I really wouldn’t want to meet them in person, I actively avoid threads which have certain people in them. As a Christian I regularly feel sick to my stomach the way people talk about people with beliefs. I would have something to offer in such discussions but it’s like a 1960’s sitcom and I’m the token immigrant so I don’t go near them.

The one person who I have met off this forum who I really liked was Hora, and after my long break I found out he wasn’t around any more and was quite sad. Considering a permanent break now as I think the forum has become worse as far as the “feeling” is on here.

There’s a lot of hatred on here but a lot of people don’t see it, the people who feel it just leave.

Cougar

I think its more something in the way I post really annoys some folk but not others. I have my theories why this is but voicing them would certainly lead to a ban.

If it helps with your introspection any, you seem to me to be a very binary, all or nothing sort of guy. I don’t mean that as an insult, you said it yourself on a post last week. Unfortunately written communication doesn’t lend itself well to that sort of outlook, it loses whatever subtlety and nuance might’ve been there in the first place. As such it’s very easy to take your posts the wrong way. IMHO.

Eg, face to face one might call someone out with a smile on their face and it’s interpreted as good-natured banter. In text it’s read as “WTF is his problem?” instead. And that’s not just an issue for you, it’s an issue inherent with forums generally. I suffer greatly from this too, I forget people don’t know me IRL and sometimes say things which get misunderstood and I later regret. I do try to correct myself when it happens, though by that point sometimes people don’t want to listen.

Cougar

There’s a lot of hatred on here but a lot of people don’t see it, the people who feel it just leave.

You know, I’m a cynical bastard at the best of times, but I don’t believe that’s true at all. I think there’s a number of people who enjoy… lively debate, and there’s a couple with a chip on their shoulder about various things. But there’s a lot of love here too. Look at any of the threads where people have asked for help, whether it’s a simple “what phone” thread or “my life has fallen apart.” Some people can be spiky, but when the chips are down the community can be truly exceptional.

Poopscoop

The most heavily “regulated” forum I have ever been on was OcUK.

It may have changed over the years as the owner of the company it is linked to stepped back from/sold the company.

It was pretty much zero tolerance.

As such even a certain level of sarcasm could lead to a ban. Which would mean this forum would be empty over night. 😉

It sort of worked but had a mass of moderators to enforce The Law with seemingly unlimited time on their hands.

Posts concerning people asking for advice on depression etc were actually removed on OcUK believe it or not! For “liability” reasons. Actually any “medical thread” was banned for same reason. I kid you not. I found it pretty inhumane.

Anyway,i only dabble in the EU thread but I can see that emotions run high in it. Perhaps they should, within limits as it’s going to dominate the news for a while to come.

My only negative experience on here was the LingWars(™) thread really. Where it got so personal I really didn’t feel comfortable with it.

Ive been far more “combative” ever since that thread of I’m truthful. Trouble is I was used to the main Biking forum which is a lot tamer on the whole.

The Ling thread was an eye opener.

Still,i love the forums on here and almost all the posters seem decent people, ditto the mods.

I still don’t get all the in jokes on occasion though, hence having to ask what the heck “don’t like the sponge” meant. 😀

tomhoward

Some people can be spiky

Don’t forget those of us in the cheap seats, throwing peanuts at both sides…

SaxonRider

@newrobdob: PM just sent re: your comments above.

Don’t forget those of us in the cheap seats, throwing peanuts at both sides…

Forget? We’re judging you from ringside!

Jamie
    Free Member

Posts concerning people asking for advice on depression etc were actually removed on OcUK believe it or not! For “liability” reasons. Actually any “medical thread” was banned for same reason. I kid you not. I found it pretty inhuma

I can understand that, tho. When you have a forum attached to a successful company you can’t afford to have those sorts of liabilities. Plus it’s easier to have a blanket policy which may not always be the most nuanced.

Cougar

It sort of worked but had a mass of moderators to enforce

A luxury we do not have.

mefty
    Free Member

#isitok – to find much of this thread very funny

Jamie
    Free Member

Only if it’s ok for me to find hashtags in forum threads ridiculous 8)

scotroutes

SaxonRider –

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSuHrTfcikU[/video]

mefty
    Free Member

I’m sad it is the first time I have ever used one. #fail.

Poopscoop

Cougar – Moderator

A luxury we do not have.

Absolutely. Even if stw had the luxury,it can lad to a very sterile environment. Safe but sterile.

tjagain

Cougar – Moderator

A luxury we do not have. [/quote]

Me me me me pick me – I am so moderate I could be the bestest moderator ever!

Cougar

Over here in East Lancashire I think I just felt the tremors from an explosion in Hebden Bridge.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

But the big disputing threads make money for Mark. He needs the hits to keep the money coming in!

Poopscoop

Oh, forgot to say!

This thread could be HUGE!

200 pages +??

(Bans will star kicking in at about page 8 I reckon?)

😀 😉

EDIT: Really wish people used emoticons more though. It can add a bit of real intent into a sentence/conversion even though many consider then childish. As Cougar said, forums are a pig to get your real, benign, meaning across sometimes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Over here in East Lancashire I think I just felt the tremors from an explosion in Hebden Bridge.

We just got a missile alert text here in Tassie 😉 (seriously that one is a joke I repeat a joke)

On a plus side the spam posters/link droppers seems to have reduced significantly so something must have got better or I’m just not in the right time zone to catch them.

Cougar

This thread could be HUGE!

Nah, I’m gonna close it soon I think.

On a plus side the spam posters/link droppers seems to have reduced significantly

No, we’re just good at killing them because we’re AWESUM!!1!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I know you lot are good at killing them but you weren’t doing it in your sleep 😉 used to lot in UK early hours of the morning or mid afternoon here which would all disappear when the first mod woke up

tomhoward

A luxury we do not have.

Scotroutes not pulling his weight again?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Apart from a few threads (Skiing, TrainerRoad, PowerMeter) I tend to ignore threads with 3+ pages. I find a couple of pages is enough to understand an issue; the subject matter experts will have contributed and opinions expressed. More than that generally indicates that the thread is probably going round in circles with people in entrenched positions.

Poopscoop

I reckon everyone is waiting on cougar to go to kip before burning this thread down. Lol

Cougar

I know you lot are good at killing them but you weren’t doing it in your sleep used to lot in UK early hours of the morning or mid afternoon here which would all disappear when the first mod woke up

Yeah, that’s the only blind spot really. Not a lot we can do about that short of recruiting an Eastern European moderator.

Cougar

I reckon everyone is waiting on cougar to go to kip before burning this thread down. Lol

Shithead. (-:

Good luck with that anyway, I’m nocturnal.

SaxonRider

If so, I will plead innocent now, as I’m about to shut down for the night.

See you in the morning.

Poopscoop

Cougar – Moderator
    Good luck with that anyway, I’m nocturnal.

Nah, not totally!

Remember the rash of “do you think” threads that appeared early morning recently?

Think it was early morning anyway! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 348 total)

The topic ‘So here's the deal’ is closed to new replies.