Home Forums Bike Forum Small space no drill bike storage

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Small space no drill bike storage
    bikesandboots

Need to fit 3 MTBs into a small room without taking up the whole space. No drilling allowed. What should I be considering?

One has full mudguards and a front platform racks (16kg), and is always in one piece. The others are trail bikes (15kg, 20kg) with big rear mudhuggers and normal front mudguards, and always have the front wheels removed for car transport.

I knew about the Topeak Dual Touch floor to ceiling air cylinder thing already. I like that it’s horizontal so probably good for brakes and suspension. Bike without front wheel might not balance on it, but if it works for one bike up out of the way that would help. Ceiling joist might not be in the right place to position it optimally. Feedback Sports do a similar one.

Bike Nook seems to work fine, lot of MTBs seen in this example.

BikeStow Up might not work with rear mudguards. And it’s £190 for some cleverly designed plywood.

Stashed now do a freestanding SpaceRail. But it’s £900 and needs the front wheel to be in place which would be inconvenient.

I’d also consider DIY. Make a frame to hold the bikes vertically via a fork axle mount.

dyna-ti

Maybe something like this ?

6449-001-sliding-bike-storage-rack-track-with-hooks-buller-24854

thols2

I have a BookNook type one in my office, works perfectly. Only concern would be if racks or guards cause problems.

bens
    Free Member

I’ve got the Lidl (or Aldi) equivalent of the Thule Dual thing. I have 2 hardtails hanging on it. Works fine with wheels on or off. You just need to shuffle the bikes along a bit to find the balancing point. The ‘hanger’ bits pivot to help you get them balanced.

Mine is in the garage and bears onto a the ceiling joist. I can’t help thinking it might damage the plaster if it was in the house. I’m also not sure I’d want to hang my ebike on there (20kg). It would probably be ok but to be honest, the hooks probably wouldn’t fit around the frame anyway.

I’ve found the best way to hang the bikes so they take up the least space is to remove the front wheel and turn the bars 90*. Droppers dropped and shoved as high up as possible but it’s amazing how much space bikes actually take up.

towzer

Can you get a cheap secondhand storage racking set,

1 Two tall sides with cross bars and then use that as the hanging rail system

2 I got a very wide unit (900 shelves) and set the lowest shelf just above bike height, I left the bottom front side to side bar our and I have 3 bikes leaning against each other under shelf (* but 1 bike is used a lot , next is mrs and inert is a spare)

zippykona

My shopper has full mudguards so wheel out and turn bars is not an option.

I bought one of these years ago and it’s a game changer. Really well made .

https://byschulz.com/product/stem-twist-sds/?lang=en

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You just need to use a spreader board to distribute the load on the ceiling with those telescopic jobbers.

It will be a bit of a fiddle, but you ve set some pretty tight constraints on what’s possible.

A diy option would be scaffold, poles and some clamps. You could build a frame to your liking then, and have it freestanding on the floor.

bikesandboots

Maybe something like this ?

Buller rail. Needs drilling and front wheels fitted.

Can you get a cheap secondhand storage racking set,

A diy option would be scaffold, poles and some clamps. You could build a frame to your liking then, and have it freestanding on the floor.

Something like this does appeal.

I bought one of these years ago and it’s a game changer. Really well made .

https://byschulz.com/product/stem-twist-sds/?lang=en

Shame they don’t come in shorter than 75mm.

It will be a bit of a fiddle, but you ve set some pretty tight constraints on what’s possible.

Indeed, choices I made before I could imagine owning 3 bikes!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.