Home Forums Chat Forum Slightly pitched felt roof. Problem?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Slightly pitched felt roof. Problem?
  • uselesshippy
    Free Member

Me and Mrs Hippy are looking at buying a house with a slightly pitched felt roof, as well as this it has no loft, so bedroom ceiling a bit of insulation (I presume) and then the roof. I know nothing about this so thought I’d ask the stw hive mind, is the roof doomed to leak, and will the bedrooms be freezing in winter/boiling in summer?

Apart from that, the house is lovely….

Cheers

retrorick

Yes, hot in summer, cold in winter and it’ll leak or rot eventually.

Could you re roof? Lower the internal ceiling, insulate and ventilate and tile assuming the pitch is great enough to take tiles?

Ianar(oofer).

bear-uk
    Free Member

Yes to both.

Sorry to pee on your fireworks but a felt roof is definitely going to leak at some point.

And if it’s old, then insulation wasn’t the big deal it is now.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

That’s what I was thinking. Too flat to tile I think, but did think you could raise a bit and add more insulation when the roof needed redoing.

5lab
    Free Member

Edpm is a lot more leak proof than felt, there are some tiling systems that allow low angles (down to 15 degrees maybe?) as well

bear-uk
    Free Member

You might have to overboard the ceiling with insulated plasterboard if you can’t enough depth from the top.

And fibre glass or even rubber for the roof.

I’m about to do my shed roof in rubber. (EPDM) As it’s so easy to do and has something like a 25 year lifespan.

MoreCashThanDash

Is this the whole roof or just part?

I’d be budgetting for a proper tiled roof to be added, and offering accordingly.

Squirrel

Flat roofs don’t have to leak. Or, at least, not for a long time. You might be able to put insulation on top of the felt, which helps protect it as well as reducing heat loss.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.