Home Forums Bike Forum Skiddaw / Ullock Pike – 'best' way up?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Skiddaw / Ullock Pike – 'best' way up?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

It seems to be accepted on STW that the connoisseur’s descent off Skiddaw if via Ullock Pike, hoping to ride that over New Year (weather dependent).

Are there alternative ways up to the huge bridleway leading up from the Lattrig carpark? I guess that one is the most rideable?

cheers

nosedive
    Free Member

I’ve only ever been up the huge bridleway, even that is steep and becomes unrideable (for me) fairly quickly though. It does make for a relatively easy push up given the height you are gaining though.

Have you been up there before? i went up in April, the wind was so strong at the top I had to crawl pulling the bike behind me, and that was on a relatively calm day. Keep a god eye on the weather if you are going up at this time of year

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ve walked up several times, and it does always seem to be windy up on the summit, it’s pretty flat and exposed which doesnt help. This will be a snow / wind / rain dependent trip, but we’re in Keswick for a week so may get a chance to ride it.

lowey

Yeah.. make a proper ride of it.

Latrigg, Lonscale Crag, Skiddaw House then take the BW to Dash falls, but at the gate just above Dash, take a left following the fence line up onto Bakestall then follow the ridge to the top of Skiddaw. Brutal carry though.

boxelder

Icy snow at the moment though – I’d give it a miss

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

Lonscale Crag? Lonscale Fell.

wilde86
    Free Member

ive ridden skiddaw twice this year, most recently in October – and it was very cold and windy at the top (more so than usual (of that altitude/open-ness).

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/skiddaw-circuit-and-summit

this is the trail we followed. Pretty good and IMO the best route to take at this time of year. It runs around Skiddaw to the YH, then theres a sweet descent singletrack following the contours (be careful, its slippy and very steep-edged!) round to Latrigg carpark – then its at least an hour push up to the summit – if anyones ridden this, they deserve a medal… for the best bullsh1tter award!

great ride, and the descent from the top is well worth the pain of getting there!

enjoy 🙂

lowey
    wilde86
    Free Member

😉

binners

Dash falls is one hell of a climb. I think its unrideable too. A definite push. As nosedive said though, you get your height quick.

I’ve done Skiddaw a couple of years ago at this time of year (between crimbo and new year). It was great. Light dusting of snow and the ground frozen solid. Dear god it was cold up there though! You’re very exposed up top! I think the extreme cold was a factor in all 3 of us snapping our chains on the climb, within a mile! 😯

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ve just come back from climbing a 6000m meter mountain in the Himalayas, so I’ve got the cold weather gear (though plastic boots dont offer much grip on flat pedals..) -30c anyone?

Not thought about riding the Back of Skiddaw route clockwise THEN cimbing to the summit, that is a proper ride. Atually, that would be 2 rides for me…

lowey

A good summer ride I did this year also took in Great Calva, Knott, Great Sca Fell and the long long descent to Longlands, then back over Skiddaw via Bakestall. Was a brutal day out, but one of the best rides of this year.

wilde86
    Free Member

Lowey – thats a long ride?! Do you have a map/route you can share??

haha im sure if you can climb 6000m, you will be fine with Skiddaw, its actually a really good ride, not technical at all and pretty easy, bar the climb to the summit. Worth doing all in one, you will be disappointed if you dont! 😉

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

bugger me! 😀 most sorry

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Lowey – Great Sca Fell to Longlands: Is that down the BW, or is there a way down to Trusmadoor?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’ve ridden up to Skddaw House from Keswick a few times, always anti clockwise though. Then I’ve either carried on around the back of Skiddaw, turned right behind Blencathra or come back down the otherside of Glenderaterra for a short day.

If it ices up proper I’ll break out the crampons and axes.

lowey

Great Sca Fell to Longlands: Is that down the BW

The BW mate. Longest legal constant downhill in the lakes. Its possible to get from Great Sca Fell to Longlands gate without pedalling once (if its dry)

you will be fine with Skiddaw, its actually a really good ride, not technical at all and pretty easy

Ullock is VERY technical matey.

Wilde, not got a route in jpeg… but the ride description is here :-

Blog Entry – Skiddaw Epic.

wilde86
    Free Member

Sorry, im referring to Skiddaw round and up(the link i put up) as un-technical.

Not ridden ullock, but if its VERY tech, i certainly look forward to it come spring!

Cheers for the route description!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

At the height of my powers over the summer I was driving past Keswick one evening with my XC race bike in the boot, so I stopped off, rode round Latrigg as a warm up then attempted to ride to the top of Skiddaw. It was absolutely brutal, I managed to ride all of it, but on the steep bits I was doing 2-3 minute blasts then having to stop to recover. It’s not easy, but it is the easiest way of getting to the top I think.

If the weather is good to ride Ullock Pike, which it won’t be, you could do a lot worse than pushing back up from the bottom and descending Carlside as well.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Rode up the BW to Great Sca Fell a few years ago. Was a grassy slog, but would be good going t’other way.
    But then we snuck over to Knot and down Burn Tod which is absolutly brilliant.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks again, I’ll take these ideas up with me. I realise winter isnt the best time to be riding Ullock Pike, but I’ll keep the 42a tyres on an hopefully get to give it a go. Techie aint a problem, but ramblers, wind, snow etc might be.

When you say Carlside, do you mean more cheeky stuff over White Stones?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

ps – just read that blog…****tting hilarious! Thanks for that.

lowey

When you say Carlside, do you mean more cheeky stuff over White Stones?

Carlside.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The best way to do Ullock given the current conditions would be via Dodd wood,(all rideable) and then on to Carlside, see Loweys map at Whitestones(a push)avoiding the slog up Skiddaw.

Ullock is probably the best ridgeline descent in the Lakes with one (almostish) unrideable section, allthough were workin on it!

Soft compound tyres, a low seat height, and big B’### Ks optional

Hope the weathers good, if it is, its well worth doing 😉

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I remember walking up through Dodd Wood a few years ago, that makes sense. Cheers

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

So GaVgAs, you wouldnt bother riding to the summit of Skiddaw in order to ride off the top down to Carlside? Pushing up that scree slope would be horrendous, it’s bad enough without a bike.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

(To do Ullock) In the current conditions, the push up Carlside from Dodd would be much easier than the scree slope (downhill) off Skiddaw Summitt.

The Skiddaw descent to Ullock is pretty tricky even in the best trail conditions,I would be crazy to do Skiddaw to Ullock with ice and snow on it (from Latrigg).

To just do Skiddaw a “up and back” from Latrigg is ok but its far from the best route in the area…having said that its getting milder up here so things are improving.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks, this is a week away so weather may change, just wondered if the ride is worth doing if conditions arent right for Skiddaw down to Carlside. Sounds like Ullock Pike is worth it on its own.

stoney
    Free Member

I was told about this thread last night in the pub and Parktiger mentioned this…… (as wild86 said)if anyones ridden this, they deserve a medal… for the best bullsh1tter award!

Well just for the record i have cleared Jenkin Hill twice without stopping (well only to open the gate)and no dabs. Allmost nailed it the other week as well but it was dark and had full leg armour on and that makes a massive difference.

BTW it is by far the quickest way up…….. 😉

Please can i have my BS medal now 😆

wilde86
    Free Member

hahah 🙂 well done stoney, medals in the post! no disrespect, but id have to see it to believe it!

also, what bike were you on to do it? ive seen a few cyclo-cross guys attempt it.. which is no doubt a damn side easier than my orange alpine! lol

stoney
    Free Member

LOL, i bet it get`s lost in the random post that happens this time of year!!!!! 😉

I have witnesses to both times, some of them are ST members…..

Im on a Tinbred, 140Fox Floats, a very low granny and the nose of the saddle right where it shouldnt be!!!! 🙄

parkedtiger
    Free Member

…and a large gang of attractive girls looking on, eh stoney 🙂

anc
    Free Member

Loads of locals have cleared it, if your a good technical climber with average fitness and enough practice you get up.

stoney
    Free Member

Indeed there was an incentive Not to muck it up!!!!! 😉

wilde86
    Free Member

well my mission for 2012 is to ride it then 🙂 new years resolution sorted 🙂

anc
    Free Member

Key is to start really slow, its tough just before the gate so leave plenty in reserve to get over that bit. Also to properly bag it you need someone to open the gate so you can carry on through, having a breather at the gate don’t count as a bag… Thems the rules :-))

stoney
    Free Member

I`m all for following the rules……. :wink:, but it so happened that as i was riding i was therefore 1st to the gate and so had to open it myself…..No stopping for a breather either……
    It still counts in my book! 😉

Differnt story yesrerday though…….The obligitory hangover ride of new year and i only got to the first bend after the bottom gate 😳 😳

Some days its there, and some days its not 🙄

Worst wind i`ve ever been it at the summit 🙄

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Skiddaw / Ullock Pike – 'best' way up?’ is closed to new replies.