Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • flatfish
    Free Member

I should be out over easter too valley daddy.
    Ride from aberdare to glyncorrwg then back again.
    Not that it’s that far.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Yes I’ve done that a few times, there and back in a day easily.

Just always make the mistake if eating too much at the Drop off and suffering on the way back :oops:

Ok flatfish maybe we can sort a trip out over Easter, I am sure Steve would be up for a local one too, assuming he can get out of family duties.

AJ
    Free Member

penny stove arrived today.

Fool I hear you say but i’m not one of those people who can follow instructions well. But now I’ve got one to copy so will be churning them out by the dozen.

The thing weighs nowt and burns really really well.

I’m Happy

flatfish
    Free Member

The boss has just rang and i’ve had a pink ticket stamped for an easter overnighter.

stevemorg2

should be up for that depending on what day – hopefully I won’t get as many punctures as I did last weekend!

flatfish
    Free Member

NOBODY can get as many punctures as you Steve. :wink:

IanB
    Free Member

You should go tubeless Steve. Recently changed a pair of tyres that had worn out – on close inspection of the inside of the casing I pulled out 8 large thorns. First time I’d been aware of them as no loss of pressure.

slugwash
    Free Member

Just finished my MYOG meths/solid fuel stove ready for this weekend’s Dartmoor bivi trip.

It burns meths one way up, but flip it over (and insert a couple of old cut down spokes) and it becomes a solid fuel/twig burning furnace :-)

Meths mode…

Solid Fuel….

All the bits + fuel…

One fuel tablet gets it to boiling (without foil lid) in about 41/2 minutes. About the same for meths…

It packs down small and fits discreetly in your handbag ;-)

Food for this weekend’s trip (excluding coffee bags & Nairns Fruit Oatcakes). I’m using the freezer bag method of cooking http://www.trailcooking.com/ …..

Food Photo With Notes[/url]

And, for those of you who’ve been following this thread recently, I’ll be throwing caution to the wind and testing the Snugpak Travel Lite sleeping bag 8O

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Good stuff. The custard is a great idea, I was eating apple pie and custard last weekend … doesn’t half just warm you up before bedtime :D

slugwash
    Free Member

Actually, I ate the custard about half-an-hour ago.

Not to worry though, I’ll pop into Sainsburys later and get some more when I pick up the coffee bags :-)

Anthony
    Free Member

Good luck with the Travel Lite! We’re up onto Kinder Scout tonight and forecast is hovering zero even down in the valley. Alpkit PD800 for me, although I’m only on a 3/4 balloon bed so will loose a fair bit to the ground. It packs easily into 8L drybag so it’s not a big issue.

Stove looks great, should one assume the pegs are ti? That looks like a lot of fuel for the amount of food laid out!

slugwash
    Free Member

Stove looks great, should one assume the pegs are ti? That looks like a lot of fuel for the amount of food laid out!

Cheers! No, they’re not ti. I took them from my bnggered wheel collectiom (105 hub/Mavic CXP33 Rim. a combination I’m never going to use again so I can afford to lose the odd sized spokes :wink: )

There’s a lot of fuel there ‘cos I’ll be testing the set up in the field and boring my gas-stove cooking companions with back to back solid fuel vs. meths vs. elder twigs MYOG stove demonstrations ;-)

I’m also on a balloon bed but have done a risk assessment regarding the weather (Dartmoor Weather Station) and reckon my chances of survival are fair to middling with the Travel Lite (and a back up Vango Venom 150 as a liner if necessary).

We’re plotting up down in a wooded ‘ravine’ next to the River Dart as we suspect that the open moor will be crawling with yoofs out on Ten Tor manouveres.

Enjoy Kinder :-)

slackman99
    Free Member

Slugwash

What is you’re windscreen/pot support made out of (or have I missed it?)

slugwash
    Free Member

What is you’re windscreen/pot support made out of

A sheet of aluminium that shinythings (of this forum) gave me….

Apparently, he used some on his boy-racer souped-up Audi Quattro engine to dissapate excess heat or something like that. Not exactly what you want your windshield to do :-)

Anthony
    Free Member

What a superb trip, Kinder was cold over night but warm blue skies today meant there was a lot of fun to be had. Someone else was enjoying it to, we arrived 11pm to the spot we had in mind to find 3 tents had already tucked up for the night!!

New ‘Travel Tap’ water filter- tested and great.
    New ‘Caldera Cone’ stove- tested and great.
    New ‘Storm Matches’- flippin brilliant for lighting cold meths.

I weighed my complete 25L pack (all kit inside, we were yomping not riding this time) at 7.3kg. For my full on winter kit I was quite happy with that. Weight includes tent, -18′ sleeping bag, food, water and filter, stove, & fuel, pots, down jacket, gloves/hat, and sundries. No camera though :-(

Roll on the next trip.

willard
    valleydaddy
    Free Member

willard – great link

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/Page/index.aspx

looking forward to trying some out soon

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Any pics from the weekend events?

slugwash
    Free Member

Any pics from the weekend events?

Having problems with flickr at the moment uploading and editing but here’s a few…

Crossing the river…

Woodburning mode (only in emergencies from now on. Solid fuel is best!)…..

The view upon waking….

First coffee of the day…

Morning airing…

On the walk back out of the woods. WTF? ….

March Dartmoor Bivi[/url]

hilldodger
    Free Member

Popped my bivi cherry last night :D
    Kit performed well, full moon was ‘awesome’ and the woods at night are full of demonic creatures lurking just out of sight :?
    Haven’t got the cooking thing worked out properly so munched on flapjacks, porridge with dried fruit, more flapjacks, chocolate, coffee and a fine malt – will try ‘proper’ food next time as that combination was a bit explosive :oops:

Thanks for the inspiration guys, I think I’m hooked…..

charliedontsurf

Dead sheep
    Body board
    Tsunami or eeerr I dunno that is just elfin freaky

plodtv
    Free Member

I’m using the freezer bag method of cooking http://www.trailcooking.com/ …..

what exactly is, tried to read that site but it seemed to be a lot about the recipes and not about what to do (but I have had a bit too much cider right now)

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Slug… No bike this trip then?

slugwash
    Free Member

Slug… No bike this trip then?

No, due to logistical bike carrying problems for persons coming from further afield (who didn’t show up :wink: ) we chose to plot up at the hard-to-get-to-by-bike but fookin’ beautiful riverside location. It’ll be bikes and a moor crossing to another of our favourite locations on the next one in a couple of weeks or so.

FREEZER BAG COOKERY – what exactly is it, tried to read that site but it seemed to be a lot about the recipes and not about what to do (but I have had a bit too much cider right now)

In a nutshell (or a freezer bag :wink: ), it’s rehydrating/cooking yer nosh with near boiling water in a freezer bag insulated in a little home-made cosy. Great for lightweight, washing up free excursions.

However, not without its problems as I don’t think that the others were too impressed with my spontaneous campfire-side custard fountain caused by the action of a spork’s prongs on the delicate fabric of a freezer bag :-)

willard

Yay! Just ordered my new sleeping bag and mat from Alpkit. Went for a SkyHigh 800 and Dirtbag as the best trade-off between weight and comfort. With any luck they will be with me in the next couple of days, so I might be able to try them out this weekend.

I have to say though, the people at Alpkit are really good. Very friendly and efficient.

plodtv
    Free Member

In a nutshell (or a freezer bag ), it’s rehydrating/cooking yer nosh with near boiling water in a freezer bag insulated in a little home-made cosy. Great for lightweight, washing up free excursions.

However, not without its problems as I don’t think that the others were too impressed with my spontaneous campfire-side custard fountain caused by the action of a spork’s prongs on the delicate fabric of a freezer bag

sounds impressive, did you dehydrate the food yourself? If you went for a spoon instead of the spork would that minimise the risk?

slugwash
    Free Member

sounds impressive, did you dehydrate the food yourself?

No, I put some rice, sunflower seeds, dried veg, sundried toms, chilli powder and biltong in the bag and added water.

If you went for a spoon instead of the spork would that minimise the risk?

Yep, for sure, although no-one was seriously scalded in Saturday night’s Dartmoor custard fountain disaster one of my fellow campers might have had to explain some dodgy stains on his trousers to his fiancee ;-)

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

one of my fellow campers might have had to explain some dodgy stains on his trousers to his fiancee

What happens in the woods, stay’s in the woods :oops:

JxL
    Free Member

damn you guys, why on earth did I open this thread!!! After going through 15 pages I am now planning a trip myself :-s

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

JxL Thats the attitude, welcome………….

tim41
    Free Member

I’m still having nightmares about jets of boiling custard spraying towards me 8O
    Good trip out and excellent pictures as usual slugs

Shinythings
    Free Member

Glad you mentioned the custard fountain… cos I would’ve :-)

Cracking bivvy as usual. Got home and promptly fell asleep on the sofa!

When’s the next one then??

MrSparkle

Reet, the gear acquisition has commenced! Check this out – winner baby!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

There’ll be no stopping you now … it’s a slippery slope you’re now on and it leads to a dark place :wink:

valleydaddy
    Free Member

and I am loving the slope I am on :lol:

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Hay Slugwash how was the Snugpak Travel Lite bag? Did you use a liner?

slugwash
    Free Member

how was the Snugpak Travel Lite bag? Did you use a liner?

I used my meagre Vango venom 150 down bag as a liner and I was very comfortable. The combination worked well and I guess the temperature outside was 3 or 4 degrees. I’ll risk using the Travel Lite by itself when it’s a bit warmer but, so far, I think it’s a good bag :-)

I had a slight condensation problem inside my Rab Survival Zone bivi bag but it didn’t affect the down bag, only the Snugpak where it was in contact with the bivi bag. This lead me to think that if I put the sleeping bag inside my trekmates microfleece liner (which is less absorbant and easier to dry out) then this might save the sleeping bag from a condensation ingress problem. Unfortunately, I can’t test my theory out at present ‘cos I’ve mislaid the fleece liner :-(

(must get a life :wink: )

willard

<Warning>Right, I am about to sing the praises of Alpkit.</Warning>

I ordered a SH800 sleeping bag and Dirtbag mat from them yesterday. They were very polite on the phone to me and said they would get them out the same day.

I’d just got back from lunch today and found a package waiting for me from… Alpkit! I am now the very proud owner of a new sleeping bag (which is long enough for me) and a new mat. Not only that, but Izzy had put a note in thanking me for buying them! I’m impressed with them, I really am.

Ok, so I had to get the mat inflated and _might_ have had a try of the sleeping bag too, but to say I am chuffed is an understatement. I might even try them out this weekend if I can persuade the wife to let me!

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

Looking at tarps its a fight off between the Alpkit rig and the integral siltarp, anyone use a siltarp? Its lighter than the alpkit rig so getting pulled towards it, but not seen either in the flesh.

flatfish
    Free Member

Don’t think your special Willard, Izzy writes me love letters too. :wink:

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.