Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • valleydaddy
    Free Member

plodtv where are you based?

Literally there’s tons upon tons of places you could go practicing :wink:

(yes page 20 and IanB didn’t get it :D )

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Bigface0_0 – Member
    C’mon then chaps what do you think about these…
    Alpkit Gourdon 20
    http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16379&category_id=251

For the money they look superb, as long as you keep light stuff in it plus a hydration bag, I’m sure you’ll be fine

plodtv
    Free Member

valleydaddy I am Pencoed/Bridgend based (from the Rhondda originally). Any place that’s as local as possible that you know would be great, just to get a bit of practice in ;)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Ok, I am in Aberdare, so the otherside of your original stomping ground :D

Well just to “test” out your kit just head off into the nearest woodland/hills/beach and camp out off the beaten track away from prying eyes so to speak.

email in profile if you want to discuss off forum :wink:

MrSparkle
    IanB
    Free Member

yes page 20 and IanB didn’t get it

I’m waiting for the 1000’th post ;)

Spamf
    Free Member

I have one living in the bottom of my ‘instuctor’ rucsac, but its never been used. It looks a little too much like suffering for my liking. I have a Marmot Atom that only weighs 400gms, so would much rather go with that. Its a little slice of luxury. Go on and treat your self to a light down bag. You won’t regret it. I know I don’t!!

Anthony
    Free Member

The current Marmot Atom weighs 600g?

Spamf
    Free Member

Perhaps I have it wrong, but it is an older model without a full length zip.

Anthony
    Free Member

A full length zip on it’s own weighs 120-140g, anything sub 400g is likely to have no zip at all. Pop it on the scales :-)

That Furtech site looks interesting, they are making some bold claims. I’m not sure why the first line of their description likens it to ‘Waking up to the sound of snap crackle and pop’!! Not the best selling point really. It’s also a shame it needs vacuum packing to get it down to a decent size.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Just for anyone who cares and all those stuck at work.

Flatfish and myself will be heading out into the Welsh hills this afternoon for a couple of days bikepacking. To make you feel better, take heart in the fact that first thing in the morning we’ll be tackling the highest road pass in Wales … it’s a 1 in 5 and somewhere around 3k long and Flatfish doesn’t know yet :wink:

Have a good weekend.

TheBrick
    Free Member

That Furtech site looks interesting, they are making some bold claims. I’m not sure why the first line of their description likens it to ‘Waking up to the sound of snap crackle and pop’!!

I thought that was a negative point too!

Not the best selling point really. It’s also a shame it needs vacuum packing to get it down to a decent size.

Looks like more of an emergent bag or bag to be used on an adventure race. Hopefully by the time you sleep some food will be gone so freeing up a little pack space? (A guess never done one of these races)

Still I might get one and try it on a summers night, it’s nice not to have to worry about damaging a expensive down bag.

slugwash
    Free Member

Have a good ‘un then guys. We’ve got a full moon Dartmoor one next weekend (come rain or shine). In the meantime I’m limbering up by cooking my lunch at work using homemade meths/solid fuel burners and freezer bags.

Please can someone help free me from these stupid lightweight/MYOG experimental obsessions. I’ve got a couple of perfectly good Trangias at home ;-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8308384@N06/sets/72157626077847855/

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Don’t ask for help slugwash … rejoice in the nerdyness :D

chinocchio
    Free Member

I’ll second that (been lurking round these parts for a while admiring all the inspirational work).

What’s that you’ve used for the windshield/cone slugwash?

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Flatfish and myself will be heading out into the Welsh hills this afternoon for a couple of days bikepacking. To make you feel better, take heart in the fact that first thing in the morning we’ll be tackling the highest road pass in Wales … it’s a 1 in 5 and somewhere around 3k long and Flatfish doesn’t know yet

Have fun chaps, already looking forward to a picture heavy report on your return 8)

Tiger6791

highest road pass in Wales

Assume your scouting you’re deff going north for the WRT then?

That’ll save me some money on maps then :)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Not really scouting but I might cast my eye over a few things whilst out and about :wink:

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Good luck with the adventure this weekend I believe Steve is intending joining up with you tomorrow, sorry I can’t make this one I’ve got to teach the little one the art of single speed balance biking :D

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Aye that’s right Valleydaddy, Steve shall be joining the merry band in the morning … just in time for the climb!

It’s nice to know you’re starting the young un’s off in the right direction … single speed :wink:

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Indeed :wink:

Steve will probably drive his camper van up to the top :lol:

I hope his new kit and inbred serves him well

stevemorg2

No bugger told me about a 1 in 5 climb – I thought this was supposed to be fun!

Pete – we can catch up and do a local one – what do you reckon on the Doethie Valley routes in the last STW? – I think you know the area better than me

valleydaddy
    Free Member

@Steve Yes that’s a great idea Steve with the nights getting later we could make a later start to avoid family issues :wink:

Good luck tomorrow, let me know how the bags and bar mount works out and don’t forget to take some pics

Blake

MrSparkle – Member
    Any thoughts on this? http://www.furtech.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=10

I used something similar in a Polaris a few years back. Basically, avoid if at all possible.

I got through the night but it was pretty damn uncomfortable – very noisy (think a thousand crisp packets being scrunched next to your ears, all night), not breathable and not particularly warm.

Also, once you’ve opened the packet you’ll never get it back to anywhere near the same size, and it was quite fragile material. A bit of a one time only job really.

Anthony
    Free Member

Cheers Blake, ‘sgood to know.

rudedog
    Free Member

apologies if this has already been asked – can anyone recommend a lightish cheapish sleeping bag for bikepacking duties?

Anthony
    Free Member

700gish 1 season sythetic bags can be had for around £30, in fact my synthetic Karrimor was reduced to £13 in Blacks end of season sale. Tesco and Decathalon would be a good place to start for real budget bags. Tesco also do a summer down/feather/sythetic mix for about £40 iirc, but they seem to sell out fast.

One of the main issues with cheap sythetics is their pack size compared with down. For example my down summer bag is about 1/4 the packed volume of the Karrimor I mentioned above and has a slightly warmer rating, but then it cost 15 times as much.

Someone will be along soon to give you example of a more mid-range bag, but I tend to either buy cheap and cheerful or save up for very expensive.

plodtv
    Free Member

valleydaddy – Member
    email in profile if you want to discuss off forum ;)

Did do, not sure if I got lost in junk mail :)

Dyffers
    Free Member

BuggyBags.co.uk has been working up a prototype framebag for me over the last few weeks.

Still a work in progress but here’s the first attempt

More to come soon, and Jon at BuggyBags would love to here from you if you’re interested.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Did do, not sure if I got lost in junk mail

I did reply did you get a email from me???

Plodtv email me again I seem to have lost the email you sent me, I did reply via my blackberry or so I thought :(

valleydaddy
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-rab-ascent-bivi-bag

just in case anyone is looking for one :wink:

Basil
    Free Member

Just buy a Snugpak

stayhigh

Hi all

I’m new to this and looking to get some kit together for some bivvying trips during spring and summer. I wondered what people thought of either of these two sleeping bags from Mountain Warehouse:

Microlite 500

Microlite 700

The 500 is only a kilo and is qute small in its stuff sack. It says its comfort temp is 5 degrees so figured I could use a bag liner if in case it gets cold overnight.

Also would you advise using a bivvy bag under a basha type shelter? If so how well do army surplus bivi’s & basha’s do in your opinion?

Cheers All :)

7hz
    Free Member

Both those bags are cheep bags with synthetic insulation. The Microlite 500 would IMHO only be suitable for indoor use, the Microlite 700 may be ok, but is heavy, and may be uncomfortable when warm.

slugwash
    Free Member

The Microlite 500 would IMHO only be suitable for indoor use,

I had a look at one yesterday at their Plymouth store and it would be okay for summer use in the UK in a tent or bivibag. I’ve slept out in the rain in July in an even less insulated Trekmates Microfleece sleeping bag liner and a bivi bag and was more than comfortable (the round-the-campfire scrumpy session might have helped though ;-) )

You can often pick up the liners at T K Maxx for under a tenner.

Trekmates Microfleece

I’m going to test my Snugpak Travel Lite bag (along with the Trekmates liner) up on Dartmoor next weekend to see how that’ll cope with the cooler Spring temperatures. The Snugpak bag’s intended for warmer foreign travel and UK Summer use, but it packs down tiny. I’ll be taking emergency thermal underwear as backup though :-)

Snugpak Travel Lite

BTW, Mountain Warehouse have LS Merino zip collar baselayers reduced to £20 at the moment. Like all MW clothes the styling and cut looks a bit suspect but they might do if you’re currently after something like that.

hilldodger
    Free Member

So, my kitlist so far is:
    Alpkit Hunka bivvy bag and Base Mat with Cumulus Ultralight 350 Sleeping Bag, reckon that’s the sleeping bit sorted for just under 2kg.

Now thinking of the cooking bit – I want an easy 1 person set up for low level 2/3 season use and am looking at something like the Primus EtaSolo or Jetboil, I know there’s cheaper ways to cook but I fancy a bit of high tech luxury :-)

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

I’ve used both the Primus ETA and the Jetboil. The Jetboil was a miserable experience a over priced kettle, the ignition is poor and fails, at altitude in was really crap and almost got hurled of the mountain (in case you ever want to take it mountaineering). Best setup I found for gas is the Optimus Crux[/url] and would sooner invest in a setup like the Optimus Crux Weekend HE Cook System, I fit a gas cartridge, crux, and folding spork easily into a MSR Ti Kettle.

hilldodger
    Free Member

That weekend system looks good, thanks for the link :-)

Tiger6791

stayhigh – Member

Hi all

I’m new to this and looking to get some kit together for some bivvying trips during spring and summer. I wondered what people thought of either of these two sleeping bags from Mountain Warehouse:

Microlite 500

Microlite 700

The 500 is only a kilo and is qute small in its stuff sack. It says its comfort temp is 5 degrees so figured I could use a bag liner if in case it gets cold overnight.

Also would you advise using a bivvy bag under a basha type shelter? If so how well do army surplus bivi’s & basha’s do in your opinion?

Cheers All

I wouldn’t bother with them even on a budget.

What I’d get (have, apart from I don’t have the sleeping bag)

Tesco Down bag £39
    Down & only 800grms!
    Alpkit Hunka bivi bag £35
    D&D 3×3 tarp £30

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I am looking forward to some pics from the 3 amigos who are adventuring this weekend :wink:

The weather in S.Wales is superb this morning so hopefully it’s the same where they are 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.