Home Forums Bike Forum Shimano XTR SPD M9100 seal issue

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shimano XTR SPD M9100 seal issue
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Hi folks, just bought a new pair of XTR M9100 “Race” pedals and went on their first ride for a few hours last night. When I got back I noticed both inner seals had popped out and were sat further out around the pedal axle which is obviously not good!

A quick search online shows that this appears to be a common issue. Does anyone have a pair that hasn’t had this issue?

I’m in two minds as to whether I should send them back for a replacement or a refund and get something else.

If I go for something else… any recommendations?

intheborders
    Free Member

My go-to SPD is Shimano’s M540.

Weigh 350g vs 315g and I got my last pair in March from Halfords for £41 vs £120 of the XTR’s.

Work just as well, have the allen key axle and at some point they die, but we’re talking years & thousands of miles.

devash
    Free Member

Send them back. Madison / Shimano will warranty then for that issue. I had a pair of the older XT race models which did this and they were warrantied without a problem. This was pre-pandemic though so I don’t know what the turnaround is now.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve had xtr pedals, they broke, replaced with xt, one pair broke. Pair of 540s are ancient and still perfect!

beamers

I’ve had two sets of XTR pedals.

Seals failed on the first, then a smashed one of them off of a rock (unintentionally) and Wiggle replaced them under warranty.

Seals have failed on the second set. I might send them back under warranty.

stanley

XTR Trail pedals on the new build… I took the bike out on a 2-mile tarmac loop to bed the brakes in. When I got home, both seals had come out.
    I’ve just carried on with them. I’ll seek a replacement if/when the bearings get rough. 350km in and still ok at the moment.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XTR SPD M9100 seal issue’ is closed to new replies.