Home Forums Bike Forum Shimano XT/SLX lever clamp press to release feature

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shimano XT/SLX lever clamp press to release feature
  • guandax
    Free Member

That little hole you have to stick something in to open clamp. What’s it supposed to do? It’s a pain in the arse!

jam-bo

Open the clamp.

scotroutes

Is this a trick question?

sillyoldman

It’s there so that in the unlikely event of your lever clamp bolt failing, your brake lever will remain attached to the bar. Not any hassle to open it.

sirromj

It’s to o help with installation.

wukfit
    Free Member

Wait, what?
    So all these years I’ve been grumbling to myself, about what’s the point in having a hinge that doesn’t open enough to remove the lever, it’s actually just been user error?
    Nope, I refuse to believe it, fake news

malv173
    Free Member

You answered your question during your question! A 2mm allen key works perfectly. Also, how can something that works so simply be a pain in the arse? Need to remove lever? Put something in hole to release clamp. Remove lever. Beyond simple.

welshfarmer

I will admit, having never been told of the trick, or read an instruction manual, the seemingly pointless hinge used to frustrate me whenever I had cause to remove the shifters, especially when used with stick-on grips. Right up the point I realised I had to be missing something fundamental and gave the clamp a proper good going over, resulting in one of those great “Eureka” moments. It is a really great bit of design, and as pointed out above means your brakes remain attached should the bolt fail (assuming they are coupled together).

tomhoward

Anybody ever have a brake lever bolt fail?

Yak

Not me, but seen someone else’s fail and the lever still on but loose. I suppose you could then bodge a trail repair – maybe a cable tie fix to get you home. This bloke was nearly home anyway so rode it loose.

DezB
    Free Member

I preferred it when you had to pull-ergh, twist-erfhrgh-pull-argh-streeeetch-bugger it-lift with screwdriver-spray some gt85 under-they’ll-never stick again- off your non-lock-on grips, undo shifters, remove them and leave them dangling while you undid the brake lever clamp and pulled it over the end of the bars.. sod it cable’s not long enough, undo the v-brake cable… etc.
    That little undo brake, poke-a-pick-in-the-hole, remove, system is a pain in the bum! 😀

alexpalacefan

I’m with you OP.
    Ball ache.

APF

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT/SLX lever clamp press to release feature’ is closed to new replies.