Home Forums Bike Forum Shimano 12 speed on a 26er????

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shimano 12 speed on a 26er????
  • speaker2animals

OK, so I have a very much loved 26″ Joe Murray steel VooDoo Wanga, pre Halfords. Its been run SS since new but this old git is struggling to ride SS all the time. I’m tempted to go 2×11 but also considering the possibility of Shimano 1×12. This of course relies on sourcing a hub/wheel in 26″ 135mm spacing with QR.

I suspect this is a fantasy spec, does anyone know differently please?

snotrag

You could use the Deore level kit which retains the HG cassette – generally identifiable as having an 11 tooth smallest cog.

You may have an issue with ground clearance though, a long cage 12 speed mech could be perilously close to the floor with a 26″ wheel!

From my own experience, I’d go 1x, but with 11 speed.

1×11 GX or Shimano is lovely, still massive range, and far, far cheaper, and easier to put together than 12 speed.

voodoo-rich

I think 12 speed you’ll be looking at a microspline hub, which will come in 135mm but few and far between https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/slx-m7100/FH-QC500-MS.html fits the bill, with centrelock rotor fitting.

11 speed will fit on Hyperglide hubs and will come in 135mm and more options for 6-bolt/ centrelock.

5lab
    Free Member

there are a few 12 speed HG cassettes, but its worth noting that they rely on 11/12 speed HG spacing, which is different to 10 speed HG spacing (the length of the casette body is longer) – although some 11 speed hg cassettes fit on the old 10 speed hg bodies.

Either way, hope hubs will (afaik) get you to the combination. The mech will be closeish to the ground, but I don’t think thats too different to the 11 speed in length

A guide to freehub body and cassette compatibility  

dave_h

but its worth noting that they rely on 11/12 speed HG spacing, which is different to 10 speed HG spacing (the length of the casette body is longer)

Not it isn’t.  12 speed HG MTB cassettes use the same freehub size as 11/10/9 and 8 speed MTB cassettes.  11/12 speed road HG use a wider freehub but you can use a spacer to run an MTB cassette.

All types of MTB 12 speed gears (Shimano and SRAM) will work with a HG cassette, but your cassettes options will be limited to  lower end SRAM or a multitude of smaller manufacturers, check out eBay for a variety of options.

As long as you can fit an 8+ speed MTB wheel into your frame, there’s nothing stopping you going 12 speed if that’s where you want to be.

Cue a line of people telling you that 10 and 11 speed are cheaper and just as good! :-)

alpin
    Free Member

Really no real world advantage of anything above 10spd if you’re using a wide range cassette.

nicko74

Cue a line of people telling you that 10 and 11 speed are cheaper and just as good! :-)

Hello! I was going to query the whole 12speed HG thing, but sounds like it can be done. I wasn’t aware of that when I looked at my old 26″ hardtail, so just went for 1×11. 11-46T range and a pretty wide selection of parts available cheapish, including XT shifters, derailleurs and cassettes from XT level down to Deore.

speaker2animals

Ah, I was not aware of that. I was aiming for Deore/SLX mix anyway. More than happy with a 11 tooth largest gear. Cheers for that very useful bit of info.

honourablegeorge

I build an old 26er Titus El Guapo recently, 12 speed NX on a HG freehub

fitwheels.eu will do you a 26er wheel, they did a stand rim on 370 hub for me for very little

baldiebenty
    Free Member

You can get 11-51 Shimano on a HG body in an 11 speed too, I put it on my stumpjumper. It works well.

Obviously you need a suitable mech but I’m using the original 11 speed shifter with no issues

speaker2animals

I thought all 12 speed shimano cassettes started at a 10 tooth sprocket. Hadn’t thought to look if any other brands had 12 speed HG cassettes that start at 11. The reason I’m interested in 12 speed is range with as small jumps as possible. TBH an 11 is fine with me. Cheers all.

dave_h

I thought all 12 speed shimano cassettes started at a 10 tooth sprocket.

MTB wise, all Shimano cassettes do start with a 10t cog as they don’t do any HG 12 speed MTB cassettes – only Microspline (HG+).

They do make 12 speed road cassettes in HG but the smallest sprocket for HG is 11 speed.

The reason I’m interested in 12 speed is range with as small jumps as possible.

So the irony of starting with 10t is that suddenly the range for a microspline cassette has to cover one extra tooth difference for an equivalent HG cassette, negating slightly the benefits of an extra sprocket.

smiffy

I wouldn’t overlook 2×11.

dave_h

If 1×5 was good enough for Merckx……

swanny853

OH has 12s shimano on her 26” Pivot Mach 5.7. Works fine. Hub is a Pro 2 Evo which admittedly is set up 142×12 on this bike but that’s just down to the axle adapter.

Just checked and you can buy a Pro 5 in 135qr microspline.

That said, as others have said, unless you must have 12 speed or looking for lighter weight I’d probably just buy the m5100 stuff.

rootes1

12sp can be bit finickity – especially Shimano.

But you could do:

SRAM NX/SX 11-50 12speed cassette on HG freehub, then free choice of any 12speed eagle derailleur, shifter etc.

though probably just better off going with a wide range 11speed setup such as 11-51 deore M5100 or Shimano Cues / XT Linkglide options such as https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/cues-u6000-11-speed.html 

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/cues-u8000/CS-LG700-11.html

good list of most options in 9-12sp here inc. those that suit HG freehub

https://bikepacking.com/index/wide-range-cassettes/

sillyoldman

12spd Shimano is a piece of piss to set up. Check hanger alignment, follow instructions and it’ll work without needing any attention for years – that’s been true of both bikes I’ve got it on.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.