Home Forums Bike Forum Secure padlock & cable recommendations please

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Secure padlock & cable recommendations please
  • gooner666

I am looking for a padlock cable to secure my bike and deter the speculative thief when it is on the back of my car.

I use a Thules towbar carrier and have the advantage of my spare wheel being on the back of the car so any cable can be looped through the spare wheel and the bike,

Although there are plenty of very secure locks around I can’t find any cable/wire that can’t be cut with a pair of bolt croppers and/or battery operated disc cutter.

I do have a 22mm chain in the garage which secures the bike via a ground anchor but this wouldn’t be long enough

The bike won’t normally be left alone on the rack unless |I need to stop at services etc.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

footflaps

I can’t find any cable/wire that can’t be cut with a pair of bolt croppers and/or battery operated disc cutter.

Pretty much anything can be cut with an angle grinder given long enough.

Cables can be cropped in seconds.

One of those sectional locks which fold up might be your best bet.

spooky_b329

I have a motorbike chain with a loop on the end (it’s designed to be used like a noose) but happily the eye fits over the removable towbar before installing it on the car. When this is linked to a standard chain the pair are long enough to go around two bikes on the rack.

The weak point is the towball lock but someone would need to lie under the rack to realise how the chain is attached and then defeat the basic towball lock whilst lying on the floor, and then you’d probably need a second person to lift the rack and bikes whilst releasing the towball.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.