Home Forums Chat Forum Sartorial advice – Goodwood Revival

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sartorial advice – Goodwood Revival
  • garage-dweller

Off to the Goodwood Revival this year for the first time.

The “dress code” appears to be 40s to 60s glamour, aviation, military or motorsport.

I therefore need a suitable outfit acquired / contrived from very reasonably priced parts as it’s unlikely they’ll see the light of day again. I am really not knowledgeable about current fashion (I can match a suit, shirt and tie and pick a vaguely respectable pair of jeans but beyond that it doesn’t interest me) let alone the fashion of 60-80 years ago.

I’d probably prefer to avoid the military option (because weirdly I think I would feel like a fraud/disrespectful having no “service” behind me).

I therefore ask the sartorially sophisticated of STW to do one of:

– extract the urine

– guide me on where to find some kind of guide to men’s fashion in that era

– likely sources of reasonably priced garments

– argue about helmet use and whether motor sport is the preserve of the working man or a tool of the political elite to oppress some kind of mass or other

Thanks

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve hired from here a couple of times before. Not the cheapest but really nice stuff. Not the usual fancy dress junk

https://www.costumehiredirect.co.uk/mens/1950s.html

(The last one I had was a military outfit that was last used for the filming of Downton Abbey.)

Would use them again for sure.

titusrider
    Free Member

I go every year, minimum effort level is a trip to a charity shop for a tweed jacket and a flat cap, pair with some chinos and your good.

I did a Grease inspired 50s look one year so if you have a leather jacket or a tight white tshirt (!) that might be an option?

have fun, it’s great – my wife makes a new dress for it each year!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Go dressed as CFH??

willard

White mechanics overalls splatted with oil seem to work for a lot of people. Throw in a flat cap and possibly some FIA approved brogues and you have it.

one_bad_mofo

White mechanics overalls splatted with oil seem to work for a lot of people. Throw in a flat cap and possibly some FIA approved brogues and you have it.

Beaten to it. This would be my suggestion to do it on the cheap. Note, however, that the overalls should be worn over a shirt and tie.

garage-dweller

Thanks all great ideas. Loving the overalls idea.

I could never dress to cfh’s exemplary standard you just don’t make the kind of return in my line of work that you can make on international paperclip sales

gaidong
    Free Member

New-http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/

2nd hand-https://www.savvyrow.co.uk/

footflaps

Go dressed as CFH??

CFH by Ben Freeman[/url], on Flickr

perchypanther
    Free Member

The “dress code” appears to be 40s to 60s glamour, aviation, military or motorsport.

40’s military?

You could go as this guy.

He is , quite literally, Binners.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

timely thread, thanks. This weekend’s job was to sort out some attire for the Revival.

Probably won’t go as Binners though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Brown Mac for teh paedo look.

frankconway
    Free Member

tweed or flannel 3 piece suit. Hat in preference to cap. Short back’n’sides haircut and Brylcreamed hair. Pipe. Moustache. Well polished brogues.

‘The Chap’ magazine is a good guide in sartorial matters.

garage-dweller

@perchypanther

That is clearly not binners…can you imagine Adolf popping into Gregg’s for a sausage roll?

Think I’ll give Al’s suggestion a miss too….

garage-dweller

Sorry, back again…

Footwear for the mechanic option – some kind of brown boot or shoe presumably (I’m guessing scruffy Skechers weren’t an option back then)?

Blasted photos are all in black and white when I google.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Brogues or leather shoes, even desert boots would work and as said above, white shirt and tie, and ideally flat cap.

http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/Transport/Cars/Sunbeam/mechanics.htm

garage-dweller

Thanks. Overalls on order, flat cap I can get in town tomorrow and I need some new non-work shoes so think I’m about there.

Love the accumulated knowledge in this place.

CountZero

I’d go for khaki chinos, brown shoes light shirt with knitted khaki tie and a nylon B1 ‘bomber’ jacket, which would, (roughly) approximate US Korean War dress, that was the first time nylon jackets were worn instead of the A1 leather jacket. I’ve got a couple of CWA 45/P jackets, but they’re a later style, and Nomex instead of nylon, so wouldn’t be appropriate.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sartorial advice – Goodwood Revival’ is closed to new replies.