Home Forums Bike Forum Santa Cruz Bronson, 2015, is that V1 or V2 ? Tell me more.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Santa Cruz Bronson, 2015, is that V1 or V2 ? Tell me more.
  • weeksy

P1080453-scaled by Steve Weeks[/url], on Flickr

I have a nice potential option on the above. The spec suits and unless i’m mistaken the sizing fits well, although that may to an extent depend on whether it’s a V1 or a V2.. I think the V2 is sized bigger than the V1 ?
    It’s in a size L and i’m just on 6’0. It’s a 2015 Bronson C apparently.

So, anything you guys can tell me would be appreciated.

joebristol

I think that’s a V1 and reviews even at the time said it was a bit cramped. That’ll be a twitchy / short shock after the slightly too big Aether you’ve got.

Reach is only 429mm
    HA 67
    Headtube is only 9.9cm tall

I don’t think it’s boost spaces at the back either which may or not be a problem depending on your back wheel.

Edit – even moving forward to the 2019 Bronson it’s quite short even in a large if geometry geeks is correct – within 2mm of my Medium Aether 7.

Edit edit – I’m 5’9 and I wouldn’t ride that. Even if it was a hardtail and the reach would grow with sag it’s still be too short for me in my view a let alone you at a few inches taller.

ayjaydoubleyou

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-GB/bike/bronson/1

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-GB/bike/bronson/2

Geo and paint aside it looks like the biggest obvious difference is internal routing for gears and dropper appeared on the V2. So looks like yours is the V1.

ayjaydoubleyou

I’m sure there was someone at SC with a bit of a napoleon complex at that time – someone of below average height that needed to have an “L” on thir frame to compensate for something. The sizing was like this across the range.

weeksy

Yeah i rekon it’s the V1 too from more Googling. So you fellas are correct, thanks.

Geometry geeks has the reach as 74mm shorter than the Aether7, which is a big chunk. But as you’ve seen i find that long anyway and the ETT being 45mm longer than the Aether7…. But if we factor in the previous Whyte G-160, (which i should have bloody kept lol ) the ETT of the Bronson is 26mm shorter than the G-160 i owned which isn’t a ridiculous figure really IMO.

The reach is very similar to my lads Sworks (2015 Medium) but the ETT is 29mm longer on the Bronson.

It’s also slightly bigger than the Liv Embolden E+ of my wife, which IMO isn’t a riidculous size, although i can see how some may do.

weeksy

Sadly I don’t think this one is going to work for me, as much in terms of pricing as sizing. The guy is looking @ £300 + Bird for his. I’d have been happy at say £100 but £300 is just a bit more than feels right to me.

https://snazzybikes.co.uk/product/2015-santa-cruz-bronson-c-carbon-mountain-bike-large-19-frame-11-speed-27-5-wheel-full-suspension-trail-3k-upgrades/

Maybe I’m over valuing the Bird, but I don’t think I’m that far out. I understand he needs to make a few quid of course, but just not quite there on it.

fooman

Yep that’s a v1 – you can tell as shock linkage is on seat tube, v2 it’s between seat/top tube. My lad is 5’6″ on a large v1 when he grows a bit more he’d be better on a XL v1 or L v2 I think.

weeksy

Well he came down on price and subject to me having a sit on it to check sizing, I think we’re going to go for it.

pimpingimp
    Free Member

He’d have to come down loads to make that worthwhile for me – it’s a 6-7 year older bike with our dates geometry and sizing. I know you didn’t get on with the Aether but Christ this is a whole other ball game!
    I had a 2019 Hightower and even that felt a few years behind the game in sizing.

I hope it fits you, I hope you like it, but most importantly o hope to god you don’t give him any money on top of your bird for it. Really he needs to be paying you!

weeksy

Errrrm it’d cost me £200.

If I’m being a plum, feel free to say.

Obviously Gimp above thinks so. But honestly I’m interested in opinions from others, as long as you’re not too insulting ha ha

joebristol

You are being a plum – buying a bike that’s far too small for you. While it maybe a Santa Cruz it’s quite old vs your shiny new Bird.

Ett means whilst it maybe fine sat down, when you stand up it’s going to be so short it’s going to be attempting to throw you over the handlebars. Even with the standard 60mm stem.

What you should have done was buy the ML Aether 7 with the 479mm reach rather than the large.

Bearing in mind I’m 5’9 with long legs / short arms I wouldn’t want to go shorter than the 457mm reach I have on my medium Aether. Given your 3 inches taller than me I’d think my bike would be a bit small for you and the reach is considerably longer than that Bronson. If I were you I’d be looking at a reach between 460mm at the minimum and say 480 if you found the Aether in large too long.

Also if you’re considering going longer travel again I think you’d find an ML Bird Aeris 145 / 145LT / AM160 would be compatible with all your parts and would be a straight swap / not that expensive to buy – particularly the 145 / LT.

Edit – another option might be an airdrop Edit – I think the v2 was boost.

weeksy

What you should have done was buy the ML Aether 7 with the 479mm reach rather than the large.

Yeah but I can’t go back in time. The bike I’ve got is the size it is and that isn’t going to change.
    I’ve got the frame up on eBay as a frame only which opens up options, but interest has been minimal. If I could flog the frame then buying a frame would be easy, but I think it’s a tough market at the moment in the £2000 bike options, loads of things about at that price.

I don’t have the answer right now, but I’m guessing I’m alone in thinking that SC is it

joebristol

The SC 100% isn’t it – in about w months time you’ll be posting asking why your new bike is so nervous off big drops / on steep tech. Can almost guarantee it!

I know the Aether isn’t very old but £1300 for a secondhand frame is probably a bit toppish. I don’t think the shock is a monarch – it’s a metric Deluxe something or other so I’d remove monarch from the description. It being pink and large (oooer) probably isn’t helping you cause.

devbrix
    Free Member

If you want a LLS point and shoot Enduro sled then it’s definitely not the bike but if you want a very agile and fun trail bike it might be ideal. I used to borrow my wife’s medium V1 5010 (whilst at 5’10” I rode a large V2 5010) because it was an absolute blast of a bike and the slightly smaller size made it even more fun IMHO. If that’s what you are looking for then definitely worth taking it out on the trails if the owner will let you and try it out.

vinnyeh

The fork alone would be a deal breaker for me. edit: And the shock.

joebristol

Just to add I would not want that shock or fork over your Yari / RS Deluxe. BOS aren’t well supported or Kirk that I’m aware of.

weeksy

Ok fellas, you win and thanks for the wisdom.

Looks like the Bird will be at bpw on Thursday

clubby

Definitely pass on if. I’m 5’9 and ride a large v2 5010. Would have been ok length wise on the XL if I could have got the dropper low enough.

razorrazoo

Steve FWIW I’m 5’10” and had a mk2 and now mk3 Bronson.  Both large, I wouldn’t want any smaller and the V1 was even shorter.

pimpingimp
    Free Member

You’ve made the right decision, the forks and shock aren’t worth the swap, the frame was nice back in the day but isn’t worthy of your interest now. It’s genuinely a generation behind.

I’m at FOD on 18th September, come and have a go on my ML Aether 7 and I’ll have a go on your L. Then see if someone wants to swap on the Bird Facebook group. If it wasn’t pink I’d be interested in swapping myself, but my sexy new purple Pro 4’s wouldn’t be right with that frame.

weeksy

HEy gimp, i may just take you up on that mate.. 18th works well as we’re racing the weekend before and the weekend after, but the 18th we’re free and FoD is a staple diet for us.

lawman91

The V1 Bronson was such a disappointing bike. I rode one just after they came out and was so hyped for it, but felt like such a let down. It felt heavy, soggy and the geometry felt awkward, I’m also just over 6ft and rode a large. I later rode an XL V1 5010 for a day and adored it, so you had to size up and live with a shorter dropper. Well done for steering clear!

weeksy

Well done for steering clear!

Wasn’t me… it was this lot… if it was down to me i’d have been on the way to collect it this morning 😀

singlespeedstu

£200 and your bike for that ?
    I can’t believe you were considering agreeing to it.
    I’ve got some magic beans I can swap you for your frame.😉

weeksy

I’ve got some magic beans I can swap you for your frame.

If you’ve got £900 worth, give me a shout 😀

singlespeedstu

As it happens i’ve got nine magic beans that have been valued by an expert as being worth exactly 100 quid each.
    They’re the special invisible magic beans so quite rare.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I reckon that old SC is up for twice what its actually worth.

Some kid will buy it though wanting the SC brand.

mmannerr

Way too expensive that one but V1 Bronson is still quite nice light trail bike if sizing is corrected to rider (e.g. my junior is riding Large at about 172cm height).
    I’ve been riding it few times and besides fit the most thing lacking is that version VPP suspension is not as good as newer versions under power.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz Bronson, 2015, is that V1 or V2 ? Tell me more.’ is closed to new replies.