Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 4,076 total)
  • Rugby Thread 2017/18.
  • onehundredthidiot

Was at murrayfield great atmosphere. I don’t understand standing watching the haka. Why allow the opposition the chance to try to psych you out. Do a campese and wander off. The crowd where I was were singing flower of Scotland against the haka.

TomB TJ Perenara is a dick but when warming up had a chuck about with a ball boy, gave him a first bump and a man hug. That kid will definitely remember that game.

anagallis_arvensis

Wales looked dire

Indeed and the worrying thing is without a fit 13 in the squad it looks like S Williams playing again and he was utter dog shit. He has lost all his pace and has no confidence. Only other option I can see would be Roberts at 13 outside O Williams but he would be exposed with his slug like pace.

vondally
    Free Member

Wales game discipline looked poor especially Mr Francis for his binning….too much endomorphines after the scrum?
    Is lack of depth of the game in the wales?

DezB
    Free Member

TJ Perenara is a dick

Brilliant player. Impressed people on STW actually know a NZ rugby player personally.

onehundredthidiot

Forgot my quotation marks around “TJ Perenara is a dick” My post was about exactly the opposite of dickishness shown by him.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Presuming DezB was having a pop at me not you…..I’ll be crying myself to sleep later as a result. Edit, maybe it was you! 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

Anyone else notice that large fijian back with that kicking technique?
    He took a few difficult passes which I though he was going to knock on, and he kind of did except he knocked straight down onto his boot. And he did it loads of times! Lovely to watch.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Cracking game at Murrayfield and a hark back to the atmosphere of yesteryear.

This can’t be the high point though – Scotland need to play the same way again. Starting with Australia next week then carrying it into the 6N. Last year, Ireland thought they’d cracked it after beating the ABs but defeats to Wales and Scotland soon scuppered that notion. It’s all very well being up for it against the best side in the world with a fervent crowd behind you but Scotland need to play without fear away from home too.

Best backs in NH? Err…not quite there yet. Seymour was awful – he made Johnny May’s performance for England seem almost competent bt comparison. Price looks good because Laidlaw was so ****. Russell had a great game but he’s flakey. Huw Jones looks the real deal but Dunbar is a journeyman. Lee Jones has been around a while but never stood out so far. It seems like Hogg is doing it all on his own, not enough of the others are on the same wavelength.

onehundredthidiot

Scotland always seem to have good club centres who can’t quite keep it together in an international side. Huw Jones looks good though.

Favourite comment from a non Scot/kiwi after the final whistle “of course, it shouldn’t be a full cap match as that’s not a real all blacks team”

anagallis_arvensis

too much endomorphines after the scrum?

Too much morphine in general I think!!

Is lack of depth of the game in the wales?

No depth is the issue and we have no relacements for the likes of AWJ, Charteris, Roberts etc.
    We can put out a decent 23 if all are fit but beyond that its dire. We also have far fewer stand out top notch internationals than in the recent past.. tough times.
    No depth at 1, 3, 4,5,8, 13 or 14.

Warburton is our best 7 and 6 and would be our 3rd best 8 too but our second best 8 is our best 6 if Warburton plays 7. Our best 15 is also a first choice 14 and our first chpice 11 is our se ond choice 15 and they are all **** injured anyway…well Loopy Liam isnt I dont think he always looks like that!! Chuck in lots of injuries and the need to rest lots of players due to a suicidal nov fixture list and we end up with a team and a game like yesterdays…happens every year, the only suprising thing is that every year people on here seem suprised by it!

gordimhor

Finn Russell leaving Glasgow at the end of the season. Possibly for Racing92 according to a comment on Warriors FB page.

anagallis_arvensis

Finn Russell leaving Glasgow

Good news for Glasgow then!!!

tjagain

gordimhor – Member

Finn Russell leaving Glasgow at the end of the season. Possibly for Racing92 according to a comment on Warriors FB page.

It s been rumoured for a while but nowt confirmed yet. I think he would be daft to go now but he has played his entire pro career there. I think Glasgow have unfinished business and he should stay to help them finish it. NO player is irreplaceable but he is as close as they come

gordimhor

TJ my post was a bit unclear. Russell is definitely leaving, the club have made a statement to that effect on FB.
    The suggestion that he is going to Racing 92 is in a comment on that statement.

tjagain

it been being talked about for a year. I think its a mistake for him. another couple of years would have been the right balance for him IMO

tjagain

Its the same problem all bar a few French and English clubs face. Those few clubs with huge deficits push up the prices of players. How much is a top ranked pro getting from them? The rumour is Carter is on a million a year. Now Glasgow have somewhere in the 6 million bracket for its players – maybe a bit less. £300 000 seems to be the minimum a top pro will settle for – thats what the rumour is Hogg is on. 20 of them and thats your budget gone but you need 40+ players. Pay too much for a few top guys the rest of your squad will be weak

for me the answer is to outlaw deficit funding. NO team can spend more on players than it makes.

Its distorting rugby hugely and its a very few clubs that do it.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I think it’s a mistake for him

Well it won’t be a mistake for his bank balance. That’s for sure.

In the same vein. Brad Shields is joining Wasps from the Hurricanes. Think Chris Robshaw with more pace, a bigger rugby brain and a better beard.

Why is this news? Because he’s English qualified. Apparently Steve Hansen had drafted him into the ABs squad for the game with France and he turned them down and told them about the Wasps deal. Hansen was supposedly furious.

tjagain

He has been a great servant for Glasgow. Why I say its a mistake for him is that the will not get the same treatment anywhere else. But equally at some point he has to move onto better himself as a player. Townsend himself was a better player for his years in France. I just think it a year or two too soon

Tom-B
    Free Member

Rumour has it that ickle Jonny is heading to Bristol too….

tjagain

I thought he had signed a new contract recently. Bristol? could they afford him?

BruceWee

TBH, it might actually be good for Glasgow. When your team makes up more than 50% of the Scotland squad it’s always going to wreak havoc during the 6N. Throw even a handful of injuries into the mix and you can forget winning the league or even making the play-offs.

This is, of course, a massive case of wishful thinking.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Bristol are massively cashed up!

wrecker
    Free Member

. I thought he had signed a new contract recently. Bristol? could they afford him?

Oh yes 😀
    He’ll be in some good company too with two piutau brothers, lieua, pisi, madigan, luatua, Monaghan.

tjagain

Glasgow have more youngsters coming thru. Interesting the rugby forum I am on has no angst about this. Its just an inevitable fact of life that Players like Finn will move on from teams Like Glasgow. The tru market value of the Glasgow team will be many times what its budget is. Some will stay or acept less money because of the other things Glasgow can offer, some will go for the money and to broaden their experience /improve as a player. Some like Matowalo will return

I didn’t know Bristol were loaded. Its the major club nearest to where I was born.

wrecker
    Free Member

I didn’t know Bristol were loaded. Its the major club nearest to where I was born.

Welcome, new fan!

tinybits
    Free Member

Yep, Bristol have mega money backing. They could easily pay the highest wages in the AP.
    Mind you, not every one will want to go there. Happily winning stuff is still important to some – we haven’t gone full football yet!

wrecker
    Free Member

Very valid points tinybits. It feels (finally) that the club are starting to get the on field stuff right. We have some tremendous players here and on their way and with pat lam in the hot seat, we have high hopes. We won’t be challenging for an AP title for a few years but we should make a better fist of it than we did last time, and we weren’t a million miles from wuss even then.

tjagain

tinybits – not just winning stuff. One of the ways glasgow have been able to recruit and retain players for less money than they could get elsewhere is that they do a lot of other stuff in regards looking after players.

flanagaj
    Free Member

There is also talk of Damian Mckenzie moving to Leicester Tigers after 2018. I think he is a great player and like Faf de Klerk great to watch, but only if the team he plays on can keep up and utilise him by off loading well.

Kryton57

Cheika getting a slap for abusing people and implying the ref – or England – were cheating.

Tit.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Cheika acted like e a bit of a tit, and seems particularly ungracious in defeat.

anagallis_arvensis

Cheika acted like e a bit of a tit, and seems particularly ungracious in defeat.

He’s Australian

DanW
    Free Member

I love watching McKenzie. So a fluid and effortless runner and very well rounded player. Would be interesting to see him in the AP

tinybits
    Free Member

I think those rumors on McKenzie were pre him getting selected for the All blacks this autumn, Sadly we won’t see him in Tigers colours.

dantsw13

The front page of the Times on Saturday was about Hurricanes skipper Shields – a Flanker – turning down the ABs, coming to Wasps for potential Eng selection. Not seen much more comment on it.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Think someone mentioned it on here a few pages back? Hansen was not best pleased apparently!

Not seen him play but heard that he’s a good player.

tjagain

So Scotland / Aus

More injuries for Scotland mean a weakened side – perhaps to the point we will be well below ourt potential.

Can Scotland raise themselves up again after last week? Will we see a backlash from Aus? Will aus want revenge for this summers defeat? Or will scotland have the confidence knowing aus can be beaten? Will Scotland have a point to prove and Aus be deflated after a long season / tour?

Personally I am back to “we’re doomed I tell you – doomed!”

No doubt at all that the way Scotland play gives them an advatsage over Aus – things stand pretty even in recent games

Tom-B
    Free Member

Not sure what injuries you’ve got, but I reckon Aus bench will mean they start favourites (although it didn’t show very well against England!)

Australia are a very good team and Saturday was such a close game, hopefully you can beat them….I think that it’s really good for NH rugby in general for us to be regularly beating the NH now.

England Samoa…. obviously it’ll be an England win…if we click a bit more in attack then it could be quite a margin at the end, especially if we’ve got a strong bench!

tjagain

WE have lost Fagerson, Watson, Dunbar. Hamilton at least from an already depleted side perhaps Marfo as well.

We simply do not have the depth for this – its around 7 front rowers missing plus most of our centres and a couple of wingers and second rows

tjagain

SRU seem to be confident most of the injured from last week will be able to play. seems doubtful to me tho

Frazer Brown and Maitland back as well so maybe not a bad as I thought

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 4,076 total)

The topic ‘Rugby Thread 2017/18.’ is closed to new replies.