Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 4,076 total)
  • Rugby Thread 2017/18.
  • duckman

As suggested above…
    Pro who cares? Munster.
    Prem; Wasps.
    6N England
    Brizzle to return from the depths.
    As a Scot it will be the usual combination of false dawns and a surprise 6N victory. Interesting to see how Townsend goes.

Pigface
    Free Member

Woohoo, good work Duckman

Who knows about the Pro 14 as I can’t get my head around it 😆

IdleJon

I think that the Crusaders might win the Pro151. They’re in it, right?

And Bristol – Charles Piutau in 2018-2019? Can we start the yearly rugby thread for that season this soon?

gordimhor

Pro 14 Munster
    Prem Who cares?
    6N England
    Scotland will click in half the games blow up in one and struggle to a draw in one. They will play very like Warriors of 2 years ago
    Who ever wins the Pro14 will go down in history as the only winners of that tournament.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Pro14 dunno, Ulster or Leinster or one of the Saffas?
    Prem. Sarries
    Europe. A French team
    6N’s England.

In other news, Lealiifano to Ulster. Paddy Jackson to miss the season as he is being prosecuted for rape (which he denies) not too much info available, seems like 4 guys are being prosecuted.

onehundredthidiot

Watching currie cup games. The saffas are pretty abrasive. But not sure they’ll cope with a wet November in Glasgow.

Malcolm jaer is a flyer.

DanW
    Free Member

No takers for Scarlets again? 🙂

Will be a surprise if England aren’t the strongest in the 6N

DanW
    Free Member

Western Force out of Super Rugby. Surprising given the locations of the clubs remaining but not surprising given the funding/ ownership structures and legal complexities of each being booted out between the two

duckman

Could have been them or the Rebels really, I read an article a while back talking about how union was on the bones of it’s bum with regards to players numbers/spectators etc.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Could have been them or the Rebels really, I read an article a while back talking about how union was on the bones of it’s bum with regards to players numbers/spectators etc.

Yeah in Oz union is still looked on as a ra-ra sport for posh kids in stark contrast to the more blue collar League and Aussie Rules.

The public supports it when they perceive that the Wallabies and the Super Rugby sides are going well. Unfortunately that perception is based on whether they beat New Zealand or not. What’s also unfortunate is that nobody beats NZ much and the Aussie SR teams went 0-26 against the NZ franchises this year. This misses the point that the Wallabies are generally very competitive in RWCs and are never as bad as some of their results can suggest.

DanW
    Free Member

I linked an article in last year’s thread which had Union as around the 28th most popular sport in Australia by participation. I didn’t meet anyone in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane who had even a passing interest in rugby let alone Union which was a shock given how successful we generally view the national team (unless playing Scotland of course 😉 ).

It made more sense to shelve the Rebels and keep rugby in Western Australia but I think it came down to the Rebels having the bigger threat of successful legal action/ more expensive buyout based upon the way they were set up and current ownership/ funding. That is the hidden subtext to “keeping the Rebels made more financial sense”

tjagain

Glasgow and Edinburgh rebuilding a bit this year. I am hopeful(!) cockers will bring a bit of backbone to Edinburgh and we might see a bit mmnore from them

National team placed well – time to improve over last years tally. No lions hangover for us! but ickle jonny is out for a while – dunno if he will be back for the AIs

DezB
    Free Member

Rugby is crap. All the players are violent cheating scum and/or fat fools. Except Welsh ones. Or Scottish ones. Referees don’t know what they’re doing. Except Welsh ones.
    None of you know what you’re talking about, I’ve played in every level of the game and watched every match ever played, analysing and understanding every play perfectly. Everything I say is FACT. Your opinions are worthless and meaningless. I hate every player you like and love every player you hate.

Hopefully that’s that done and you can actually discuss rugby.
    Carry on.

wrecker
    Free Member

Brizzle to return from the depths.

Hurrah!
    I’m quite please that the SA teams have decided to fight for success rather than be rolled over, and it’ll add interest to the pro26. I’ll laugh hard if they end up richer than the supertouch teams.
    Prem; Sarries
    6N; England

Who is good in the top14? Are Toulon close to bucking their ideas up?

tjagain

How do you guys rate Cockerill? Edinburgh have the budget and some decent players but play far below their potential. Is he the man to turn it around? Inject some steel perhaps?

anagallis_arvensis

No

tinybits
    Free Member

Loved him as a player and as a coach, he did pretty well for my beloved tiggers. Still, somehow I don’t think he’s a great coach. I don’t think he’ll,get the absolute best from the team, something always just missing.

Love the look of tigers back line this season. Young, ford, tuhoomah (sp) tuilagi, may, veanu and thompstone. If they can just get a bit of ball and remain uninjured for 15mins….

ads678

Cockerill didn’t do too badly with Toulon at the end of last season…

Give him a chance, he’ll get them playing with a bit of gumption.

I thought he was a good coach, the DOR thing at Tigers came to him too quickly but he managed it well. I think in the end there was a lot more going on at Tigers. But as the DOR he had to take the hit. The Aaron Mauger experiment didn’t work, as coaches they just didn’t see thing the same way.

I think he’s a good bloke but he’ll always be someone people like to hate.

Yes, I’m a Tigers fan.

DanW
    Free Member

I’ve never been convinced that he’s a great coach but isn’t awful I guess. He does however like a moan at the referees and I shudder to think about his blood pressure with the standard of refereeing in the Pro14

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Rugby is crap. All the players are violent cheating scum and/or fat fools. Except ENGLISH ones. Referees don’t know what they’re doing. Except NIGEL OWENS.
    None of you know what you’re talking about, I’ve played in every level of the game and watched every match ever played, analysing and understanding every play perfectly. Everything I say is FACT. Your opinions are worthless and meaningless. I hate every player you like and love every player you hate.

Exactly what I’ve been saying for years….. 😆

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Actually I just re-watched the 1st Argentina v England test last night. What a game!

Best game of rugby I’ve seen this year. Not just because Argentina attacked constantly and England were forced to do likewise but there was a lot of terrific, hard hitting defence (despite the scoreline) – but mainly because Nigel Owens refereed with common sense, let it flow and didn’t KEEP GOING TO THE TMO EVERY FIVE MINUTES!

People say “oh the Jaguares were rubbish so Argentina must be too” but that was a decent Argentina side, at home, against the hated English. For a mainly 2nd/3rd string side it was an exceptional win.

tinybits
    Free Member

Agreed. I thought it was a great game!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Geez! The ABs have got over their Lions hangover.

40-6 up against the Wallabies, in Sydney, at half time!

Kryton57

Geez! The ABs have got over their Lions hangover.

I think its more about how shite Aus are playing.

duckman

I was going to write the same at half time, then the Aussies remembered how to run into space!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

then the Aussies remembered how to run into space!

True but they didn’t start doing that until they trailed 54-6! Which was a tad late.

To re-write the old joke:

Nobody was Australia’s best player – because they kept passing to him.

Caher

Pro Munster…or maybe Leinster.
    6n Ireland.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RIP Pinetree.

onehundredthidiot

Watched SA v Argentina. Raymond poite had a pretty awful game. I thought in this age of assistant referees that they were there to assist. Every try seemed to have at least one reason to be disallowed and SA are the masters of the forward moving”flat pass”.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

Anyone else excited about tomorrow night’s World cup final?

Not entirely convinced putting Scarratt at 15 in replacement for Waterman is a great idea unless she is regularly hitting the line as she’s devastating at OC. She is an extraordinary player.

and Rocky Clarke- 128 caps (local Wuss girl) is in her 4th (Fourth!) World cup final!

ITV from 7.15pm on Saturday (7:45pm KO).

wrecker
    Free Member

You need to be watching Aus vs NZ now!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

damm forgot it was free to air here…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and despite that can’t “legally” stream it. Seen the scoreboard rattle around and Barret being the difference there

duckman

It would appear that rumours of the death of union in Oz, including those from me, are premature.What a game! And Dan who?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and the all blacks never looking stressed, whats that we need to score, we better score then.

wrecker
    Free Member

The ausies had them rattled there. That last 30 mins was brilliant!

nemesis
    Free Member

Stoner – yes, I’ll be there 🙂

tallie
    Free Member

Available on You Tube for anyone that missed it – just watched the first 10… not often teams score a point a minute against the ABs.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

What a great game!

THey should make the ABs start every match 17pts down!

Brilliant try to win it under the most severe pressure. Kurtley Beal owned SBW defensively. Mind you, Aaron Smith made a fool out of Hooper too.

Nigel Owens made a poor mistake IMO. He gave a penalty for the Aussie blindside coming back offside at a ruck and getting in the path of what was an obvious scoring pass. Accidental or not – surely it was a penalty try?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 4,076 total)

The topic ‘Rugby Thread 2017/18.’ is closed to new replies.