Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 4,076 total)
  • Rugby Thread 2017/18.
  • duckman

Bit confused; could somebody explain how the Shields thing is different to what the RFU were complaining about? Namely the other home nations tapping up potential international players.

anagallis_arvensis

Bit confused; could somebody explain how the Shields thing is different to what the RFU were complaining about? Namely the other home nations tapping up potential international players.

Because it is Wasps paying not RFU?

anagallis_arvensis

Injuries are just crazy, something needs to change. Loopy Liam and Calamity Cuthbert out for Wales on top of (off the top of my head)

North
    Davies
    Sammy Davies Junior
    Tipuric? Might be fit again
    Capt Sam
    Ellis Jenkins
    Moriarty
    James Davies
    Lee

tjagain

Injuries are becoming too much of an issue. I have no idea what the answer is but its spoiling the game especially for the teams with smaller playing pools.

Scotland look after their players well nowadays and its still a huge issue

Tom-B
    Free Member

Maybe Russell could be moving to Wasps? I’ve heard that Cips is off to France, and Andy Goode was saying recently on his podcast that Wasps had made a big signing at 10?

tjagain

Russell will be going to France I expect. Could be wrong but thats what the rumours say and have been for a while.

BillOddie

Russell will be going to France I expect.

Racing 92 apparently…

tinybits
    Free Member

Because it is Wasps paying not RFU?

As I understand, Shields has signed for Wasps prior to being ‘selected’ by the AB’s. When Hansen picked Shields, Shields had to tell him that he was off to Wasps so had ruled himself out. As far as i’m aware, he’s not declared for England although he is legible. Of course, whether he’s good enough to break into our back row is a completely different question….
    What i do love is that a Kiwi is coming over to compete against the Tongan and the Fijian for No8 shirt. If that’s not a bit mad, I really don’t know what it!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah heard Racing 92 myself for Russell, just speculating as to others possibilities.

anagallis_arvensis

What i do love is that a Kiwi is coming over to compete against the Tongan and the Fijian for No8 shirt. If that’s not a bit mad, I really don’t know what it!

The power of money!!

Russell may follow Cotter, where did he go?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Is Cotter at Claremont?

Looks like no Watson or JJ this weekend as they’ve both been released back to their club along with a few others. Nathan Hughes is out for a month apparently, not sure whom we’ll be going with at 8? Robshaw with Itoje at 6?

Edit, just seen that Sam Simmonds is retained in the squad so presumably he’s in at 8.

anagallis_arvensis

Anyway guess who is coming back??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42071608

Tom-B
    Free Member

*Warning, Philips slagging coming*

Bloke was an unbelievable player in his prime…..only time I saw him in real life he was well past his prime-last season at Sale! I know he was never popular with English fans, but he really was average at best whenever I saw him play. Guessing he’ll get very limited/no game time against the Cheetahs and then more time against the King’s….given they basically look like a pub team then I’m sure he’ll cope against them.

Vern Cotter is at Montpellier now apparently.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not surprised Watson has been sent back; he probably needs a rest and it’ll be nice to see Slade at 13 where he’s looked pretty comfortable this season. Downside is that it means Brown will be back at FB. Hopefully our attack will click a bit better this week.

Will be interesting to see if Shields gets an England call up. It’s not a million miles away for what the RFU where whining about but It seems that he was lured here by Wasps rather than the promise of international caps.

If Russell is off to France, I wonder how he’ll fair over there given the emphasis on set piece play and the fact that most players seem to get flogged to death with a long season.

anagallis_arvensis

only time I saw him in real life he was well past his prime-last season at Sale! I know he was never popular with English fans, but he really was average at best whenever I saw him play

I’m sure the multi capped lions scrum half will cope with your criticsm!! You should look to whoever signed him for a moan.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m sure he’d be devasted!

Whomever did sign him has now massively redeemed themselves with the Far de Klerk signing!!!

dantsw13

I’ve just rewatched the BBC highlights of the England match. Hooper really is a gobby whinger – Beale too. I guess Cheika is rubbing off on them.

dantsw13

Also – it seems a regular Aus tactic at a ruck to smash England players defending behind the ruck, creating gaps. Surely if you are purely defending you can’t be taken out off the ball?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Breakdown is a total mess imo

If we go back in time to the ‘Jono era’ when he was in charge and England often played 30 mins plus down to 14 men…..we conceded an absolute bucket load of penalties for players ‘sealing off’ ie attacking team going straight off feet at a ruck….. seems to be pretty much the accepted norm for the first man into the ruck in attack to superman straight into the action now. Sale got popped once this weekend for it actually.

onehundredthidiot

Breakdown is a mess. If it’s not players attacking a defender and swinging round, it’s players taking defenders out way beyond the ball, or sealing off. All of which seems legal. One solution is good old fashioned rucking.

IdleJon

One solution is good old fashioned rucking.

Or perhaps the ref should penalise the first offence, not whichever random offence he takes exception to. Which may change during the game depending on the position on the pitch and the importance of that breakdown to the score line.

But, as discussed with TJ above, this never happens and the refs are excellent.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I guess Cheika is rubbing off on them.

Unusual coaching method, but whatever works, I suppose!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Russell on a rumoured £700k per year contract with Racing. Given it’s a short career, that sort of cash is going to be hard to turn down.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

George North is heading back to Wales next year.

anagallis_arvensis

George North is heading back to Wales next year.

Good news hopefully he can fwt good again!

anagallis_arvensis

England players will not give part of their match fee to ‘bankrupt’ Samoa
    • Twickenham hosts will receive £23,000 each while Samoans will get £600
    • ‘As players we feel it isn’t our place to get involved in a complex issue’

tinybits
    Free Member

I wonder how much the Welsh get per game, how much the Georgians do and what was gifted last weekend….

Edit, ah, ok wales getting something like £6.5k / game – not the same. Still interested in the other questions though…

Tom-B
    Free Member

Without getting into a debate about player ethics, didn’t it emerge over the last week that Samoa haven’t actually gone bankrupt?

anagallis_arvensis

I wonder how much the Welsh get per game, how much the Georgians do and what was gifted last weekend….

Whataboutary?
    In answer to your question I dont know but I doubt the welsh players got 23k

wrecker
    Free Member

Whataboutary?
    It’s relevant though, how much did the Irish players give the Fijians etc etc? How much do the kiwi players give them?
    Why should the English be the only team under the spotlight?

anagallis_arvensis

Maybe because Mako Vunipola suggested it?

tinybits
    Free Member

Please see edit above.

No, not whataboutry, it’s about fair and equatable across the board. Players don’t make the rules, the unions do. The players need to give up third pay while the unions don’t? Seems like utter bollocks to me. Can you imagine a school where the teachers give up some salary to help pay for something the school wont? It’d be bloody mental!

Unions need to sort it out, at least pay a % to any visitor team maybe, possibly even only play games where you’re going to go back and play a game at home (not sure how this would work) but you know what I’m getting at.

However, there no way England players are to blame any more than Welsh or Irish ones playing poorer nations last weekend.

anagallis_arvensis

Can you imagine a school where the teachers give up some salary to help pay for something the school wont? It’d be bloody mental!

All the ones I’ve taught in?

Not a very good example that!

anagallis_arvensis

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/22/england-players-will-not-give-part-twickenham-match-fee-bankrupt-samoa-rugby-union

Heres the full article. Its come up about England due to players saying they would discuss it. Clearly they did and said no. I expect the Welsh and Irish players havent talked to the press about doing it and then not done it.

Wasnt it “newsworthy” last year too with England v Fiji and how much more Hughes got for playing for England?

wrecker
    Free Member

Whilst Samoa might be short of /squander money, the players are far from hurting. Four of the starting 15 play for Bristol and each earn a very handsome living, as the vast majority/all of them do.
    Addressing the gap IS a very complicated thing which is not best addressed through individual acts of charity. The solution to this is very firmly in the court of World Rugby.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Notice how there’s no links to the comments from an ex PI player saying that the donations mooted by the English players was pointless and just a band aid on a big problem….

It’s not the players fault that the RFU can afford to pay them well.

anagallis_arvensis

It’s not the players fault that the RFU can afford to pay them well.

Of course not. But how much money do Samoa get for the game from the RFU? Thats an issue the players could take a stand on.

anagallis_arvensis

And for the sake of clarity I very much doubt its an issue confined to the English Union. Rugby needs to look after the smaller nations better

tinybits
    Free Member

No ‘home’ team gives any money to the visitors, same happpens in every country. It’s supposed to be fair because you get nothing when playing away. Unfortunately Wales have played no test in Georgia, England none in Samoa / Tonga Fiji etc it’s the same for the southern tier 1 nations as well. It’s not at all fair but it’s clearly not the players responsibility to sort out via their pay packet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 4,076 total)

The topic ‘Rugby Thread 2017/18.’ is closed to new replies.