Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 1,696 total)
  • Rugby 2019 – 2020 Season
  • anagallis_arvensis

Thats some defence from Edinburgh!!

tjagain

Aye – cockers has toughened them up a bit but a bit toothless from Scarlets. Worst game I have seen for a long time. thud and blunder!

anagallis_arvensis

Scarlets dont have the players to be that great when Wales squad players are away.

tjagain

Edinburgh are missing around 15 players I think. We even had to drag Barcs out of semi retirement.

edit – Eight missing on international duty, a couple more only playing a half because they are going to be on the bench or playing next week

anagallis_arvensis

Yet you can still rely on a number of quality Mercs like Matta, Schooman and a few van der somethings, Scarlets dont have the budget.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Hogg scored a cracking try for Exeter last night.

Started the move and dismissed it…made sure the ball was firmly in two hands!

Wasps were shit today. Tigers were slightly bless shit.

tjagain

Scarlets have the same budget or very similar to Edinburgh. Its how you spend the money that counts. Want too much even if you are a Scotland star – go away. 1/4 million is being spent on AWJ for a max of 10 games for example. ( plus what he gets paid from the WRU). No one in Scotland earns as much as the top welsh players – that leaves you not enough for a deep squad

anagallis_arvensis

AWJ doesnt play for Scarlets, it should be noted also that Wales have won some stuff over the last 15 years Scotland have won?

tjagain

Shit – its the other Wyn Jones isn’t it! You should not have two players with the same name bar a hyphen in a different place. It confuses folk

the lack of budget is an excuse that does not stand up. Its spending your money wisely that counts.

anagallis_arvensis

Ospreys finally get a win!!!

anagallis_arvensis

the lack of budget is an excuse that does not stand up. Its spending your money wisely that counts.

Its not their money its the WRU’s and they have prioritised the Wales team. Like I said swings and roundabouts but at least Wales have won stuff without being able to look after the players Wales wouldnt have donecas well.
    Meanwhile Scotlands best player has played this weekend for Exeter and there other best player has **** off to France cause he cant stay off the beer.

tjagain

Indeed -and a deserved one with some fine tries, good discipline and dogged defense.

anagallis_arvensis

I thought they were going to blow it!!

Pigface
    Free Member

I thought they had blown it, worked hard for that win. Well done ‘spreys 👍

anagallis_arvensis

The idea that a pro team can win with Gardner and Price playing almost all the 80 is astonishing!! Lydiate is still a monster if people run at him!!

onehundredthidiot

They talk about player safety watching Exeter glaws. Second half some big boys swap and almost immediately glaws 19 instead of supporting his teammate in a drive into contact gives him an almighty shove. Meaning he hits the tackle all out of shape and even harder than he would have done. He also didn’t look like he was expecting it.

anagallis_arvensis

Its a current bug bear of mine, pushing your own players into the tackle and supporting players binding before contact. I thought at least one was illegal but both should be.

mindmap3
    Free Member

No Makko for England this weekend; he’s had to return to Tonga for family reasons.

anagallis_arvensis

Well that escalated quickly, 7 red cards!!

tjagain

Irony is not dead!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51550491
    The team who has made a specialty about being “clever” at scrums and who has a coach to coach “cleverness” at scrums complaining others cheat!

burko73

That game with all those red cards/ handbags they should just call it off when it gets to that stage. 0 points each. Everyone goes home and the fans get their money back on the tickets.

IdleJon

The team who has made a specialty about being “clever” at scrums and who has a coach to coach “cleverness” at scrums complaining others cheat!

What now? They have a coach in addition to the normal scrum coach(es)? And I can’t say that I’ve noticed Wales being any more ‘clever’ at scrums than anyone else.

anagallis_arvensis

TJ hates Gatland, just let it wash over, he clearly has failed to realise that Wales were a very clean team under Gatwards and gave away very few pens.

tjagain

Adam Jones – the master of “cleverness” at the scrum! I am still smarting from a 6N game a few years ago when the wales scrum clearly conned the ref into giving penalties when its the welsh that were cheating.

tjagain

Oh – and for what its worth I don’t decry Gatland as a coach – just I dislike some of his methods and tactics

IdleJon

Adam Jones – the master of “cleverness” at the scrum!

He’s not part of the WRU coaching team, is he?

anagallis_arvensis

Adam Jones – the master of “cleverness” at the scrum!

Hasnt played for Wales for about 5 years has he?

I am still smarting from a 6N game a few years ago when the wales scrum clearly conned the ref into giving penalties when its the welsh that were cheating.

Must be cheating because they beat Scotland!

I don’t decry Gatland as a coach – just I dislike some of his methods and tactics

So other than his methods and tactics what else is there, his hair style?
    Do you have an opinion on his methods and tactics he’s currently employing with Waikato?

snaps
    Free Member
    gauss1777
    Free Member

Wales team to play against France:

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Nick Tompkins, Hadleigh Parkes, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Wyn Jones, Ken Owens, Dillon Lewis, Jake Ball, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Ross Moriarty, Taulupe Faletau, Justin Tipuric.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Rob Evans, Leon Brown, Will Rowlands, Aaron Wainwright, Tomos Williams, Jarrod Evans, Johnny McNicholl.

Looks good to me. North has taken a lot of stick recently, but I don’t have a problem with his playing, I just hope they replace him if needed.

All the games are difficult to call with any degree of certainty this weekend. I’m hoping for a home team win in all games 😁.

anagallis_arvensis

Moriarty over Wainwright is a fair call, I think Wainwright will be a better player but seems a bit below his world cup performances. Tomos dropping out at 9 needs to learn to tackle, when he does that he’s above Davies. Surprised Watkin didnt get picked at 13, Tompkins was poor v ireland, allowed his opposite number to over power him he needed to be a bit smarter in defence. North needs to show some form, lose this game and we can go full experimental and bring in Gog Dammit.

Will be interested to see Rowlands get a run out.

France: Bouthier; Thomas, Vakatawa, Vincent, Fickou; Ntamack, Dupont; Baille, Marchand, Haouas, Le Roux, Willemse, Cros, Ollivon (capt), Alldritt.

Replacements: Chat, Gros, Bamba, Taofifenua, Cretin, Serin, Jalibert, Ramos.

France look strong, might be vulnerable on wings Thomas is poor in defence and Fickow is a great centre but could maybe be under pressure on wing.
    Tompkins has to face the tank that is Vakatawa, needs to press up fast and go low not try for the hits that failed v Henshaw

gauss1777
    Free Member

Tompkins was poor v ireland, allowed his opposite number to over power him he needed to be a bit smarter in defence.

The technicalities are beyond me, but I (who has never played) would presume it might take a few games to settle into the way Wales play? I presume that training is quite different to actual play, in that however much you try to predict what the other team might do, the realities can surprise you – which if correct, with the way France are playing could be scary!

This was interesting:

Ps with regards to Tompkins, he did appear very ‘hyped’ during both games, obviously really keen to do well. I presume he’ll relax once he’s played a few games more – I’ve not seen anyone else mention this, si I may have imagined it.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I’m going:
    Scotland, France, England

40% Italy (Scotland 60%)
    48% Wales (France 52%)
    56% England (Ireland 44%)

If Wales and England win, the competition will become super exciting!

anagallis_arvensis

The technicalities are beyond me, but I (who has never played) would presume it might take a few games to settle into the way Wales play?

True, but he got bumped going high into a much bigger opponent, thats all on him..

gauss1777
    Free Member

Squidge discussed that at 3 min into the video above I believe. As I say, I do not feel qualified to make judgement.

Twodogs

As I say, I do not feel qualified to make judgement.

you must be new here

anagallis_arvensis

Squidge discussed that at 3 min into the video above I believe

One instance yes, he went high for Lamours try too. Still I expect he’ll improve and its not like Watkin is great anyway!

gauss1777
    Free Member

you must be new here

😁 I am aware that most people in this thread are far more knowledgeable about rugby than me. I appreciate their tolerance in letting me spraff.

Kryton57

I am aware that most people in this thread are far more knowledgeable about rugby than me.

I wouldn’t count on it.   *waits for AA rebuff*

tjagain

I think Italy will beat Scotland. Once again Toonie has ignored G Horne who is a very special talent and on fire right now. Brought the guileless Harris back into the team and no strike runners! McGuigan on the bench FFS. Where will Scotland get tries from? Italy are playing a good fast expansive game and look like they will score tries against anyone

anagallis_arvensis

Italy are playing a good fast expansive game and look like they will score tries against anyone

Cough 42:0, cough, Italy are shite you should win, Parisse playing though isnt he? Might inspire them!!

I wouldn’t count on it.

Finally something we can agree on!

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 1,696 total)

The topic ‘Rugby 2019 – 2020 Season’ is closed to new replies.