Home Forums Bike Forum Rockshox Domain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rockshox Domain
  • Yorkshire Rich
    Free Member

As forks on my hardtail seem to be knackered I’ll be putting my current Yaris on that, so need new “big” forks for my full sus.

Options at the minute are the new Domain gold, or for bit more money could get some older Zebs, any thoughts?

Not massively fussed about a few hundred grams in weight or masses of adjustability.

Cheers

joebristol

I’d get an older Zeb with a proper charger damper personally.

The Domain Rc and R both have a motion control damper which is a bit limited – especially for a big fork that you’re charging hard on. The Domain Gold RC has an ‘isolator’ damper whatever that is – sounds like a budget ifp type thing.

I know you said weight isn’t an issue but the Domain is just over 2.5kg which is pretty bloody heavy.

northersouth
    Free Member

What’s your budget for this new fork?

Northwind

Like joe said, the bigger the fork the better the damper it needs, the basic Domains are the wrong fork for just about everything except smooth park laps. (honestly I reckon anyone that’s happy with a big fork and basic damper on anything else probably should just be getting a smaller bike)

baldiebenty
    Free Member

I’ve had a Yari that I upgraded with a charger damper immediately because it was far to “spiky” and harsh.

I now have the previous model domain on both of my bikes and I’ve not yet seen a reason to upgrade the damper (if you can find one ?) I reckon for 90% of riders it is a more than adequate fork.

In a couple of weeks I’ll be finding out how well it copes with the TransMadeira Enduro.

For me it seems the lack of flex gives it a bit more suppleness as it moves rather than bends ? maybe any extra oil present over the Yari because of the bigger diameter helps too. I just know it’s much better than the Yari was.

Yorkshire Rich
    Free Member

What’s your budget for this new fork?

On the basis that I can get an older Zeb for around £600 that’s kind of the top.

Latest Domain I can find for around £400

Any other options I should be thinking about?

For context this is going on my main bike used for doing a bit of everything, but I’m around 115kg at 6’4″ so have a tendency of breaking stuff so would rather get burlier stuff that’ll last.

joebristol

If you didn’t break the Yari then maybe add a Lyrik or Fox 36 to the list too?

Lyrik I’d want select + or Ultimate.

36 the Performance model with Grip is meant to be pretty good and will be cheaper than a performance elite / factory with the Grip 2 damper.

BillOddie

In true STW of recommending what you own…

Had a look at the Marzocchi Z1?  The older one with Grip Sweep damper is very very good and can be had for around the £500 mark.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

I’d definitely go for some older Zeb ultimates, there’s been some great prices on them recently, I personally stocked up on older lyrik ultimates to run 170mm 180mm as I like the front end as light as possible, saves me 300g over a Zeb but heaviest I’ve been is 80kg.

desperatebicycle

Have a set of 170mm Yaris, freshly serviced by a bike shop, I’d let go for £150 :)

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

There’s a few cheap DVO forks at Winstanleys.

matt_outandabout

There are some DVO’s much discounted at present, Winstanleys for a start.

IKNALTF

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Zeb Ultimates from Merlin at £600 is a decent buy. Charger 3 which can be upgraded in a year come service time to 3.1 if the desire is there. Just done a year on my Lyrik 3’s with no complaints..

desperatebicycle

There’s a few cheap DVO forks at Winstanleys.

I just ordered some 36 Factorys from them, yesterday… They are being delivered today! Brill service.

Northwind

Couple of people mentioned Grip damper’d foxes and zocchis, maybe worth mentioning that these are brilliant dampers but lacking in adjustment so some people just can’t get a good setup out of them. I’m too light and there was just no damping setting that worked, they were either reactive but super divey, or supportive but choked. Just a limitation of the compression damper/adjustment, high and low are tied together.

PS, come join the Cult of Coil. Big forks are always better with coils in, always.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.