Home Forums Bike Forum Roady bike question – Bleeding Shimano Ultegra R8070 brakes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Roady bike question – Bleeding Shimano Ultegra R8070 brakes
  • bfw

Evening,

Hope you are all well.

I am just about to order the service parts so I can shorten the hoses and bleed my brakes on my new racer. I would send it to the LBS but I like to do these things myself.

I am hoping there is someone out there can help me identify what is needed.

So its a R8070 groupset, purchased this year.

Shimano SM-BH90 Olive and connector insert x2
    Shimano TL-BT03S Disc Brake Bleeding Kit with Syringe & Reservoir Funnel
    Shimano Bh61 for Disc Hose Workshop Tool
    Shimano Dura-Ace ST-R9120 Funnel Adapter & O-ring
    Shimano Disc Brake Mineral Oil – 100ml

Anyone have a clue if these are the right items?

Haze

I bought the Epic bleeding kit, didn’t need it in the end though…mine came with the easy joint system so just trimmed the hose and pressed the insert in that came with them.

There’s already an olive in the shifter so pop the trimmed hose in, tighten and all being well you’re good to go.

BH62 tool is pretty nifty if you can get hold of one, I’m sure there’s plenty of alternatives though if not.

razorrazoo

The epic kits are a bit rubbish for shimano brakes.  I prefer one of the yellow sets from Amazon (just search brake bleed kits)

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just use the method shown in this video, it works an absolute treat.

djflexure

Make sure you only use a plastic connector for the reservoir, like the one Shimano supply. Some of the 3rd party kits supply a metal connector which might seem more robust but its very easy to strip the threads on the port if you use it.

pdw
    Free Member

Just use the method shown in this video, it works an absolute treat.

Never understood the love for this method. Unnecessarily messy, and without a lower syringe, you can’t make sure that the reservoir is actually full at the end of the bleed.

To answer the OP, yep, those look like the right parts. Do you have a 7mm spanner for the bleed nipple?

ransos
    Free Member

The epic kit worked fine for me.

Superficial
    Free Member

Make sure you only use a plastic connector for the reservoir, like the one Shimano supply. Some of the 3rd party kits supply a metal connector which might seem more robust but its very easy to strip the threads on the port if you use it.

Second this, I stripped the threads on a brand new set of (GRX) brakes. Fortunately, they were replaced under warranty (Thanks Merlin/Shimano), but it definitely seemed like a weak spot, I don’t think I’ve ever stripped any other threads in decades of spannering my own bikes.

I bought the Epic bleeding kit, didn’t need it in the end though…mine came with the easy joint system so just trimmed the hose and pressed the insert in that came with them.

Also this. My new brakes came with the bits to shorten cables. I did use a bleed kit though.

ant77
    Free Member

You probably have googled the method for bleeding as well, but it’s important to angle the levers up and down and flat. I think there are marks on the levers themselves to line up with the ground to ensure the correct angle. Did a mates like this after he had really spongey brakes and after doing it all level lots of bubbles came out when it was tilted.
    Much better braking now…

bfw

When the bike was ‘built’ by Sigma-Sport… dont start me on this btw

I never received any of the tool items inc (the little yellow plastic bits) you would normally get.

Yes I had sussed the keeping the MC on the level, cheers though. I ordered a BH62 from Taiwan, lets see if it shows up. This is my summer only dream bike so no rush. It was never really built/finished right. My nice LBS (Surrey Hill) confirmed everything that needs doing on a Bike Fit I had recently, but thought I would do the work myself as it pays for all the tools in effect, which is all good for the other bike in the family bike stable

I think with all your help I am sorted. Thank you all.

bfw

Thank you so much for the advice. I bought a BH62 tool (is pretty nifty if you can get hold of one), and ordered it from Taiwan and three days later it turned up. Its expensive, but wow it made life a lot easier.

I was shortening the tube as my stem has been lowered c30mm post bike fit, the rear brake I could loose the slack inside the tube, front i needed to take that 30mm out. The BH62 tool allowed me to cut and push the ‘ferrule’ in without striping the bar tape and removing the shifter. Something that normally took ages took a few seconds. In fact I would now say I can fit, trim and bleed faster that I can fit a cable.

Thank you so much for the advice above, you guys are stars. Have a good week.

footflaps

I bought the Epic bleeding kit,

I bought one and used it yesterday to rebleed a brake after swapping a faulty 105 calliper for a new GRX one (all I could find).

Never bled a road system before but instructions were clear and it all worked out fine.

NB I don’t have a workstand, so had to improvise….

DIY Bike stand by Ben Freeman[/url], on Flickr

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Roady bike question – Bleeding Shimano Ultegra R8070 brakes’ is closed to new replies.