Home Forums Bike Forum RIP Tweedlove

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • RIP Tweedlove
  • BoardinBob

Sad news. The events have been awesome. Even after I stopped racing, I still went to the main Tweedlove festival every year. That’s PMBA and Tweedlove gone in short succession, combined with the end of No Fuss a couple of years ago. Enduro is dead, long live Enduro

The end of the road for TweedLove

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

very sad news indeed, no mention if the end of august tweedlove family day and

14-15 sept innerleithen and 5-6oct yair forest events will be going ahead, hope so i’d planned to get a ticket for yair, just waiting on a friend to confirm date is good

DickBarton

A real shame, sadly seems to be the way of things just now. I do hope things improve, but suspect it will take more than changes just in the cycling world.

I think part of the issue is also how this country views cycling and MTB – it all seems to be based on recreational tourism, but it is far more than that, but the available monies seem to be largely from the tourism angle. Aware people who don’t live in the area and go their for an event are visitors and therefore tourists, but it is a biking event and if that isn’t on their doorstep then they are willing to travel to do the event and ride with mates, etc.

Unsure how it can be fixed, but I hope it can be. I don’t tend to do events, but know many who do and it seems a great loss for everyone involved.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Sad news. Although I personally have done enough races at the traditional valley venues I really enjoyed Laggan this year.

There are a lot of kids involved in racing and a loss of organisers is a huge blow for the sport in Scotland and further afield.

2025 could be a very empty year

chakaping

Well that was an interesting read, kudos to Neil for telling it straight.

Ten years on, and though numbers racing here are still strong, the whole enduro vibe has changed, not helped by sub-par management and direction of the sport at the top level

Shots fired at Mr Ball.

BoardinBob

Shots fired at Mr Ball.

There’s no love lost between them apparently. Fell out after the EWS in 2015 according to rumours. Controversy over the super long pedally stage that all the pros complained about, that ultimately ended up being dropped after the weather deteriorated on race day

BoardinBob

2025 could be a very empty year

Enduro wise there’s really nothing left other than the smaller races up in Aberdeen. Muckmedden appear to be doing some team enduro race this year, but they stopped all their other races a few years back.

Glentress 7 is also a big loss. Not something I’ve ever done but it was really popular.

dc1988

It’s a shame but sounds like there is the possibility of it restarting in future in a slightly smaller way.

chakaping

There’s no love lost between them apparently.

Clearly – and it’s refreshing to read.

It’d be nice to see more people calling ESO out for the way they’ve mishandled the sport (maybe STW will surprise us by doing something on it, but I won’t hold my breath).

Anyway, Neil is very mature in acknowledging the various factors – including trying to run a professional events organisation in an industry that maybe can’t support one.

BruceWee

Shots fired at Mr Ball.

And at ebike racing, which I think is fair enough.  Ensuring homologation must be a right pain in the arse.

joe-m

So we’re saying ebikes ruin everything?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Very interesting read.

Never managed to make a Tweedlove event but they were obviously doing something right, it’s just external factors conspiring against them.

That’s the last major series in Scotland now gone. PMBA do rounds up here but are UK wide, SES went with No Fuss and we’re now left with a few novelty events at Glencoe, Nevis Range and Comrie. Whether the money is there for smaller events to move into the space is questionable but Muckmedden have managed to put on the Comrie race.

scotroutes

And at ebike racing, which I think is fair enough.

And at local government and national government and the locals and the manufacturers and everybody who doesn’t pick up a shovel.

benpinnick

So we’re saying ebikes ruin everything?

They’re certainly going to continue to impact mountain biking. eBikes are a major factor in the racing problem, and I suspect (from what I have seen) also leading to falling numbers of riders at trail centres etc. across the country. As they become more prevalent its likely we’ll see continued falls in rider numbers, trail development and events, which of course will in turn cause a fall in rider numbers, trail development, and events. Its hard of course to determine how much the weather is effecting it, its certainly played a major part too this year.

Its not a rosy future for mountain bikes (e or otherwise). That said, other types of riding like gravel are thriving off the back of the fall in MTB.

PMBA do rounds up here but are UK wide

Did rounds up in scotland. PMBA also shut up shop last week.

chrismac

Sad news but it sounds like simple economics is the problem.  The organisers can’t attract enough income from all sources to make a viable commercial success from the event so have taken the only option left.

BoardinBob

everybody who doesn’t pick up a shovel

Forestry Commission in the valley are apparently very difficult to work with. The trails on the inners side for example get zero maintenance. There’s been a couple of high profile digs of very short sections, but general necessary maintenance is zero from the forestry commission. Adrenaline Uplift have been pushing for ages to take on some of that work and the forestry simply won’t allow it. I get the liability angle, but it’s not an unsolvable problem. It just seems like a lot of barriers to getting the work done.

The trail fairies are no more. TVTA have a very limited number of trails they’re allowed to work on.

snotrag

Doing the Glentress 7 in a couple of weeks for the first time – never been to Glentress, never done a Tweedlove event but always meant to get round to it. Looking forward to it hugely so a shame it could be the last.

pothead
    Free Member

Naughty Northumbrian also been called off for this year due to lack of entries

onehundredthidiot

everybody who doesn’t pick up a shovel

Which is quite ironic.

intheborders
    Free Member

Forestry Commission in the valley are apparently very difficult to work with. The trails on the inners side for example get zero maintenance. There’s been a couple of high profile digs of very short sections, but general necessary maintenance is zero from the forestry commission. Adrenaline Uplift have been pushing for ages to take on some of that work and the forestry simply won’t allow it. I get the liability angle, but it’s not an unsolvable problem. It just seems like a lot of barriers to getting the work done.

The trail fairies are no more. TVTA have a very limited number of trails they’re allowed to work on.

The only trails really been built (with the exception of the GT ones paid for by the cabin ‘income’) in the Valley are by off-book trail builders.  And when you’re building off-book it takes vastly more manpower as we don’t have the ability to bring in machines and the like – and we’re paying for our own tools…

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Is this a recent change in F&LS’s attitude or have they always been like that?

mark88

Agree with the above comments about the mishandling of EWS sucking the momentum out of the sport. ESO killing Scottish Enduro Series didn’t help either.

However I think the UK scene is just as responsible for their own downfall. I’ve dabbled in a fair amount of enduros over the years and have completely lost interest, mainly because the national series is so poor.

The “festival” element of Tweedlove was rubbish but (I was informed by an employee) is one of the reasons their entry was expensive. Stupid rules like not being included in BNES points if you opt for unseeded start to ride with your mates became annoying. I haven’t done a Tweedlove since they enforced mandatory full faces.

I think organisers need to make an effort to do something interesting with e bikes. That’s what so many are riding now so just mixing them in with the main enduro seems a bit lazy.

nickc

Lots to unpack in the article. Firstly I have sympathy with any small business that has to close its doors, it’s a nightmare for both the owners and the workers, and I hope they untangle themselves as best they can. Running an events business can’t be easy at the best of times, and running bike events post covid can only be a nightmare of epic proportions.

There’s a bit of ‘cake-ism’ though, you can’t on the one hand celebrate enduro for it’s punk ethos and ‘who cares’ attitude to official race organisers, and then in the same paragraph blame those same official race organisers, when it all goes tits up. Especially seeing as they are [de facto] official race organisers themselves ( for this event at least.)

Popular race formats rise up and die off as trends and fashion wax and wane,  12 and 24 hours racing, Single speed championships, and now enduro events, ‘Something something E-bike’ will no doubt emerge when some-one works out a format for it, and the merry-go-around will crank up again.

ayjaydoubleyou

Decline in participation…

This year, for the first time (apart from 2020) since I started biking, I haven’t done a race.

I’ve only done one paid entry event (Heaven of the south – brilliant, highly recommended).

Over the past few years I’ve tried the more local Enduro and XC races, and made multiple trips up to Ard Rock and Ard Moors.

This year, I just didn’t have any interest in signing up. Felt too unfit for XC, and had too many mediocre Enduro experiences. Previously I’d probably be paying £200-300 a year on events.

Has the novelty of Enduro worn off? Has the top end of the results sheet gone too far towards DH (in both equipment and personal risk) to make the have-a-go-trail-rider reconsider if its actually what they want to spend their weekends doing?

I’ve got a plan to give XC a go again next year/this winter. Gorrick and SouthernXC. Use them or lose them I guess. But that does require a bit of training…

scotroutes

Has the novelty of Enduro worn off? Has the top end of the results sheet gone too far towards DH (in both equipment and personal risk) to make the have-a-go-trail-rider reconsider if its actually what they want to spend their weekends doing?

TBH that’s what I was wondering. The more pro it becomes the fewer participants; skill, time and cost are all factors. Many of the former competitors will now have bought an e-bike and are unlikely to have the budget for a suitable bike too (especially given the costs).

joshvegas
    Free Member

As apeebles resident it pretty sad. I admit i was a bit pissed off coming along the back road to find a number of competitors over the last few years decided their vans should be parked up on the bike lane…

But other than that its bee good.

finbar
    Free Member

If only there was a different kind of enduro, that was say, a 6h timed route round some cool trails, a bit like an MTB sportive… it’d never catch on ;-)

mashr

If only there was a different kind of enduro, that was say, a 6h timed route round some cool trails, a bit like an MTB sportive… it’d never catch on ;-)

people who want to race Enduro and people who want to do Endurance racing, aren’t necessarily the same people. Similarly the trails used in one aren’t the same as the other

finbar
    Free Member

Thank you for pointing that out @mashr :D . My comment was a joke (evidently a poor one) based on what used to be called enduro racing in the UK in the 00s.

As noted in this old Pinkbike article

In some countries, like the UK, there is need for some clarity – in the last few years some events called themselves enduros, long-distance races that didn’t use the timed stages and untimed liaisons which define enduro. As Gravity Enduro series organiser Steve Parr jokes, “the UK are lazy bastards, instead of saying endurance, they said, ‘oh, enduro, it’s shorter!’ They just shortened it and it stuck because it’s cool, it’s a nice name.”

nickc

Has the novelty of Enduro worn off?

I think as soon as you want to have an Enduro race format that uses the same trails that pro-racers and mortals are using, it will run into issues. On the face of it, the Pros appear to be doing the same thing we do, but in reality their level is so far beyond what the rest of can manage it just isn’t.

So, who do you cater for? Attract the Pro racers and put it on the calendar, and your event is going to be stratospherically popular but the riding will either be too tame for them or out of necessity to keep the paying punters happy (and out of A&E), too technically and physically demanding  for the mortals. It’s a tricky balance, fo’shure

I hear what he says about the local authority being short sighted, but from their side, their budgets are so squeezed right now, there are L.A.’s that are going bankrupt. I’m pretty sure that they’re painfully aware that cancelling promotional activity in the long run is harmful to the livelihoods of  local residents and their businesses but at the same time, they have legal responsibilities that need that funding urgently right now…

grey

I’ve been going to and working at Tweedlove since the start , this is a big loss to the community.

The writing has been on the wall for a while though , when it first started it was ten days of events , everything from organised local rideouts to kids events and enduro as the icing on the cake.

It’s now just a few events over the year and lost a lot of the fun.

I loved my time volunteering and meeting loads of new people and made some close friends over the years.

As for the EWS it went to shit when you had to qualify to enter it and the got rid of the E2 class where you could turn up and race the trails with your mates. I can see it failing soon too.

I feel sorry for all the local kids that have grown up with Tweedlove (local clubs are vastly oversubscribed, MTB is so popular) and the valley kids are amazing riders.

I would like to to thank Niel and Fi for all the years of riding and good times , Tweedlove has been their life for so long , what started as as sideline turned into a huge thing. Thank you.

squirrelking
    Free Member

<em style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-border-spacing-x: 0; –tw-border-spacing-y: 0; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246/0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000; color: #ffffff; font-family: Roboto, ‘Helvetica Neue’, Arial, ‘Noto Sans’, sans-serif, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, ‘Segoe UI’, ‘Apple Color Emoji’, ‘Segoe UI Emoji’, ‘Segoe UI Symbol’, ‘Noto Color Emoji’; background-color: #444444;”>Didrounds up in scotland. PMBA also shut up shop last week.

Gah, missed that!

There’s a bit of ‘cake-ism’ though, you can’t on the one hand celebrate enduro for it’s punk ethos and ‘who cares’ attitude to official race organisers, and then in the same paragraph blame those same official race organisers, when it all goes tits up.

I think the ‘punk’ attitude is towards BC and the UCI who have nothing to do with Enduro whilst the ire is obviously reserved for EWS and ESO who have massively dropped the ball. Not really contradictory at all.

The trails on the inners side for example get zero maintenance. There’s been a couple of high profile digs of very short sections, but general necessary maintenance is zero from the forestry commission. Adrenaline Uplift have been pushing for ages to take on some of that work and the forestry simply won’t allow it. I get the liability angle, but it’s not an unsolvable problem. It just seems like a lot of barriers to getting the work done.

Yup, last time I went on my Pitch it was a miserable experience, I used to ride those trails on a hardtail but they had become so rutted and worn that you needed more travel than I had to smooth it out. I actually wonder if they have been maintained at all since I last rode them in 2009 or so. Arwen was just the dogshit icing on the rotten cake and I’ve not had the enthusiasm to return since.

snotrag

I am definitely in this camp.Note how some of my favourite events of past years, Ard Rock (not actually that ‘ard), Boltby Bash and the Hamsterley Beast, seemed to do very well and crucially are all the right side of the diffculty swing. Trail Bikes and a decent set of legs will get you round.

Funny that that the Naughty Northumbrian, which proudly proclaims itself to be

a Black, 3 bar on the Enduro World Series scale of events.

Is the one that isnt running due to lack of entries.

See also the mandatory Full Face helmet thing. I dont own one. I didnt know that was a Tweedlove thing for their Enduros but that precludes me from entry and frankly is not what I am looking for in ‘Enduro’ racing.

mashr

@finbar my bad! There were plenty of people around these parts who genuinely didn’t get what Enduro was back in the day

BoardinBob

Participation is definitely down significantly.

Looking at the recent Tweedlove International race in June, they had about 250 entrants.

Pre COVID that race had 450 – 500 entrants

ayjaydoubleyou

people who want to race Enduro and people who want to do Endurance racing, aren’t necessarily the same people. Similarly the trails used in one aren’t the same as the other

XC marathon course from Worlds last year:

squirrelking
    Free Member

Anyway, this is quite concerning, they’re not the first organiser to close down, publically or otherwise, in the last few years. What’s filling the gap? Because I can’t see any new events making up the numbers.

BoardinBob

The “festival” element of Tweedlove was rubbish

I’d disagree massively with that. This year was an unfortunate washout with horrendous weather, but in every other year the “festival” bit has been very busy all day, loads going on, great for kids, beer tent absolutely rammed, showed movies at night, live bands, all the exhibitors, a real buzz about it

hatter

I hear what he says about the local authority being short sighted, but from their side, their budgets are so squeezed right now,

*waves* Councillor here, I cannot really overstate how squeezed local government budgets are right now, we also have a huge swath of services that we are legally obliged to provide  (i.e. bin collections) so when the costs of all those go up and our funding doesn’t all the ‘nice to have but not legally mandated’ stuff is where the cuts have to fall.

The fact that many many more councils haven’t gone pop over the last year is testament to thousands of extremely tough decisions having to be made in city halls up and down the country, I sure as hell didn’t get elected to see public services get worse and I’m sure the Councillors who turned down additional support for Tweedlove weren’t either but this is where we are and until Westminster changes course this is where we’ll remain.

richardkennerley

Sounds like the Ardrock sport to me. That’s the type of event I’d like there to be more of, so I can ride the marshalled, waymarked route of trails i’m not normally able to ride, plus get all the festival vibes alongside it, without feeling the need to compete or worry too much about the odd arsehole that takes it too seriously and gets the hump if I’m in the way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.