Home Forums Bike Forum RideLondon 2025 Cancelled

• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by bfw.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • RideLondon 2025 Cancelled
  • nickingsley

https://www.ridelondon.co.uk

Frustrating, as after really enjoying Ride to the Sun 2024 I was planning to do that as my first closed road 100 mile event. Wonder why?

Are there any other 100mile closed road events in the UK, or the close continent?

ernielynch

Wonder why?

No idea but it would not surprise me if cost was the issue.

nickingsley

Aye, road closures, policing costs, etc.. are an issue for numerous events and for the best part of 100miles of roads they are going to be significant.

crazy-legs

The RideLondon Classique Women’s race that went alongside the whole RideLondon weekend was moved (apparently by the UCI and without consultation but who knows…) so without that, it becomes a whole load of expensive road closures for very little return. If you can have the Women’s race (and the resulting tourism, TV coverage etc) it’s viable but without that it’s like the London Marathon but 10x as disruptive and costly.

London wasn’t able to just go “oh OK, we’ll do that weekend instead” because these things take years to plan and you can’t just change dates at the drop of a hat.

I did the original Box Hill event a few times, was good fun.

As they say though, it could probably do with a bit of a refresh anyway, here’s hoping it comes back for 2026.

nickingsley

Ah, get that. Must be incredibly annoying, frustrating, etc.. for the organisers.

Anyone any ideas on alternatives 100 milers on closed roads?

hockropper

Isn’t there one in scotland that goes up baleach n ba

crazy-legs

Anyone any ideas on alternatives 100 milers on closed roads?

As far as I know, the only closed road Sportives left in the UK are Etape Loch Ness (April) and Etape Caledonia (May). Loch Ness is only 100km, the Caledonia I think is about 85 miles.

Quite honestly, you’d be better off going abroad. The famous Majorca 312 has a 167km (100 mile) option, that’s all closed roads. France and Spain both do a few closed road Sportives.

greenfold
    Free Member

I think Tour of the Borders Sept 2025 is planned to be closed road but it’s only 120km.

scotroutes

Isn’t there one in scotland that goes up baleach n ba

The Bealach Mor is only 140km and it’s only the main hill road that’s on closed roads.

bfw

I always thought it was lame in comparison to the original, even though that was mostly a flat blast to Surrey and back with a few hills thrown in.  Nimby’s put paid to that

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.