Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Revealing a Rape victims name on Twitter
  • hora
    Free Member

Re the Rapist and supposed football ‘fans’ who named the poor girl on Twitter.

Seriously, what the **** are these people on?

wingnuts

Although too late for the poor victim, it would be illegal wouldn’t it?

MrsToast
    Free Member

Hopefully they’ll be prosecuted and jailed.

hora
    Free Member

Hopefully they’ll be prosecuted and jailed.

I sincerely hope so. Were they ‘aggrieved’ that not having the fella may affect their promotional chances? **** hell.

Hadge
    Free Member

The power of the internet and idiots just not understanding law. I seriously hope they get sent down for what’s happened and from the way things have been going over peoples comments on the net they certainly will. Absolutely absurd and beyond belief.

martinhutch

It’s a lot worse than that drunk idiot who got jailed over the Muamba tweets. Hopefully the coppers and courts have got their priorities in order and come down on this lot like a ton of bricks.

Will be interesting to see the response, anyhow.

hels
    Free Member

Under what law would they be prosecuted, does anybody know ?

I would guess it’s contempt of court, as the victim would have been granted name suppression

hora
    Free Member

Thats a point. Didn’t Eden Marks (the fella named in the Metro article) make the connection that if someone can be jailed for racist remarks on Twitter naming a rape victim might also have ramifications?!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Section 486.4 provides for orders restricting publication of information that could identify a complainant or witness in a sexual offence .
    Section 486.5 deals with publication bans on information revealing the names of victims, witnesses and justice system participants, where the order is deemed necessary for the proper administration of justice.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I don’t think the situation is helped much when, post conviction, you have one of the rapist’s team mates calling his victim ‘a slag’ and a ‘money grabbing little tramp’. Wonder if he’ll be disciplined by his club? :/

BermBandit
    Free Member

‘money grabbing little tramp’

I think if that were true the correct response would be to pursue a complaint of blackmail, as opposed to slating her on Twitter. However, as with most things about the footballers in this case there hasn’t been much that stands up to examination, so no real reason to expect any difference with the latest halfwit to throw his hat into the ring.

Personally, I hope he gets a similar sentence to his rapist friend, hats off to the girl involved, this must be like getting attacked all over again, and frankly I think she has displayed considerable courage in standing up to these twunts.

skiprat
    Free Member

Not in anyway condoning what has happened but how come the other chap got off? From BBC news website:-

In sentencing him to five years in prison the judge said: “The complainant was 19 years of age and was extremely intoxicated.

Defender Clayton McDonald signed for Port Vale last season “CCTV footage shows, in my view, the extent of her intoxication when she stumbled into your friend.

“As the jury have found, she was in no condition to have sexual intercourse.

“When you arrived at the hotel, you must have realised that.”

So if she was drunk and in no fit state at the start by stumbling into his friend, how come both didn’t get sent down?

Looks like a similar story to this one (sorry its in the Daily Mail)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-202766/Football-stars-named-hotel-rape-case.html

kimbers

i really do hope his ‘little tramp’ commenting team mate and all those who named her on twitter get sent down

kimbers

did u also see that the PFA decided not to drop ched evans name from team of the year announced on sunday!?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/23/ched-evans-pfa-team-year?CMP=twt_gu

toby1

Top of my reason for loathing football is the players, second is the fans.

higgo
    Free Member

toby1 – Member

What a strange (and sad) person you are.

avdave2

You are obviously as intelligent as those you loath.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Nahh footballers and their fans are ****. :mrgreen:

Rugby is where it’s at. 👿

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

ha ha toby1 I tend to agree with (although a bit of a big generalisation). I have worked many football matches and most of the supporters just want to shout abuse across the stands!

Anyway Skiprat I think the answer is here no one knows as we don’t have the full facts unfortunately.

tjr666
    Free Member

Well you can add another strange person to your list here…hate footbal, hate the mentality, hate the idiots it brings out of the woodwork, hate the fact that its the national sport, the arrogance and the financial crap that goes along with it…to be fair though it should have had (majority) prior to fans.

aracer
    Free Member

Not in anyway condoning what has happened but how come the other chap got off

I’ve seen it suggested elsewhere that that shows the jury were actually paying very careful attention to the actual evidence and the necessary requirement of proof, rather than simply deciding on the basis of what they thought about the victim and defendants. The point being that it’s rather more difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt that she didn’t give consent to the one she apparently willingly accompanied back to his hotel room than to the one who only turned up in the room after she was clearly completely out of it.

kimbers

aracers correct

konagirl
    Free Member

skiprat, we are only party to those snippets of information provided by journalists present at the trial; the jury made the decision to find Evans guilty and Carlton not based on the evidence. My opinion, and it is just that, from reading the reported snippets on the BBC website is that, although Carlton had sex with the woman whilst she was drunk, it was difficult to ascertain with any certainty the circumstances by which she got to the hotel and most importantly (I believe), when Carlton left, he went via the front desk and asked the receptionist to “make sure [the woman] gets home safely”. Evans, on the other hand, made statements in court that he “didn’t remember” making a phone call to Carlton and getting in a taxi with the two who stood outside the window filming, yet he could remember exactly what the woman said when in the hotel; he lied to the receptionist to obtain a key card for the room; and when he left, he left by the emergency exit, avoiding the reception area. I think those were the key differences.

It’s so sad and worrying that these comments have come out, as it will deter any victim of sexual abuse from going through court proceedings. It’s difficult enough as it is to get victims to testify. And there is a sense that some members of society just don’t understand the letter of the law regarding rape and what rape is.

EDIT: aracer put it more elequantly than me!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Revealing a Rape victims name on Twitter’ is closed to new replies.