Home Forums Bike Forum Rethreading a bottom bracket shell – Is it a common job?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Rethreading a bottom bracket shell – Is it a common job?
  • Netdonkey

I was removing a hollow tech 2 bottom bracket from a alu frame tonight. The BB had been in there for about 3 years and took a little bit of work to remove it. When i tried to install the new one it was tight so, not wanting to force it I gave up, I noticed that the threads were damaged further into the shell (much further than the couple of turns I gave it before giving up). Not massive damage but clearly enough to stop the BB threading in.

My question is – Is it common to have to have to run a tap through an Alu BB shell after removing a sticky BB?

Cheers

ND

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

its not uncommon if the bottom has been in for that long without moving.

you will have had the presence of moisture and likely a little oxidisation going on which has begun to bond the bb and frame.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s not common to need it, but it shouldn’t be hard to find a shop to do it.

Are you looking for a warranty claim?

Netdonkey

Mathewshotbolt,

Yes there was the presence of moisture. So there must have been some bonding. Luckily not too much force was used so I am pretty sure it will re-tap just fine. I have a good LBS who will have no probs tapping it. And the BB was bought from them too.

Cynic-al, not not looking for a warrantee claim, I fitted the original BB myself. I suspect a little more grease on the threads will help reduce the risk of bonding when I install the next one

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Rethreading a bottom bracket shell – Is it a common job?’ is closed to new replies.