Home Forums Bike Forum Replacing 700c rims… DIY?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Replacing 700c rims… DIY?
  • rapidrob95
    Free Member

I’ve got an 80s Peugeot tandem which gets semi-frequent use and is a barrel of laughs. However, Chrome rims are slightly terrifying, and mean that stopping distances are measured in furlongs rather than metres. Looking on SJS cycles, I can get some 40 spoke aluminium rims for £30 each, so I’m looking for guidance on how to change the rims over. I don’t mind getting my hands dirty, and the LBS quote of £50 a wheel make me baulk at the cost of paying someone else to do it. The most I’ve done before with wheels is replace spokes, so is it do-able without all of the gear? A rough measure looks like I can get away with re-using spokes.

kimura54321

Are you 100% sure they are 700c and not 27” for an 80s bike?

From SJS – Rims – 700c – 622 – The most common larger wheel size now, superceded the 27″ (630) size

You need to know the ERD (effective rim diameter) or distance between the nipples to confirm the new rims are compatible with your current spokes. If they aren’t then you need to replace them as well and work out the lengths required.

If you want to build your own wheels in the future then go for it, but it takes time if DIY or money to get the kit. You will need a stand/dishing tool/nipple driver (bought or home made), 4 sided spoke key and ideally a spoke tension gauge. As a one off £50 isn’t that bad to be honest if it is parts and labour.

tomhoward

I wouldn’t want to be re-using 30-40 year old spokes. That, plus the cost of a rim and the rebuild brings you up to £160- £200ish for the pair which at that point, unless you have a particular attachment to the hubs, I’d be looking at new wheels.

rapidrob95
    Free Member

Yep 700c for sure, I assumed they’d be 27″ originally! ERD looks similar from my rough measurement, will need to have a closer look.
    Tom, you may have a point, they’ve been fine for several hundred miles and they aren’t exactly lightweight spokes. If I could find a wheelset for £200ish I’d buy that. Its got a rear hub brake and ideally I’d like something that roughly suits the age of the bike.

oldnpastit

I’m not an expert wheel builder or anything, but I’ve built a few wheels, and honestly it’s not that hard if you’re patient and careful, can read instructions, and don’t mind redoing stuff if you get it wrong the first time.

You need a spoke wrench, but that’s about £5. A truing stand is really nice to have, but at a pinch, an upside-down bike and cable ties will also be good enough. A nipple driver would also be nice but you can do without that as well if you don’t mind taking a bit longer.

Whether it’s economic though is another question. If you start to price in the value of your time then take it to an LBS. It will take them *much* less time than it will you.

EDIT: I bought a copy of Roger Musson’s book after a few indifferent wheels. Well worth it IMO.

kimura54321

Ah, the 80s are further away than I remembered! 😢

Agree that getting new wheels makes sense unless the hubs are some fancy vintage super record ones that are in great condition.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Are you 100% sure they are 700c and not 27” for an 80s bike?

French have been using 700c looong before we did its a daft french system afterall

finishthat
    Free Member

Wheels on a tandem take a hammering and will not forgive any mistakes or more likely spoke tension issues, if you can get somebody with experience or lbs to check them after you swap the rims then go ahead but if not maybe let them do the job.
    Also check with SJS that the rims are suitable for tandem use , 40 hole most likely are but good to check. (check the Q&A on the black 40 hole rim they sell)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Replacing 700c rims… DIY?’ is closed to new replies.