Home Forums Bike Forum Repairing a patch of missing tread on road bike tyre

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Repairing a patch of missing tread on road bike tyre
    13thfloormonk

Gutted, a couple of months ago managed to slice the shoulder of my brand new GP5000. It went deep enough to cause a bulge in the carcass but I’ve re-enforced with two puncture patches on the inside, so the tube is going nowhere.

But the slice has allowed a flap of tread to gradually peel away despite several applications of Superglue, so there’s now about half a centimetre squared of carcass exposed.

Despite my best efforts on the corners I doubt I’m on that section of tread very much, is there some sort of rubber repair product that could fill it in a bit, at least stop more tread getting torn off?

dovebiker

Shoo Goo?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Shoegoo or Gorilla Glue? Or even normal patch cement?

Superglue sets rigid, so its not surprising its failed as its been flexed.

13thfloormonk

Ah yes, obvious really, will give one of those a shot, ta

Merak

Bulging carcass is a new tyre scenario. Not worth the dental bills imo.

submarined
    Free Member

That’s a hard nope from me I’m afraid. I suspect you know the answer here :(
    I’ve got a very new looking GravelKing in the garage that’s suffered a similarly galling fate.

13thfloormonk

Bulging carcass is a new tyre scenario. Not worth the dental bills imo

Yeah… I sort of don’t want to give in too easily as I secretly want to replace it, having realised I could have fitted one size wider in there!

It’s on the rear and to look at really isn’t a very big bulge, not sure how catastrophic a failure could be…

cookeaa

IME rear tyres are under a bit more load/stress and already wear that bit faster. It’s honestly not worth the effort of patching and sticking the thing back together repeatedly.

Money ‘wasted’ I know but bin it and replace. Would you operate the same policy with car tyres?

Merak

If it’s any consolation I slashed a brand new Urban GP on its first proper run a few weeks ago..

£40 odd quid down the drain. They’re lovely soft supple tyres but yeah durability not so much.

13thfloormonk

Fine… I’ll buy a new one, but I’m showing my wife this thread as justification haha

stevious

Bulging carcass is a new tyre scenario

Bulging carcass were great at Bristol Bierkeller in 2001 but i thought New Tyre Scenario were a bit try-hard.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.