Home Forums Bike Forum Reflective cycling rainjacket – what brand? Ettore, FWE, Proviz (✯◡✯)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Reflective cycling rainjacket – what brand? Ettore, FWE, Proviz (✯◡✯)
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

Commuting in the dark and rain, a silver reflective jacket seems like a good idea, I’ve seen some around and they stand out more than anything else I’ve seen on the road. Haven’t quite found a jacket that I’m convinced is somewhat durable. Some have vents that help with breath-ability.

fde
    FWE Kennington, durability concerns, not breathable, 10000 mm waterproof, 75 GBP

Ettore (Amazon brand), good reviews but too early to judge wear, only avail in XXL, no waterproof spec, 39 GBP

fe
    Proviz, 5000 mm waterproof, wears poorly 61 gbp (plus version is 83)

df
    Newl, no waterproof rating, 20 GBP

mikertroid
    Free Member

Looks good:

Altria NV3

yohandsome
    Free Member

Seems like the Altria ain’t good with backpacks :(

Dont buy this jacket if you wear a backpack or if you are likely to move a lot when cycling!

matt_outandabout

I’d just buy a better waterproof and reflective workman’s bib.

IMO, the drivers do see us, they just instinctively ignore or decide what the hell anyway. More reflective doesn’t solve that.

MoreCashThanDash

Reflective jackets like this only work in the dark when hit by headlights, when they are amazing. Rest of the time they are just a muzzy grey colour. If you only need to wear one in the dark, then great, otherwise get one with colour as well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good lights and ankle bands are better than any reflective jacket.

Other than that, this is rather excellent. Had one for a few weeks now, and very impressed.

https://road.cc/content/review/252130-altura-nightvision-thunderstorm-jacket

grahamt1980

Sugoi zap jackets are seriously bright too, but also breathable and coloured for use during the day

DezB
    Free Member

Discussed recently in this ere thread:
    https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/coats-that-look-white-when-in-car-headlights/

Reflective jackets like this only work in the dark when hit by headlights,
    I think they look superb when I’ve seen one in the dark – and its not just car headlights that ‘light them up’ – my bike lights do.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Didn’t see this in time to edit/add to my post.

If you only need to wear one in the dark, then great, otherwise get one with colour as well.

Wise words!

StirlingCrispin

“Reflective jackets like this only work in the dark when hit by headlights, ”

I disagree. My 10-yr old son has a Ellesse reflective jacket and it shines like a shiney thing at all times.

trumpton
    Free Member

just get a decent waterproof and get a good quality high vis vest over the top. Much more versatile.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Reflective jackets can be made reflective in different ways, some use “dots” of reflective material, others are reflective all over, the latter type are also very visible in daylight IMO.

Not interested in using a vest, not as visible and more impractical than having a coat.

leffeboy

Altura NightVision are really good.  My only issue has been the breast pocket zip so i just take care with those now.  I always wear a backpack.

I think you should possibly not read quite so much into reviews.   A single 1 star review can  indicate a problem with the reviewer as much as the product.  Same with 5 star reviews, often means someone has done a bit of ‘star’ marketing.  Care more about the stuff in the middle

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Bought one of https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman-Mens-Gents-Cycling-Jacket-Gilet-Zip-Off-Removable-Sleeve-Clothing-/202072921160?var=&hash=item74e59e8da1 (you could use the 10% promo code “peachy” on this today, and/or any other sporting goods, I got mine with the Boardman convertible MTB trousers for ~£65 back around August), a few positive comments on how visible it makes me for the sub-0700 commute into work this autumn.

Thought having zip off sleeves could make it more of a 3-season jacket. Wearing work uniform rather than my recreational MAMIL kit under it probably doesn’t help, but if I relatively blast it in or home, I quite badly “boil in the bag” unless the temp is under approx +5C.

As and when I next pop out for a recreational ride, hopefully today given it’s dry and not so windy, I’ll try wearing the gillet bit over my Aldi merino long sleeve baselayer and (red) Altura Peleton Transformer jacket

patagonian
    Free Member

I was looking at all those jackets too but ended up with a DHB Flashlight Force. It has large sections of reflective materials rather than full coverage, it keeps the rain out and fits me really well.
    It’s great for commuting.

bsims
    Free Member

Whilst looking for my winter shorts I saw Madison do a reflective jacket with high viz shoulders, so that should stop the gammon and assorted fuktards shouting at you as well. I also think I saw a cheeper version of this in Halfords.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Ordered the Ettore in XXL, see how it fits!

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve asked for the Pro-viz for Christmas so will hopefullty soon find out! Don’t ride much on the road outside of the commute so its just for the nighttime return from work. WHen I saw someone wearing one I was very impressed.

However, the thing that always realy stands out at night for me is when people have lights attached to their spokes.

yohandsome
    Free Member

You can also add reflective tape to your rims, that’s black in daylight, guess it gives a bit of extra visibility from the side, but if wearing a reflective jacket I don’t think it’ll add much!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Reflective cycling rainjacket – what brand? Ettore, FWE, Proviz (✯◡✯)’ is closed to new replies.