• This topic has 572 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 573 total)
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Rosss
    Free Member

Played a couple of hours tonight, graphically it’s amazing but it hasn’t gripped me yet. Looks like a train robbery is imminent, I’ll give it another few hours tomorrow

Drac

It does feel a bit slow paced with a fair bit of trotting along with not much going on so far,but hopefully it’ll get better.

Once you’re through the main introduction missions there’s loads going on much like the first characters lead their lives around you waving you down or shouting for help. Then there’s the added details you need to pay attention eating, clothing, washing and looking after your horse.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

What is everyone playing it on? Do I need an xbox X or will an S do?

dannybgoode

What is everyone playing it on? Do I need an xbox X or will an S do?

PS4 Pro 😉

Drac

S will do.

PS4 Pro for me.

chvck
    Free Member

The human cost of creating and releasing RDR2 to schedule.

Be interesting to see how this plays out, not that I suspect we’ll hear much more than RS would like us to hear

I was about to post this, one of my Twitter feeds has been full of stuff about the crunch for this game. I appreciate many don’t care but it’s not good at all.

Drac

I was about to post this, one of my Twitter feeds has been full of stuff about the crunch for this game. I appreciate many don’t care but it’s not good at all.

It is a bit rubbish but many of products come with such back stories, the employer is ultimately is responsible.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

It is a bit rubbish but many of products come with such back stories, the employer is ultimately is responsible.

Your choice to reward the employer for his behaviour.  #youtoo

julians
    Free Member

What’s everyone’s verdict then?

I’m now out of the intro section and into chapter 2, I can’t see it holding my attention for much longer, too slow paced, controls are clumsy.

Graphically and technically its an 11 out of 10,but I’m not sure about the gameplay, perhaps it will get better.

Drac

Your choice to reward the employer for his behaviour.  #youtoo

So tell me what other items do you boycott?

I’m enjoying it Julian it’s not fast paced but it’s not meant to be it’s pretty much a RPG not just a shoot em up. There’s loads to do in the background.

I’m getting use to the controls already.

bob_summers

I’m still on PS3, so idly looking at PS4+RDR2 bundles.

Do I need to spend the extra ton for the Pro?  I’m only going to be playing RDR2 , and I’ll get a 2nd hand copy of GTAV, and that’s it.

Or I’ll just wait for it to get ported to Switch 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Do I need to spend the extra ton for the Pro?  I’m only going to be playing RDR2 , and I’ll get a 2nd hand copy of GTAV, and that’s it.

Nah. Buy a second hand PS4 and you’re good.

julians
    Free Member

it’s pretty much a RPG not just a shoot em up.

Yeah that sums it up pretty well, I have never really liked rpg’s

Drac

As Jamie says you’ll be good with a PS4 although my nephew tells me that he seen some frame rate issues into the big city but not to the point of it being unplayable.

Could be why then Julian.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i wish the main character walked a bit faster

Drac

He can run or use your horse.

P-Jay
    Free Member

What’s everyone’s verdict then?

Ive only just managed to get to chapter 2. Chapter 1  was okay, but felt very restrictive and linear, you’re not really in control, you press X when they say press X and he does stuff, few if any of the other controls work… but it’s just a long training mission coupled with the back story.

Once we made camp and I was free to roam it was like a polished RDR1 which was nice, I hunted for a bit, got into a rumble with a couple of O’Driscals and had a shave.

Its really too early to say, but I’m here and Miss Jay is watching Katie Morag so I might as well chip in.

Things I like:

Graphics.

The environment, it’s basically teeming with life.

Horse riding.

shooting.

Things that will probably end up annoying me.

Seems you can only carry a small amount of stuff, which is a lot more realistic than most games, it’s not really possible for 1 man to carry 9 pistols, 4 shotguns, 12 rifles, 12 petrol bombs, a collection of knives, 50 assorted animal pelts, 500 rounds of ammo, etc etc etc, but I get the feeling that you’re pretty buggered without a horse in this and I’m told once they die, they’re dead so you’ll no doubt spend a long time walking trying to replace it.

How slow he moves on foot, yeah you can run (not in camp which is annoying) but it doesn’t last long, see above, no horse, buggered.

Its very high maintenance, already in one mission I’ve disccoved:

You need to wear weather correct clothing.

You need to wash your horse.

You need to shave.

You need to eat, but just to fix bullet holes, but not to starve.

You need to support the camp and in a few ways.

And it doesn’t seem that these are little details you can do if you wish like in GTA games, you actually need to do them or bad things happen.

Im looking forward to playing again later when Miss Jay goes to bed, but I’m interested to see how much you can do your own thing in between mission of weather you’re tied close to the camp, Ive read you cross the map with your camp as the story progresses, I’m not sure how free you are until it’s done.

julians
    Free Member

You need to shave.

Please tell me that’s wrong and I don’t have to do all that rubbish…..

Drac

Please tell me that’s wrong and I don’t have to do all that rubbish…..

It’s a RPG how you look affects how people react to you.

I get the feeling that you’re pretty buggered without a horse in this and I’m told once they die, they’re dead so you’ll no doubt spend a long time walking trying to replace it.

I’ve 3 horses already, I’ve unlocked some stagecoach points and you can always climb on the train. It’ll be an inconvenience but not a hassle.

julians
    Free Member

It’s a RPG how you look affects how people react to you.

Oh no, didn’t realise it was that much of an rpg. How to ruin a great graphics engine and world!

Oh well,will play some more , and give it a fair go,but I don’t think it’s for me

Drac

How to ruin a great graphics engine and world!

🤔

P-Jay
    Free Member

Grabbed another hour or two this evening.

I wouldn’t worry about the RPG element, unless you’re on a mission it didn’t seems to matter.

Dropped a Buffalo and a coupe of Deer (love a bit of virtual hunting). Murdered a stranger to rob him, had to drop a witness too, sorry pal.

Rode into town with Uncle and some Women from the Camp, bar fight, treated myself to a new hat with the money I stole from the strangers I murdered. Trying to work out how to wash up before Mrs Jay came home and I started dinner.

I think you need to slow down and enjoy it, it’s not GTA on horses.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

So tell me what other items do you boycott?

None that I moan about after buying.

I won’t buy Bonti or Trek post Lance. I try not to buy Spesh. I tend to buy tech only when the old stuff stops working. The rest I tend to think “I bought it, so I have to accept I’m ok with it.” Or I dont buy it. But I don’t buy lots of stuff. Not owned a car for 15 years.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So how does the PS4 Slim compare to the pro…. Winter is coming and I might need something to get into….

I saw the 2nd hand comments but the slim plus 2-3 games is close enough to the used prices to appreciate warranty

TV is currently 720 but max 1080 for  couple of years

Drac

So how does the PS4 Slim compare to the pro…. Winter is coming and I might need something to get into….

Slim will be fine especially with your TV.

Best mission so far is drinking with Lenny.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best mission so far is drinking with Lenny.

Is it as much fun as arguing with a mod?

Drac

No idea.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you sure?

Cougar

PS4 Pro / One X is for 4K gaming. No point unless you have a 4K TV or are planning on getting one.

julians
    Free Member

PS4 Pro / One X is for 4K gaming. No point unless you have a 4K TV or are planning on getting one.

Thats not entirely correct in the case of the one x. Some games (eg Forza horizon 4) on the one x are now offering either 4k at 30fps or 1080p at 60fps. So even if you don’t have a 4k TV it could still be worth getting one if you value a higher frame rate.

Drac

4K TV or are planning on getting one.

Ordered one this am. 😳

Cougar

So even if you don’t have a 4k TV it could still be worth getting one if you value a higher frame rate.

Ah, I didn’t know that. TBH though, if I’ve been ragging around in an X class and haven’t blinked in the last three minutes, I’m not overly looking at frame rates…

mahalo

PS4 here.

not really finding it that engaging tbh, spent most of yesterday hunting for a frickin grizzly that never showed up!! i heard that their pelt is worth a few bob…

in the end i just thought sod it, crack on with a few missions then i got into some awesome gameplay – the jail break one was great fun! and in the saloon with Lenny!  so i do think its gonna grip me eventually, probably when i unlock the ability to fast travel rather than endless galloping about.

I am a bit disappointed that whenever i try and rob people on the highway i seem to come worse off? there appears to be no way of acting inappropriately to women either! i can antagonise men, and shoot them in the face but theres no sexy time! even the lady in the bathhouse doesn’t do ‘extras’.. i also have millions on bounty hunters on my case!

mahalo

Its very high maintenance, already in one mission I’ve disccoved:

You need to shave.

I flinched when i heard about all this too, but so far in aint so bad (started talking like Arthur..) none of that stuff takes any time really, keep fresh clobber on your horse, walk your horse through water, a clean shave lasts for ages, eating is just like pressing a health boost in a any game and supporting the camp unlocks cool perks.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i got on a train the other day, was cool, you uncover loads of map. i have seen that there are some tips on how to move a bit better, chaging the controls so you toggle on run or so rather than button bashing.

I’m struggling with the controls actually. i’ve shot people without wanting too , fist fights have seemed a little bash buttons and hope and so on. i need to basically ignore my job and chidlren and FOCUS

plumber
    Free Member

I don’t play many games

I’m still in training phase – Trian robbery about to happen.

I’m enjoying it so far – very atmospheric

Drac

not really finding it that engaging tbh, spent most of yesterday hunting for a frickin grizzly that never showed up!! i heard that their pelt is worth a few bob…

Did you use the tracking skills and bear bait?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I flinched when i heard about all this too, but so far in aint so bad (started talking like Arthur..) none of that stuff takes any time really, keep fresh clobber on your horse, walk your horse through water, a clean shave lasts for ages, eating is just like pressing a health boost in a any game and supporting the camp unlocks cool perks.

Yeah, it’s not really an issue is it?

I think I’m a bit in love with it, I just wish I had more than the odd hour here and there to play it.

I don’t think it’ll be universally loved like GTA, but neither was RDR. For me it’s all about the the adventure, I read this on another forum.

“finding a guy at the side of a trail trying to reshoe his horse, offering help only to watch him get kicked in the head by his disgruntled horse as i walk over.

I stand there for a minute, somewhat amazed, then decide that as he’s brown bread, I may as well loot the poor schmuck.

Mid-looting, a passer by catches me with my hands in the dead guys breeches, and naturally assumes I’ve killed him and am in the process of killing him.

He decides to run off and tell the authorities, I’m not having that, i was an innocent party!

I run after him, try to reason with him…long story short it descends into a fist fight.

Just as i land the deciding punch, another horse riding passer by witnesses my aggression!

Great I think, here we go again, so i mount my trusty steed and give chase to the would be snitch.

I chase him for a good few in game lengths, well into some built up woodland, then just as I’m thinking I’m not catching this guy, I stumble across him being pulled from his rearing horse by a bear…

I could have saved him; but i decided to watch him get ripped to bits.

Love this game.”

It’s that sort of stuff I like, rather than get annoyed that one job turns into five on the way to do something you have to accept that’s the adventure.

Last night, after drinking with Lenny, I decided to take a bounty on as I was in town anyway. Lady bounty, 3 husbands, never divorced, okay so she offs her Husbands. It’s wanted ‘Alive’ too which is a pain because I’ve seen Django Unchanged and Hateful 8, it always go better if you bring them in dead.

So we (my horse and I) start to plod on down to her last known location, I like to hunt en route to places and drop two deer with the rifle on horse back. Get to a bridge over a deep ravine, on the other side is a bunch of gangsters doing a bunch of gangster shit. They warn me not to cross, I try to reason with them, but they’re not having it. So, long ride around, or light their arses up.

So I’ve taken cover behind a tree and there’s a bit of a fire fight, 3 dead, 1 ran off wounded. Lot the bodies and their coach for loads of food and horse drugs mostly, sweet.

Stunning scenic ride, water crossing, that’ll stop the Nag moaning for a brush, close call with a bear, decide to run off, drop another deer.

Finally find my bounty camping by the riverside, she’s arguing with Husband No4 by the looks of things, well, no messing about, break out the lasso and aim for her. In my haste I’ve lassoed the husband by mistake and she’s running at me like a mad thing with a massive knife and slashes me, at this point the job’s knackered so I switch to the volcanic loaded with high velocity rounds to blow her head off, better to take the failed mission than die yeah? Nope, she’s killed me.

Whole thing took me about an hour, end in failure, still enjoyed the hell out of it, even if I’d managed to capture her and returned her to jail, I wouldn’t have progressed the story one bit.

mahalo

haha yeah those couple of stories make you realise how good it is. just gotta sit back and enjoy it!

i rescued a woman tied to a horse, while she was over my shoulder a passer by grassed me up for kidnapping!! turned into a right old tear up…!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 573 total)

The topic ‘Red Dead Redemption 2’ is closed to new replies.