Home Forums News Readers’ Rides: Ally’s Resurrected Nicolai Saturn 14

• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by a11y.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Readers’ Rides: Ally’s Resurrected Nicolai Saturn 14
    Ben_Haworth

For this edition, Ally Mitchell shares his “resurrected” Nicolai Saturn 14. What made him choose it? “Geometry and sizing mostly”. Bike brand and mode …

By ben_haworth

Get the full story here:

Readers’ Rides: Ally’s Resurrected Nicolai Saturn 14

aphex_2k
    Free Member

That’s lovely. It makes me smile and feel a bit sad as I had a similar spec’d build with a Lynskey Ti frame which I’d put time and effort into before someone stole it.

DickBarton

Agreed, that looks very nice…sort of ‘right’.

a11y

And in purely coincidental timing I sold my Deviate Highlander frame yesterday, which nicely finishes off that little “wobble” I had earlier this year.

honourablegeorge

@a11y – bike looks great – was the cable guide in the third pic (above “Suspension Setup”) stock, or did you get it afterwards?

a11y

@honourablegeorge, came with the bike. Can’t see them on a quick online search, possibly been superceded by the ones that bolt on to the top hole directly above the main pivot: https://www.nicolai-bicycles.com/kabelfuehrung-en

matt_outandabout

I can smell the bluebells in Uni woods in the last pic…

andyspaceman

Thoughtfully specc’ed – the ££ has gone into the right places. Yaris, Spesh tyres and the mid-high-range Shimano kit all offer so much performance for what they cost. I suspect the TRP brakes do too, but I’ve never tried them.

Lovely.

a11y

I can smell the bluebells in Uni woods in the last pic…

Thankfully far enough away from the folk with their funny cigarettes behind the uni halls…

Thoughtfully specc’ed – the ££ has gone into the right places. Yaris, Spesh tyres and the mid-high-range Shimano kit all offer so much performance for what they cost. I suspect the TRP brakes do too, but I’ve never tried them.

To be honest it’s a bit of a mix of bargains vs what I like. Yaris were a ridiculous PSA bargain but  really needed that fancier damper. Spesh tyres work brilliantly and are great VFM. The TRP brakes are superb: I took a chance on them from a PSA and glad I did. And mid-range Shimano is is as good as I need: I always ‘upgrade’ to XT or XTR shifter though for the nicer feel, and I’ve got a spare Deore rear mech for when the SLX saws through it’s cage (apparently they all do that, sir). Fancier GX cassette for the durability. I’d be tempted with 11-sp Linkglide next time though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.