Home Forums Bike Forum Radon Swoop…opinions

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Radon Swoop…opinions
  • gonzy
    Free Member

right so i’m looking to get a new bike next year and have currently got my eye on a giant reign to replace my outgoing one
    but i spotted that YT are now doing the Capra AL for less than £2k with a pretty good spec so i would have also considered that…but then my mate spotted a Radon Swoop yesterday at BPW and got to ride it and now he’s fallen in love with them…and the more i look at the Swoop 10.0 the more i seem to like it…for the price the spec looks very good value

anyone on STW own one or any other Radon to give me an insight into what Radon bikes are like in general?

also this is a bit of a longshot but anyone ridden the Capra and the Swoop and possibly the Reign to be able to provide some sort of comparison between them

there are a couple of north west based authorised Radon dealers/agents so i’m going to get in touch with them to see if they have one in stock that can swing my leg over

thanks

dknwhy

I’ve got last year’s Slide 8.0. All in, I think it cost around £1500 so was very good spec for the money. I like it. Took it to the Alps last summer and a few UK trail centres and it copes well with anything I do on it.
    Had no issues with the bike itself. My particular spec isn’t exactly light. Have got the usual Reverb issue with the dropper post but I haven’t sent it back as the hassle of sending it to Germany puts me off.

andyrm
    Free Member

The Swoop 170 9.9 had a really good “First Ride” review in MBUK last month. Well worth a read.

smett72

I got a Skeen 9.0 last Autumn. As it’s my first full suspension I can’t really comment on how it compares to similar machines, but I’m very happy with it.

gonzy
    Free Member

Have got the usual Reverb issue with the dropper post but I haven’t sent it back as the hassle of sending it to Germany puts me off.

they have uk based service partners who are supposed to be the first point of contact for any issues…more info can be found on the link below

http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/ueber-uns/drei-wege-zu-deinem-radon/

i’m hoping they also stock the bikes too…

v666ern
    Free Member

In familiar STW style, have you looked at the Rose Uncle Jimbo / Granite chief?
    They have a uk manager based in wiltshire, who warrantied my reverb and he’s been excellant to deal with for demo’s etc.
    https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-uncle-jimbo-1-275-2016/aid:817752
    added benefit you can spec it up how you want it sram/shimano etc

gonzy
    Free Member

In familiar STW style, have you looked at the Rose Uncle Jimbo / Granite chief?

thats been suggested tome before and i’ve had a look at it but it doesnt really appeal to me
    i looked at the link and specced the uncle jimbo out as close to the Radon Swoop 10.0 as possible but the price is still a good few hundred quid mor…so on price the Radon wins so it will ultimately boil down to which rides better
    but seeing as theyre both mail order only as is the capra…its a tough decision that could go wrong.
    spending £2k+ on a bike without riding it first and then ending up hating it and selling at a significant loss…me and my mate cant afford to do that

my other choice is the Reign advanced. ok it costs a lot more but i can try one out first to make sure its the right one for me

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Hang on. That’s not right. I’ve looked at Radon slide and swoop vs the granite chief and uncle Jimbo (demoed) and when I spec the Rose bikes how I want them, it’s head and shoulders over the Radon. There is no deviation from the Radon bikes, but the Rose can be changed all ends up. Incidentally, I’ve done this with YT Capra, Giant Trance, Whyte T130 RS and Bird Aeris. The Uncle Jimbo is up there with the last two but ahead of all others.

Go demo. Work out the spec you really could have for £2500 and then make a decision. Suspect the Radon doesn’t figure in the shortlist.

v666ern
    Free Member

Totally with you on buying without riding etc and the looks can be ‘marmite’

if your near Gloucester/FOD or Torquay area (in laws) you can have a ride of my UJ – Im 6′ on an xl if that helps

i did the shortlist thing too and it basically came down to which i liked the look of the most and whose back up didnt scare me and Rose’ has been first class.

gonzy
    Free Member

thanks for the offer v666ern.
    i’d be looking at a small or medium due cos i’m hobbit sized…so the xl may be a bit too big.
    i’ll be in cornwall over the summer so if i get time to catch up with you i wouldnt mind having a look at the bike.

v666ern
    Free Member

No problem PM in my profile

Id speak to Fin the UK rep whose in Westbury Wilts as he has a large demo fleet and was more than happy to bring a large and XL to bristol (ashton court) for me to demo at no cost and with their sponsorship is regularly all around the country.

gonzy
    Free Member

Hang on. That’s not right.

i checked again and the uncle jimbo is still costs more
    the spec for the Radon Swoop 10.0 is as follows:
    Frame Radon Swoop 170
    Fork Fox 36 Float 27,5 Factory, RC2, Kashima, taper
    Rear suspension Fox Float X Factory, Kashima, 216×63
    Travel fork 170mm
    Travel rear suspension 170mm
    Wheelset DT Swiss E1700 Spline, 27.5″, Boost
    Brakes Magura MT5
    Brake discs Magura Storm 203/180mm,
    Crank Race Face Turbine, 30T, 170mm
    Inner bearing Race Face Turbine, BSA
    Shifter Shimano XT SL-M8000
    Rear derailleur Shimano XT RD-M8000-SGS
    Cassette Shimano XT CS-M8000, 11-speed, 11-42
    Chain Shimano XT CN-HG700
    Chain Guide e*thirteen TRS+, ISCG05
    Handlebar Race Face Atlas 35mm, 800mm, 20mm Rise
    Stem Race Face Atlas 35
    Headset FSA No.10 taper
    Grips Ergon GE1
    Seatpost Rock Shox Reverb Stealth 31,6 x 420mm
    Saddle Ergon SME30 EVO
    Tires Continental Trail King SL, 27,5 x 2.4″
    Colour anthracite/red/orange
    Weight 13,95 kg**
    Frame size 16″, 18″, 20″, 22″

total price:2999Euros…which works out to £2281
    http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/bikes-2016/mountainbike/superenduro/swoop-175/swoop-170-100/

the swoop 10.0 is also the second most expensive meodel in the range

but for comparison i went for the basic uncle jimbo 1 model as the second most expensive uncle jimbo in the range does not allow you to spec a fox 36 fork with it

i managed to match pretty much most of the spec with the Radon. the only exceptions was the fork was a 36 talas, the brakes were sram guides as they are 4 pot units like the magura mt5 brakes on the radon, and cranks which i opted for the xt cranks as rose dont spec the raceface turbines
    total cost of this build was 3452 Euros…which works out to £2625
    https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-uncle-jimbo-1-275-2016/aid:817752#24-2gdIU-3DBxz-3DBxw-3DBxx-6yYac-6yYYK-3DBv8-6yYdn-6yYZ8-3DBvg-3ogUN-2gdIk-3DByB-6fdvi-82mII-2gdIo-2gdIp-7RCxE-2gifi-2gifj-63MzE-63MzD-66yxP-66yxQ-66yxR-66yxS-66yxT

this makes the radon on a comparable spec £344 cheaper!!

try it yourself if you dont believe me

Dango
    Free Member

Myself and two other riding mates have bought different versions of the Swoop this year. All of them have had no threadlock to any bolts or screws. Bike Discounts reply: its good practice to use this during assembly but we dont have to. I personally found this out the hard way when a shock pivot fell out. Have been without this part now for 8 days now as I wait for a replacement. I was told that EVERY bolt should be cheched EVERY ride. I would recommend anyone buying on of these great bikes takes it appart as adds some loctite to every fastener before something falls off. Just a heads up.

ade9933
    Free Member

I know a few good & experienced riders on the swoop… they all love it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Radon Swoop…opinions’ is closed to new replies.