Home Forums Bike Forum PSAs that may or may not be amazing enough to warrant their own thread

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 2,750 total)
  • PSAs that may or may not be amazing enough to warrant their own thread
  • chakaping

Except that stigma is all Halfords making. 

Maybe, but buying CRC solves that problem. Instant credibility.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

370s, but I ‘think’ the ratchets are identical to those on other DT Swiss hubs. In which case this is worth it just for the internals as spares. Can’t work out how many teeth they are. Obviously won’t be 54t but 24 would be good.

If it’s the Ratchet-LN one I bought, then it’s not. It’s:
    a) just the freehub, not the ratchet rings, just the alloy shell and bearings.
    b) it’s for a ratchet converted 370, not a 270/350. Although someone suggested they can be made to work with the right combination of ratchet drivers and seals.

Same as it did for Saracen, Voodoo and Carrera?

I think most bike buyers are fickle, they’ll buy whatever MBR name their trailbike of the year. So buying Vitus would be a great move right now as the Escarpe held that accolade. But unless they put the money into developing new high-end models that’s only got a very finite lifecycle. If Halfords were interested in having £2k+ bikes on the shop floor they could do that with far less cost up front just by stocking Trek/Specialized/Scott/Giant. And if they wanted to have their own brand there’s a whole host of defunct ones they could resurect (see Brant’s recent tease about buying the Onza brand for peanuts from the Mooore Large liquidation, for £5k+fees anyone could have owned a “reputable” MTB brand).

thepodge
    Free Member

Those brands only have more kudos because they aren’t Halfords own brand, making them a Halfords own brand doesn’t make sense. Plus Voodoo and Carrera are really popular with everyone except STW members as they are well priced, well speced, high value bikes from a reputable shop… According to the normal person on the street.

chakaping

Same as it did for Saracen, Voodoo and Carrera?

Assuming they bought Chiggle as a going concern, this would be on a totally different level.

It’d be a fundamentally different business.

jkomo

I don’t think Vitus beats Boardman or Voodoo TBH.

mashr

Would it be that much of an improvement over owning Tredz?

chakaping

Would it be that much of an improvement over owning Tredz?

I’d say so. CRC and Wiggle are massively bigger and more slick (new website excepted), with much more market share.

But back to the bargains, nice chain guide for £8 in two of the colours:

Nukeproof Chain Guide ISCG 05 Top Guide | Wiggle

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t think Vitus beats Boardman or Voodoo TBH.

Probably some nuance between individual models in there but to me:
    Vitus – well sorted range from budget hardtails, through the Escarpe being MBR trail bike of the year a couple of years ago to Kyle Strait’s Ramapage bike.
    Boardman – still making really oddly shaped mountain bikes, and the CX pro was the C2W bike of choice back when the limit was £1k. The Adv gravel bike looks good value for money but that’s about as exciting an accolade as their range gets.
    Voodoo – There was the Bizango Pro Carbon launched last year with GX and SID’s for ~£1700, then it disappeared from all their sites leaving jus the Suntour/Judy forked bikes you see on the shop floor.

I’d say so. CRC and Wiggle are massively bigger and more slick (new website excepted), with much more market share.

But wasn’t profitable, so business as usual won’t be the case. Whoever buys CRC I’d hypothesise it’ll either be someone within the industry and it’ll be much smaller operation going forwards consolidated with another business (e.g. just another shopfront for another distributor, or Trendz, etc). Or it’ll be another VC or someone like THG (but not THG) that just specializes in mail order warehouse companies and wants one doing bikes.

martinhutch

just the freehub, not the ratchet rings

Yeah, of course, should have thought about that for more than five seconds. Why would a freehub come with ratchets…?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yeah, of course, should have thought about that for more than five seconds. Why would a freehub come with ratchets…?

Because DT are the only company with the brand clout to be able to charge you separately? I can’t imagine anyone else getting away with it 😂

It worked out for me as I already had a set of ratchet upgraded 370 wheels with an XD hub that I wanted to run an SS kit on.

martinhutch

What, other brands include them with a replacement freehub? I clearly need to change my brand allegiances…

nixie

But wasn’t profitable,

We don’t know that for sure. I’ve heard that it was the only profitable bit of the group (from someone who knows someone in head office).  

I also don’t think Chiggle is a step up from tredz. It’s was normally cheaper but not better. Tredz I’ve always found good, not the fastest but is been clear that an item will take longer and the Comms were good. They are also willing to add items from their suppliers to the site if you are after something (random but of a CK headset was one they added for me).

choppersquad
    Free Member

It’s probably been done but CR have a Lifeline TT-01 magnetic turbo trainer for £9.99 seems a bit of a bargain. Down from £99.99

ogden
    Free Member

It’s probably been done but CR have a Lifeline TT-01 magnetic turbo trainer for £9.99 seems a bit of a bargain. Down from £99.99

Fluid one is £19.99 which is probably worth the extra.

Gribs

If you do decide on a turbo trainer buy one of the cheap yoga mats to put underneath. Folded up with the turbo on top of it, it gives a bit of wobble which makes indoor riding much more comfortable.

https://www.wiggle.com/p/beelite-eco-yoga-mat

wheelsonfire1

Thanks for the PSA on the Turbo. Just ordered a fluid, code didn’t work, couldn’t find anything cheap in stock to bump it up so payed the large item postage- £3.49!! Bargain, my first ever Turbo trainer, if I don’t like it I’ll give it away!

cp

. Just ordered a fluid, code didn’t work, couldn’t find anything cheap in stock to bump it up so payed the large item postage- £3.49!!

You’d have still paid the 3.49 if your order was over the nominal 20 quid threshold as it’s a bulky item.

Anyway, total bargain for a fluid turbo

jonnyboi

You can also get a thru axle adapter for that turbo, might be worth getting to future proof it 

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/lifeline-thru-axle-adaptor-tt-02

christophert21
    Free Member

650b prime carbon gravel wheels back in stock

https://www.wiggle.com/p/prime-orra-650b-carbon-gravel-wheelset

oldfart

On the subject of wheels I was just looking at a pair for my Onza Jackpot. There is stock supposedly coming soon of a Hope Wheelset reduced from £999 to £1 ! 😳😳😳

gs_triumph

christophert21

Free Member

650b prime carbon gravel wheels back in stock

https://www.wiggle.com/p/prime-orra-650b-carbon-gravel-wheelset

And out of stock again…

fathomer

Complete turbo novice, can that fluid turbo be used with Zwift?

jonnyboi

It’s literally right in front of you in the product description.

The Lifeline TT-02 is now in the Zwift classic trainer hardware list. The Zwift team have configured the power curve to Zwift software and so with the addition of a speed and cadence sensor and ANT+ stick you can now ride the trainer on Zwift with improved accuracy. Convert to a smart trainer with a speed and cadence sensor and ANT+ stick then ride your favourite training software programs like Zwift.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Nukeproof Chain Guide ISCG 05 Top Guide £7.99 Copper or purple only

https://www.wiggle.com/p/lifeline-steel-chain-lock   £2

PJay
    Free Member

Wiggle are shifting ANT+ usb adapters for £2.99 if they’re of any use to anyone Zwifting with a PC.

LifeLine ANT+ USB | Wiggle

gravedigger
    Free Member

Halfords had an exclusive deal with Voodoo but hardly put any stock in their shops which was weird as their bikes are designed my a MTB hall of famer FFS.

So what would be the point of buying lesser brands for sale in Halfords ?

They would need to buy the retailer brand instead

desperatebicycle
    didnthurt

I bought a pair of the Kinesis Sector Gravel wheels for my sons mountain bike, I’m now looking for a fast lightweight pair of xc tyres for it.

Has anyone seen any good deals on 27.5 high spec xc race tyres going cheap?

I’ve looked but theres is so many sales on at the moment that it takes a while to sift through the tyres only to find that the ones you fancy have either sold out or are only available in some odd size/colour.

chakaping

Has anyone seen any good deals on 27.5 high spec xc tyres going cheap?

Have a look at Merlin mate: Mountain Bike Tyres | Free Delivery Available | Merlin Cycles

didnthurt

Merlin is one of my favourite shops but nothing jumping out for high spec xc race tyres, plenty of wired bead or OEM spec compounds.

Thanks for the link though.

cookeaa

Wiggle are shifting ANT+ usb adapters for £2.99 if they’re of any use to anyone Zwifting with a PC.

Ordered one last week for a tenner, box turned up wide open with the ANT+ adaptor missing, just had the refund email and re-ordered it for £3 along with the lifeline speed/cadence sensor set for £10 (linky) x2

Could see them having Chain Reaction shops within their branches, instead of Bikehut ones.

I’d see it the other way, Halfords might buy Chiggle, but the main asset Chiggle have is their online retail presence.

Halfords would need to bring capital to clear any remaining debts, and then apply a bit more strategy and management going forward; Figure out what to stock in the aftermath of their going into administration (and what not to), rationalise the product lines to minimise the risk of Chiggle getting into the same position.

But I’d largely keep the online and high-street retail businesses as as possible separate. Keep the BikeHut/Halfords brands separate from the Chiggle ones for both parts, accessories and bikes, maybe share a couple of things? possibly bring Chiggle’s ‘Lifeline’ tools into the bricks and mortar shops if it helps bulk the orders for scale(?) otherwise separate them as much as they can. They actually serve slightly different markets (IMO).

cookeaa

Another bargain (IMO):

would be the Brand-X road bike, Specifically the 8 speed Microshift version because it has a more sensible 11-28 cassette, the Shimano tourney versions is probably fine but a 14-28 cassette sounds silly.

Zero Carbon parts to induce ‘angst’ (probably not the lightest bike ever).

But £200 for a perfectly servicable commuter/trainer/spare road bike makes good sense (IMO)…

See also the Various Vitus ‘Mach 1’ Utility bikes in SS or Nexus Hub gear format, they look pretty good options for town/pub/utility type bikes…

edward2000
    Free Member

Could somebody point me in the direction of a 12 x 142 700c wheel for use on a turbo only? 11 speed freehub :)

chakaping

Those silly cheap carbon wheels just arrived :)

Only the one pair. I’m not a monster.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

https://www.wiggle.com/b/prime?index=n&productTypeAttributes.wheelSizeFacet=700c&sortBy=priceAsc

12/142 rear with shimano HG

just get the prime barouder £59.99 or the more expensive Attaquer £99

@edward2000

Blazin-saddles

Has anyone seen any good deals on 27.5 high spec xc race tyres going cheap?

BikeInn has Vitoria Barzo and Mezcal in 650b for £25ish.

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

Hmm, not impressed with the grip on the Barzos, even allowing for them being a very entry level tyre in my opinion

cp

Interesting, I really rate the barzos for grip with remarkably low rolling resistance, but I guess it depends what you want them for and what your expectation is for the application. It took quite a few rides for the tread to lose the release agent (they were scary on wet tarmac to begin with!), but they’ve been excellent since and spear to be wearing well.

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

@CP. To be fair, I’m not the most experienced off road biker so you may be right. I rode them mainly on wet rooty single-track in the woods I swapped them for maxxi shorty’s front / back and could barely move lol. Now on maxxi high rollers and enjoy the balance. 

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 2,750 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.