Home Forums Bike Forum PSAs that may or may not be amazing enough to warrant their own thread

• This topic has 2,750 replies, 481 voices, and was last updated 34 minutes ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 2,751 total)
  • PSAs that may or may not be amazing enough to warrant their own thread
  • ogden
    Free Member

I cant help but think that Halfords/Tredz buying up DHB, Prime, Nukeproof, Ragley etc would be a absolute no-brainer even if they don’t buy CRC/Wiggle themselves. 

chowsh
    Free Member

Is the OUTLET10 working for anyone on the wheels? I also have a couple of pairs of the defeet dura gloves in XL that would cost more to post back than I paid for them, they are too big for me. Send me a message if you want a pair and I can pop them in the post.

ogden
    Free Member

@chowsh try EXTRA2023

chakaping

Is the OUTLET10 working for anyone on the wheels? 

Did on the carbon gravel 650b ones.

£135/pair feels like theft.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I cant help but think that Halfords/Tredz buying up DHB, Prime, Nukeproof, Ragley etc would be a absolute no-brainer even if they don’t buy CRC/Wiggle themselves. 

only Nukeproof has any clout surely?

pobaker
    Free Member
    hammerandcycle

Free Member

Has anyone gone through the returns process for the mech yet? I’ve been given a return address in France and postage isn’t covered. I thought amazon market place returns had to be UK based addresses. Can’t find anywhere to contact amazon directly just keep going round in circles with a chat bot.

<small class=”bbp-reply-post-date” style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000; font-size: 10px;”>Posted 20 hours ago</small>

I received a pre-paid returns label this morning from them and all the customs forms to attach. To get that I went through the “report a problem” option on the order then sent the seller a message asking for one.
    pobaker
    Free Member

hammerandcycle

Free Member

Has anyone gone through the returns process for the mech yet? I’ve been given a return address in France and postage isn’t covered. I thought amazon market place returns had to be UK based addresses. Can’t find anywhere to contact amazon directly just keep going round in circles with a chat bot.

I received a pre-paid returns label this morning from them and all the customs forms to attach. To get that I went through the “report a problem” option on the order then sent the seller a message asking for one.
    lunge

Just picked up the last of the DHB waterproof running jackets for £10. The codes didn’t work, but for that much money I’m OK with that.

jonba
    Free Member

Do Vitus and dhb still have involvement with sponsorship? Both were doing road/cross to some extent at the national level.

leegee

If anyone is looking for a lightweight full face, Wind Wave are selling Dianese Linea 01 MIPS on eBay for £99.

I have one and it’s superb.

dyna-ti

I got a down jacket from crc that was supposed to have an extra10 discount, but that failed to work. So kind of makes you wonder if they know and are using this as an enticement, but not implementing it.

mark88

I got a down jacket from crc that was supposed to have an extra10 discount, but that failed to work. So kind of makes you wonder if they know and are using this as an enticement, but not implementing it.

From experience I don’t think their website is smart enough for anything like that!

chakaping

Nah, this is a clear case of Hanlon’s razor.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

But replace “stupidity” with “a chaotic fire sale”

nixie

Do Vitus and dhb still have involvement with sponsorship? Both were doing road/cross to some extent at the national level.

I think a uci cross event in dec that they (virus) were the sponsor for got canned. 

steve_b77
    Free Member

The team you’re on about was Spectra Racing, they were sponsored by Wiggle / Vitus until the end of the 22/23 season when the swapped bike supplier to Cannondale, their kit was made by Stolen Goat.

Years ago there was a Wiggle / Honda ladies road team, their kit was DHB.

jonba
    Free Member

The canyon team last year (road) was sponsored by dhb. Thomas Mein ride for them and one of the Tanfields?

a11y

Nukweproof Urchin Youth handlebar, £2.99: https://www.wiggle.com/p/nukeproof-urchin-youth-alloy-handlebars?color=red&mtbHandlebarWidthXRise=700mm+x+25mm

Plenty wide for kids at 700mm. Ony red or blue decals at that price.

hooli

A few items to get you over the free postage mark.

Headset for £2 – https://www.wiggle.com/p/brand-x-integrated-is42-45×45-headset

Frame strap for 99p -https://www.wiggle.com/p/nukeproof-horizon-enduro-strap?color=blackcopper&sizeStandard=Short

Bike wall holder for £2 – https://www.wiggle.com/p/lifeline-wall-mounted-folding-bike-rack

Vice grips for £2 – https://www.wiggle.com/p/lifeline-pro-vice-grips

cleetonator

Local TK Maxx has got bridgedale wool fusion trail socks in for £7 a pair. Worth a check if you’re nearby to a store.

13thfloormonk

You know how you end up wishing for a very specific set of features in a saddle, then find exactly that but massively overpriced? Well Cyclo-Monster are selling the Selle Italia Flite Boost Superflow ‘endurance’ for £99 down from £210 (is £135 at Wiggle). So now only slightly overpriced 🙄

Basically the shape of a Selle Italia Flite Boost (which seems to work very well for me) but with slightly more padding (I had to take my existing Flite Boost off my turbo bike as after about 45 minutes as I was getting some pretty acute pressure points on my sit bones). Am hoping it could be a perfect long summer days/Audax saddle.

Anyway, still expensive but might be a good shout for someone else.

https://www.cyclomonster.com/components/saddles-seat-posts/selle-italia-flite-boost-ti316-superflow-endurance-saddle-in-black__10068?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=SELITA191&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsburBhCIARIsAExmsu5bb8zKSNWNuOmti7pPLgQuveijQXfus2S0rp6rvvcJAXwjPVz0pjoaAl1ZEALw_wcB

pobaker
    Free Member
    pobaker

Free Member

hammerandcycle

Free Member

<small class=”bbp-reply-post-date” style=”box-sizing: border-box; –tw-translate-x: 0; –tw-translate-y: 0; –tw-rotate: 0; –tw-skew-x: 0; –tw-skew-y: 0; –tw-scale-x: 1; –tw-scale-y: 1; –tw-scroll-snap-strictness: proximity; –tw-ring-offset-width: 0px; –tw-ring-offset-color: #fff; –tw-ring-color: rgb(59 130 246 / 0.5); –tw-ring-offset-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-ring-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow: 0 0 #0000; –tw-shadow-colored: 0 0 #0000; font-size: 10px;”>Posted 5 hours ago</small>

another quick update for those who bought the XT mech brake levers from Amazon. I left a 1 star review for the seller on amazon and they since mailed me today saying if I take the review down then they will refund the money without me having to send the brake levers back.
    hammerandcycle
    Free Member

Thanks I’ve left a review. Hopefully won’t have to return the lever as it’s a pain with all the custom forms. Last European return I had to make was with gorewear and the package got stuck in customs for 6 weeks.

andy4d

mlpinto
    Free Member

@cp thanks for the heads up on the prime wheels. They were too good a deal to pass up on even though I couldn’t get the code to work…

didnthurt

Damn! I’m in the market for a lightweight 27.5 wheelset for my 11 year old, he’s going to be racing xc next year and I wanted shift some weight from his Trek. None left now 😞

dyna-ti

The ratchet spanner set from wiggle/crc liquidation sale is sold out. Added to basket and the next day found they were all gone.

But thought to oneself. WTF do I need a set of ratchet spanners for, everything on the bike is allenkey or torx.

Whats next ?? Oh look, a full set of reduced cone spanners. Ideal for a bike wheel with no **** cones.

thenorthwind

Added to basket and the next day found they were all gone

This is [insert deity] telling you you didn’t want it that badly after all. Much like the cone spanners.

tabletop2
    Free Member

Damn which one of you bought the 500lb nukeproof spring I was just about to order

ogden
    Free Member

This is [insert deity] telling you you didn’t want it that badly after all. Much like the cone spanners.

Yeah I had a basket full of stuff that you think “for that price I might as well” that mostly sold out before I got around to ordering, you then realise you didn’t really want it anyway.

lovewookie

had a pair of the level ultimate brakes in my basket, two fronts, but I was plannig to faff with to make a front and rear. £140 for the pair, but today that’s gone up to £190. :-/

lovewookie

https://www.orangebikes.com/shop/components/bike_components/sram_guide_re_brakes

Guide RE brakes for £106 for a pair. seems like a deal

borosilicate
    Free Member

Guide RE brakes for £106 for a pair. seems like a deal

£90 at Tredz. I ordered a pair last month and they came retail boxed with bar clamps included.

rockhopper70

If you go for the sram, be aware that the RE doesn’t have the “bleeding edge” port, whereas the Code R does. If that matters.

frogstomp
    didnthurt

Just spent a few quid at Ribble, GX chains and NX cassettes were a good price. 👍

Shame they don’t have anymore Challenge Baby Limus tyres.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m not sure they do really though?

Nukeproof – known for a few good DH / enduro bikes and some good value pedals.
    Prime – buy some carbon rims and some chosen/bitex/novatec hubs, et voila you have an in house carbon wheel brand.
    Vitus – probably much better than Boardman off-road, but on-road I’d suggest they’re aimed at the same markets.
    DHB – unless you take on the designers/buyers then you’re stuffed at the next product cycle in 6 months time, and like the wheels you could probably build a good value in-house brand relatively quickly/easily just by hiring them directly.
    Ragley – mostly hardtails, which brings up the biggest reason why they wouldn’t be a good fit. Halfords already have (at least) 3 in-house brands selling recognizable bikes. IF they announced tomorrow that Voodoo was making a serious hardtail, Carrera was getting back into serious road bikes, and Banshee was going to make a trail / enduro FS people would be interested and probably buy them. They could hire the right people and do that, they don’t need yet another set of brands.

My guess is if they’re sold it’ll be to some non-cycling business looking to diversify, like Planet-X was last year.

ogden
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon

But most of halfords own brands have a stigma about them don’t they. If Halfords started dishing out own brand carbon wheels by bikehut most wouldn’t touch them but the same people probably wouldn’t hesitate at buying prime stuff. The same goes for their kit vs DHB, Vitus vs Bordman, Ragley vs Voodoo etc etc. All the CRC house brand would appear a step up for Halfords on what the sell now even if they all come from the same factory, and you would question any of them being on tredz 🤷🏻‍♂️

chakaping

Yeah, I think Vitus vs Boardman would be the toughest one to resolve in the road & gravel sphere, both make great bikes at fair prices. But otherwise the Chiggle brands have a bit more prestige. 

I think the main draw for Halfords would be the platform, branding and market position of CRC & Wiggle as indisputable market leaders in cycling retail though. The branding would be sorted out later.

Could see them having Chain Reaction shops within their branches, instead of Bikehut ones.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But most of halfords own brands have a stigma about them don’t they. If Halfords started dishing out own brand carbon wheels by bikehut most wouldn’t touch them but the same people probably wouldn’t hesitate at buying prime stuff. The same goes for their kit vs DHB, Vitus vs Bordman, Ragley vs Voodoo etc etc. All the CRC house brand would appear a step up for Halfords on what the sell now even if they all come from the same factory, and you would question any of them being on tredz

Except that stigma is all Halfords making. If they were interested in running a higher end brand they’ve had plenty of chances over the years. They controlled Saracen for years, and Voodoo is previously Joe Murray’s brand (formerly of Kona during their glory days), Carrera is an Italian roadie brand from the 80’s.

martinhutch

DT Swiss 270 Ratchet Freehub (HG) – £16

370s, but I ‘think’ the ratchets are identical to those on other DT Swiss hubs. In which case this is worth it just for the internals as spares. Can’t work out how many teeth they are. Obviously won’t be 54t but 24 would be good.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 2,751 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.