Home Forums Bike Forum Psa vitus bikes (sentier 27 VR £349

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Psa vitus bikes (sentier 27 VR £349
  • el_boufador

I’ve ordered 2 Vitus bikes over the past couple of months.

First one – for my nephew – basic hardtail (can’t remember the model number) I agreed to skipping PDI. It came packed a lot more tightly in a smaller box. Mostly assembled but still needed some work such as wheels and bars assembling, brakes adjusting, seatpost putting in, tyres inflating etc etc.

Was about 60-90 mins work to finish the build and get it set up properly

Second one (Sommet CRX for me) I wasn’t offered to skip PDI. Came in a much larger box almost fully assembled. Even the wheels were on. All I did was wheel it out of the box and bolt the bars on. Aside for some minor adjustments and part changes for personal preference I could have been out on the trails in 10 mins flat.

ads678

I got the email about skipping PDI, so replied straight away as I’m happy to set it up. Kids have been riding around on bikes that I built (assembled) for them for the past 10 years anyway. I rarely buy full bikes.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

Did your brakes come UK or Euro style @el_boufador ?

Don’t mind assembly but brake bleeding is my least favourite bike job.

el_boufador

Both were set up UK style (right front, left rear)

bri-72

Would be surprised if ship euro style, to me swapping over and bleeding is beyond what most folk would class as basic bike setup. Even though I’ve got the bleed kit I’d rather not have to do that to a new bike. We’ll see what arrives.

Merak

Minimum set up required, set up tubeless. 

Feel like I’ve stolen it for £350.00 

Cheers for the PSA.👌

northshoreniall

Mine arrived yesterday,  not even had chance stick pedals on  it yet 😞

Glad I own a van, need it to dispose of the house-sized box 😁

I suspect it will turn out to not be a donor as planned and be ridden. Thanks again for PSA.

jkomo

Blimey Merak, they’d have sold that bike at full price if they’d used your photo. It looks ace.

rockhopper70

You know that feeling when you’ve  procrastinate over a PSA and missed out.

That’s me right now, thanks Merak.

ashhh

I’ve seen that photo on fleabay Merak! You’ll do alright I think. Mines still not here but ill be keeping it. I was going to buy a whyte 901 which seemed a bargain at 1k Nd the day before i ordered it these came up for 350. Talk about right place right time.

chestrockwell

Oh yeah! Nice mark up.😂

Seems plenty have the same idea or needed a group set. Bargain for sure!

Merak

I’m actually thinking about keeping it now.🤦

I have a mate who bought seven of them!😅

dogthomson

For those that have received their cheap Vitus HTs, when did you order?

We ordered the Sentier VRW for my wife on 6th Jan and still haven’t had a despatch notification.

winston
    Free Member

“I have a mate who bought seven of them!😅”

One for him, his wife and his 5 kids?

If he is selling them on ebay he better watch out for the taxman!

northshoreniall

@dogthomson – I commented on other thread – ordered 5th arrived 15th – upthread someone mentioned February for some deliveries. Can apparently contact and request without PDI, which will expedite delivery.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

I ordered on the 6th (a Rapide rather than a Sentier as they sold out in my size before I pulled the trigger so missed out on a dropper), agreed to skip the PDI last Tuesday and then received the bike this Monday.

Bike came UK brake set-up, gears were indexed nicely, brakes bled, everything that had been assembled had been greased. All I had to do was fit seatpost, stem, bars, front wheel and align the front brake caliper. Remote lockout on the fork might need tinkering with, only ridden the bike for 5 minutes around the block after I’d finished assembling on Monday evening.

ashhh

Mine was ordered on the 5th. Wasn’t offered a non build option so it’s built. Shipped yesterday and now its somewhere with parcelforce.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If anyone want’s to avoid the hassle of Mr HMRC breathing over them or has buyers remorse, I’ll take a Sentier 29 in Large please.

ads678

I ordered on the 6th, it was delivered yesterday. Opted for the no build option and to be honest theres nothing to do apart from take all the wrapping off and the normal put wheels and bars on. Gears might need a slight fiddle, but are just about there, but brakes are UK style so nothing to do there.

Looks nice. I got the cheaper ladies one for my daughter who just needed a bigger bike and isn’t really into MTB so spec doesn’t need to be amazing. It’ll be great for her and at £250 i’m well happy.

I might now used some bits off her old bike for a new DJ/pump track bike!

bri-72

Sentier 29 arrived today. Skipped PDI but as others have said bars and front wheel on was only task. Not checked gears or brakes yet but fine if need a little bike of tinkering. Looks smart, same finish as above in 29er form.  Have already got a not new to me 27.5 version which will be sold and it’s been a decent bike to ride. So this should be nice based on that experience and the new one having better spec. Almost nothing spec wise I’d say in need of upgrade. 

dan30237

For those who’ve received their sentiers, what brakes did they come with? Any initial reviews? I’ve already convinced myself the Clarks will be rubbish, which is probably unfair seeing as I’ve never used them.

bri-72

Shimano here. Mt401? Bikes not left house so can’t comment. Lever a bit longer and more basic feel than Deores and above I’m used to. Can’t say more til used in anger. 

dc1988

29 Sentier came with Shimano brakes. I think the only differences to the written spec was RaceFace cranks and a Nobby Nic rear tyre 

sgn23
    Free Member

My Sentier 29 VR came with Shimano MT410 brakes, not tried them yet but I was hoping for the Clarks as they are 4 pot and don’t have the resin-only rotors like the Shimano.

Deviations from stated spec are Raceface cranks and Nobby Nic rear like above.

ricbikemag

My Sentier 29 came with the Clarks brakes. Rear brake feels fine but the front lever pulls a lot nearer to the bar before it bites. Not ridden it yet though so they’re not bedded-in, so I’ll reserve judgement for now.

Can Clarks brakes be bled with a Shimano bleed kit, if required?

grimep
    Free Member

If you have to return a CRC-Wigg delivery because the bike is damaged, aren’t you now basically a creditor to a company going through the insolvency process, so a tiny creditor at the back of the queue, wondering if you’ll ever see a refund?

ashhh

Sentier vr 27 this morning came with shimano cheapies. Think it’s pot luck which brakes you get. But the clarks are probably no worse than these. Still an absolute bargain!!

wzzzz
    Free Member

If you have to return a CRC-Wigg delivery because the bike is damaged, aren’t you now basically a creditor to a company going through the insolvency process, so a tiny creditor at the back of the queue, wondering if you’ll ever see a refund?

I’ve had refunds for things sent back in the last couple of weeks

My sentier 29 came with nobby nic DD rear, shimano deore crank and clarks 4 pots. Unbelievable bike for £420

_tom_
    Free Member

Whilst I didn’t manage to get one of these in the sale I found a lightly used Sentier 29 VR for a similar price, so I can still sort of join in the bargain fun :) picking it up tomorrow night, my first 29er so excited to see what it’s like.

Was going to build up a Scout 275 also in CRC sale, but this seemed a better deal and doesn’t require me to use all my old worn out parts. Just hope I don’t regret going up to big wheels.

crossed

I’ve finally got around to getting the Sentier VRW that we got for my wife out of it’s box this evening.

Shimano cheapie brakes and Deore 11 speed along with Race Face cranks. I can’t say I’m disappointed at all for the price we paid. In fact, if it were twice the price it would have been a good buy.

Fingers crossed I’ll get some time this weekend to get it built up properly and get it out before the weather turns wet on Monday.

doolie
    Free Member

Sentier 29 vr here, arrived early this week. Magic Mary up front, Nobby Nic rear. Clarks m4 brakes and  dropper post.

It’s a keeper 🙂

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

@merak copperslip is for cars not bicycles ;)

Slathered it everywhere.

zomg

Mine arrived today. I had them build it as I was in no rush and it’s a novelty as I’ve not had someone else build me a non-utility bike in 20 years. I cracked out my torque wrench and blue thread lock and put the bars on, removed an acre of bubble wrap and masking tape, put on my first ever bolt-through front wheel, and fitted some flat pedals for novelty too; then I really struggled to get it out my front door. Coming from 26” bikes the 29er is massive. I don’t think I could get enough heat in the (Clarks) brakes to bed them in properly today. Mine came with Nobby Nic on the back too. The bars feel huge, and the reach fairly short, compared to my usual antique xc weapon. It was fun on the school pickup. It’s too much bike for anything within a couple of hours’ driving of Cambridge. Thanks for the PSA.

jwildcard
    Free Member

It was an amazing bargain for those that went for one but you have summed up exactly why I didn’t pull the trigger on it. I’ve been running mainly 26 late 90s hardtails and got a newer style 27.5 bike a couple of years ago and it was overkill for any of the terrain near me in the east Midlands. I prefer an older lower 26 for more gravel and general use. All the mountain bikes now are very much set up for mountains why I cannot get near. The best place is somewhere like sherwood pines or cannock chase but I prefer to ride out from home. The faster hardtail like the rapide looked more suitable for the local terrain here but never got down to those lows for the nicer forked version unfortunately but was still a bargain at £400 for the other version. I picked up a Jamis highpoint a2 cheap also which was another factor but obviously the vitus deals were much better value.

bruk

My E escarpe arrived today. Went through PDI so just pulled it out the box, attached the bars and pedals and then charged it up. Battery was absolutely flat on arrival so no chance for a spin on it yet.

Plan is to use it to cycle direct from the house more. Just as well as its bloody heavy and I don’t fancy lifting it onto the roof.

ashhh

Not gonna lie….this might be the best 350 I’ve ever spent…..20240118_143505

crumpsbutts
    Free Member

Ridiculous value, I’m very jealous.  Can’t believe I missed it.

breninbeener

@crumpbutts  perhaps i can help! Can you DM me?

Ian

northshoreniall

Shocking, front tyre down when took out of box, pumped up – took out of shed today and flat again.

Outrageous,  after what I paid – turns out valve core was loose 😁

grahamt1980

Question on sizing, I’m looking at a rapide and at 180cm am right on the line for medium or large. How does the sizing come up, anyone got any ideas?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.