Home Forums Bike Forum PSA: Offline OS maps and Ign now included with strava

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • PSA: Offline OS maps and Ign now included with strava
    Ewan
    Free Member

I only noticed this the other day, so I suppose others map not have as well. Fatmap is included in strava subscriptions and it now has a bunch of decent offline mapping – IGN (french OS equiv), OS 25k, and various others. Also projects it in 3D if you want and does a cool gradient shading overlay. App on android at least seems ok.

peekay

I don’t seem to be able to find the OS Map layers in the Strava App.

On Android, with a Strava subscription I can only see the standard, hybrid and satellite layers

Edit- just found that there is a separate Fatmap app. I’ve downloaded, signed in with my Strava account and can now see the OS mapping. Having a play around with it now.

bikesandboots

Is it possible to download the whole country at once or in a couple of steps? Lack of ability to do that made me ditch the OS official app, pain in the arse needing to download before going anywhere new that is remote and out of coverage.

zilog6128

Yeah – slightly confusingly worded but the OS maps are in the FatMap app which you can log into via Strava.

Pretty cool. Will have a play around & see if it’ll allow me to bin off my OA subscription. Massively increases the value of Strava premium if so!

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

Thanks for the reminder. I saw this in an email from strava, downloaded the fatmap app and then ran out of time to play with it, which led to me forgetting that I’d downloaded it! Looks good, I reckon I’ll be making use of that!

zilog6128

Don’t seem to be able to access Strava heat maps from within FatMap which is a shame.

susepic

You Can select to show your Strava rides as Fatmap 3d in your strava preferences.

The Fatmap website is pretty good too, but almost too busy with other rides/activities crowding the map

susepic

Don’t seem to be able to access Strava heat maps from within FatMap which is a shame

It feels as if they are still working on some integration issues, and hopefully we’ll see some good stuff happening in a few months

thenorthwind

Ooh, gamechanger, potentially. I don’t even use Strava, but if premium is comparable to the cost of Outdooractive (haven’t looked) and this Fatmap app is better, it could be worthwhile.

Is it possible to download the whole country at once or in a couple of steps? Lack of ability to do that made me ditch the OS official app, pain in the arse needing to download before going anywhere new that is remote and out of coverage.

This is an issue for me too. Works ok in OA, though I’ve had issues with it. Worked perfectly in Viewranger, obviously 🙄

Ewan
    Free Member

One thing I’ve noted is the offline downloads are quite big (at least OS ones). Suspect they’re using bitmaps and not compressing.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s looks like another excuse to charge more cash but it could replace OS Maps?

The maps respond much quicker than OS own app on my iPhone.

The drawback for me would be that as a family we pay one subscription for OS maps and 3 of us in the family use that one account. We all have separate Strava accounts and it’s only me that’s premium

I did create a test route in Fat Map and saved it. It didn’t appear in my Strava routes though. I would be interested to see how well it integrates to Garmin if I could remember my login details!

didnthurt

Just discovered this today, how come it’s not being advertised more?

13thfloormonk

Thanks for bumping this didn’thurt! I hadn’t seen it first time around.

I’ve always loved OS Maps but had gravitated towards Strava as the heatmaps were just so much more up-to-date and useful than OS.

If I could have the heatmaps overlayed on top of OS then that would be golden 😍

meikle_partans
    Free Member

Fat map has got some powerful functionality. It was recommended to us as Glenmore Lodge because it will do things like display slope gradients and highlight slopes that have avalanche potential. It seems a very useful tool for planning winter missions. The addition of OS maps really adds to that.

fatmap

dander

Nice. I subscribed recently to OS maps, the route creation is so much better than stravas, which does my head in when trying to follow off road paths. Can you create routes in fat map?

DickBarton

Assuming you aren’t told with 15 minutes to spare about going away, surely you’d just plot a rough area in the area you are going and then download it (over WiFi) so it is on the phone?

I do that, but my going away tends to be with plenty notice so it isn’t quite so bad…

didnthurt

When I go hillwalking or cycling a route I’m unsure of, I download a GPX file of the route and use it on GPX Viewer Pro (as a backup to my Garmin bike computer when cycling). My phone has a big battery so am not worried about it going flat mid route.

mark90
    Free Member

If they introduce heat map overlay on OS maps that would be worth a subscription.

I used to do this in Locus maps app until strava prevented the import of heat maps via an api.

The OS maps are still available for free from bing, if you register for a personal api code you can download 10,000 tiles per day or something like that. Can use online or download areas of the OS map, used to able to do be the same with the now blocked heat maps.

noneoftheabove
    Free Member

OS 10k is a free layer on the desktop version of MS Bing maps – you can view it on a phone by switching to desktop, which can be fiddly, but it does have a print option so you can take a paper copy of your route for when everything else goes wrong.

faustus

I’d assume that OS as owners of the mapping, wouldn’t be allowing people to download the entire country offline, for the price of an annual sub or a handful of paper maps. Aside from the huge amount of data it would require, i’m guessing their commercial model (for good or bad) means that to get complete UK mapping has to cost £100s in either physical maps or downloads. Looks like a good addition to strava though.

DrJ

Initial enthusiasm a bit dampened by discovering it takes an absolute chuffin age to download a very small corner of an IGN Spain map. Just me?

Simon

faustus
    Free Member

“I’d assume that OS as owners of the mapping, wouldn’t be allowing people to download the entire country offline, for the price of an annual sub or a handful of paper maps. Aside from the huge amount of data it would require, i’m guessing their commercial model (for good or bad) means that to get complete UK mapping has to cost £100s in either physical maps or downloads. Looks like a good addition to strava though”

Years ago I paid a one off sum, can’t remember how much, maybe a tenner, for the Back Country Navigator app. No idea what BCN pay Ordnance Survey but the app allows me to download as much OS mapping as I like.

Edit: Why are quotes so hard to do!!

peekay

Background: As per earlier in the thread, I no longer have an OS Maps subscription as the OS mapping (along with lots of other similar international mapping) is available for free using FATMAP if you have a Strava subscription.

Development: I’ve recently received an email saying that FATMAP will be discontinued later this year, and the mapping and data that it held will be integrated in to the Strava app.

Anyone else seen or heard anything about this? Imagine how wonderful it would be if you could run Ordnance Survey mapping as the background layer within Strava!

MadBillMcMad

I hope they do move over all the route creation tools. Still a bit wonky but better than the current.

And having OS and IGN mapping is great.

zilog6128

Development: I’ve recently received an email saying that FATMAP will be discontinued later this year, and the mapping and data that it held will be integrated in to the Strava app.

no, not heard about this but it would be awesome, exactly what I’d hoped would happen!

Although what would be great on the map page of the Strava app is if you could optionally turn off all the Stava guff (routes/segments etc) for improved visibility sometimes!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

available for free using FATMAP if you have a Strava subscription.

Trouble with that is our family all use the one subscription to OS Maps on x 3 phones, and laptops etc. Cost £24 a year.

Strava is £55 a year for 1 person, so although its an improvement, its still a pointless improvement IMO.

I use a mixture of Strava Heatmap and OS maps for route planning, must admit I tend to use heat map more. If they can manage to integrate Heatmap on to OS Maps that will be interesting, but still wont stop the family membership to OS maps

Although what would be great on the map page of the Strava app is if you could optionally turn off all the Stava guff (routes/segments etc) for improved visibility sometimes!!

You can !

zilog6128

You can !

🤔

this is what I’m talking about

https://communityhub.strava.com/t5/strava-features-chat/how-do-i-hide-other-people-s-routes/m-p/30393

seems to be an “always on” feature!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If after clicking maps, got to ‘create route’ and that gets rid of everything, just leaves you with heat maps

martinhutch

Bit like the touching and heartfelt ‘Kudos’ message I get from the server every time I log a ride.

zilog6128

If after clicking maps, got to ‘create route’ and that gets rid of everything, just leaves you with heat maps

👍

bikesandboots

Let’s hope this doesn’t turn into another ViewRanger debacle. Buy a good app then shut it down after doing a crap job of adding the features to the buyer’s app.

dashed
    Free Member

Any update on this please? I get a message on FatMap saying it will be turned off on 1st Oct but I still can’t seem to find OS maps in the Strava iOS app – I still only have standard, satellite and hybrid maps.

timidwheeler

I had the following exchange with customer services about two weeks ago.

Will ign and os maps be available after Fatmap closes?

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We have noted your comments about the OS and IGN maps and passed them along to the appropriate team here.

We are moving the FATMAP 3D satellite map to Strava. FATMAP’s 3D maps in the Flyover and 3D images in the feed have already been integrated into Strava, with more coming soon.

Does that mean no?
    Access to OS and IGN which were a big part of my decision to pay for premium. A satellite map is of no real interest I can have that for free on Google.

At the moment we cannot share exactly when individual mapping features will be ready in Strava.

As noted in our previous message, we have shared your feedback with the team and hope to have more information for you in the coming months. We’ll keep you posted.

So no then.

dashed
    Free Member

Thanks – sounds like a no to me as well. One of the main reasons I cancelled my OS subscription. Bugger!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.