Home Forums Bike Forum PSA – now planet x are at it. On One Scandal GX, £500

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • PSA – now planet x are at it. On One Scandal GX, £500
  • cp

GX (except cassette & chain), 35 Golds, Guide G2’s…. Seems pretty tidy to me.

On-One Scandal SRAM GX Mountain Bike

willard

Dammit. That is a bargain, but I really do not need _another_ bike.

airvent
    Free Member

What a strange tyre choice! I’m classing that as a 600 quid bike as there’s no way I wouldn’t be sticking some decent tyres on it day one, but still a good deal for someone.

Not a fan of Guides either but for the price you can’t moan as they still get specced on 3 grand bikes quite often.

coconut
    Free Member

Crikey! what a bargain that is. How are they on the more XC type of rides? A guess at what an XL would weight ? (13kgs ?)

jamesy01
    Free Member

10% off when you sign up for the newsletter

cp

10% off when you sign up for the newsletter

Good shout, the code is WELCOME10.

Delivery is £29.99

andy4d

Shows at £415 not £500 when I click the link. Even better…….

matt_outandabout

Blooming heck.. Very tempted…

Is a Rockshox35 basically a Yari?

GeForceJunky

No the 35 is pretty rubbish. The bushings are half the size of a normal Rockshox fork so wear really quickly and they have a odd secondary air spring assembly so they can use cheap heavy stantions.

alan1977
    Free Member

i reckon 13kg is a dream

intheborders
    Free Member

Crikey! what a bargain that is. How are they on the more XC type of rides? A guess at what an XL would weight ? (13kgs ?)

Did the Badger Divide on mine, camping over 3 days – it’ll do anything.

Be aware, the XL is huge – I’m 6’2″ with long legs on the L.

WildHunter2009

I have a Scandal and its really rather good. Thats an absolutely mad deal. I think Fast do an ‘Up’ damper upgrade for the 35 as well?

finbar
    Free Member

Seat tube angle is a bit retro…

hightensionline

(Some are a) Tough crowd!

That’s a steal. Upgrade to the dropper, add some different 2.5″ tyres and it’s a perfect winter/grotty day trail bike for around £600. Honestly, at that price who’s even remotely arsed about a 35 Gold being low-end?

nixie

Page now 404

kerley
    Free Member

Did seem odd that no other bikes were very discounted apart from just this one. Error somewhere?

chrispoffer

Well boo. Would have been just the job at that price for my 17yo boy.

nixie

It’s back now and still £500

chrispoffer

and…… disappeared again!

nbt

it’ showing as “Scandal GX – £500 – today only ” on the banner, but the page is showing a 404 still

chakaping

Move over Kim Kardashian, Planet X have broken the internet.

infovore

Seat tube angle is a bit retro…

@finbar
    really? 74º at its slackest (because it’s a hardtail, the STA will only get steeper as it sags and then pivots into travel) is retro? A new Solaris is 73.5º at rest, 75º in sag; the Marley 29 everybody was enthusiastic about in the sales thread is 75º. It seems squarely in the ballpark. (About the steepest I’ve seen on a hardtail is 78º on a Stif Squatch, which is definitely a bit more progressive/aggressive in its geo). But the Scandal feels squarely in a ballpark, still.

It may not be up to the minute, but I’d hardly class it as retro, it’s certainly not behind any curves.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I just messaged them

Good Morning

Thanks for your email – I hope your well.

The Offer has now ended – It was a limited time offer and the stock has sold out.

Many Thanks

Sam

finbar
    Free Member

@infovore my bad, I only went on the visual. It looks deceptively slack to my eye, which is probably due to the bend at the bottom of the seat tube. Agree that 74 unsagged sounds fine  for a 29er hardtail.

chestrockwell

Looked when it was still in stock, glad it’s now out of stock. Don’t need it, still would have bought it, just like the Vitus I missed at the weekend!

infovore

@finbar no worries! The design got tweaked a little in that recent run of LTD frames – they straightened out the seattube and added some slightly ugly bracing. It might be they’re describing effective STA (top to BB) rather than actual angle, so YMMV depending on saddle height. Certainly rock that image forward a bit with a rider on it tho…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve had one since the pre-order.

It’s not light, but it’s nice and stiff to pedal (which makes it feel light), but doesn’t beat you up either. It’s a lot nicer than some ‘nice’ steel bikes I’ve ridden and the same weight or lighter (depending on how underbuilt they were or how much Reynolds pixie dust was used).

The 35 is fine, it gets out of it’s depth on REALLY rocky prolonged rough sections. But it’s a hardtail so so does the rear end.

Not sure what the comment about the air spring relates to, mine looks like a bog standard piston in the stanchion arrangement. With the advantage that it can be adjusted without needing to buy a whole new assembly (just cut down the rubber stopper with a Stanley knife). Does seem unreasonably progressive at shorter travels though (It’s a 160mm fork), so worth taking ~10mm of the stopper off, making it 140mm, and getting a more realistic ~125mm travel.

AFAIK you can’t upgrade the damper. The Fast -UP kit never seemed to exist beyond a webpage.

Bushings were super tight to begin with but have bedded in and haven’t given me any issues.

Would I buy one aftermarket, no I’d buy a Z2. But it’s not worth the £££ to upgrade on a hardtail.

damascus
    Free Member

Haters are always going to hate! £500 for a full bike and your complaining 😂 I guess you’ve forgotten about the prices we paid during lockdown. These frames were £700 at one point. Stick a santa cruz lable on it and charge double that.

I’ve done everything on my scandal with a rigid fork. My full suss only comes out in good weather now.

From memory I think my XL frame was 2.2 kg with headset and rear skewer.

If I could only have one bike it would be my scandal.

I’ve owned mine since the first day they were released. It’s battered and bruised but still going strong. I’d buy another if I broke this one.

I’m 6ft3 and the bike is very big. Most people would probably prefer a large. They were originally designed as S, M and L and then they added the XL as the last minute I think. So if your between bikes, size down.

mossman_uk

I got one on the deal 😆

snotrag

These frames were £700 at one point.

To be totally transparent – the original selling price on these frames was £165. With a headset.

(This is still a stonking good deal, but lets be realistic….)

Massive thread here, all the info and measurements you could ever want:https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-new-alliminium-scandal-29er-from-on-one-planet-x/?results=true&form_id=10832303&render_id=0

Good bike, I enjoyed mine.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.