Home Forums Bike Forum PSA Melon Optics, one to avoid.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • PSA Melon Optics, one to avoid.
  • honourablegeorge

I’ve always had personal responses from them, found them really good. I don’t agree with it being a “product issue” as such, just an unlucky combination of head, helmet and glasses – but you should absolutely have the right to return regardless, the “custom” argument holds no weight at all.

Wonder if it;s just a time of year thing and the generic replies are because staff are on holiday, etc (which isn’t an excuse they should still be supporting customers)

I’ve just checked my emails and had marketing emails from individuals at certain times. They might just be auto generated email addresses for marketing purposes, or maybe you can reach an actual person?

Ash-Melon@melonoptics.com – signs off as head of marketing

james-melon@melonoptics.com – signs off as founder

ben.matthews@melonoptic.com – signs off as just Ben

StirlingCrispin

My purchase receipt says:
    If you have any questions, contact us at hello@melonoptics.com or call us at +44 20 8123 9828.

fenderextender
    Free Member

they also fowl the helmet sides

It no yolk.

ajantom

It no yolk

I imagine they’re all a-flutter with the negative comments on this post, let’s hope they’re not cooped up inside trying to sort it out, and that the OP gets and eggcellent outcome.

mert
    Free Member

‘maybe try before you buy next time?’ and ‘They’re pretty common tbf’ now come up and ride in the Lake District rather than heavily ridden trail centres or the tweed valley where on my the last three rides I’ve seen zero other riders.

I have the same issue, number of riders i’ve been within earshot of while out on my own in the last year = zero. (It’s probably only half a dozen in the last 2 years…)

I’d reckon on 75% of my rides i’ve seen no one. And the last set of tyre tracks  on the trail are the ones i laid down the last time i rode it…

IdleJon

maybe try before you buy next time?’ and ‘They’re pretty common tbf’ now come up and ride in the Lake District rather than heavily ridden trail centres or the tweed valley where on my the last three rides I’ve seen zero other riders.
    I have the same issue, number of riders i’ve been within earshot of while out on my own in the last year = zero. (It’s probably only half a dozen in the last 2 years…)

I’d reckon on 75% of my rides i’ve seen no one. And the last set of tyre tracks  on the trail are the ones i laid down the last time i rode it…

Regardless of the number of riders you see on your own rides, it’s not normal* to have to ask other people to try on their apparel/equipment. We all know that’s the reason for the regulations.

*In fact it’s a genuinely risible suggestion.

K

Just imagining stopping someone I don’t know to try on their shorts… In the supermarket.

jkomo

If it’s a custom order, they should say they don’t accept returns.
    Also if it’s a custom order how do you ‘try before you buy’ and since when do you see someone even at BPW and firstly recognise what specs they’ve got, then ask to try them.

monkeyboyjc

I bought some bananaoptic’s from a PSA on here. They rattle with one of my lids but a small piece of 3m rubber tape sorted that. Far, far cheaper that the current crop of ‘brand inflation’ riding glasses / sunglasses on the market.

Anyone else remember the Fau’Oakley Vs Oakley’s thread on here 10+ years ago?

v7fmp

If you are ever at an event that Melon are at, they usually have demo glasses. So you can try them for a few hours, see if they work for you.

I had some Kingpins, which i tried and thankfully didnt clash with my helmet or cause pressure points from the arms, so i bought some.

I dont own them anymore, as it turns out i hate wearing riding glasses… i’d rather blink the mud out from my eyes :D

Sold them on ebay for about a third of what i paid :(

Interested to hear what they come back with, regarding returning the glasses.

mashr

i’d rather blink the mud out from my eyes

I used to feel the same. Now I have a blister in my eye

Alphabet

As I understand it, choosing from a list of options and someone then making or building it to your chosen options is not bespoke. As has been mentioned earlier having your name written/printed/engraved on it or asking for a colour scheme or options which they don’t offer is bespoke.
    I’d have a chat with citizen’s advice and see what they say about returning them for a refund.

mert
    Free Member

i’d rather blink the mud out from my eyes :D

Even the mud and grit that hits at 40-50kph? (Or more?)

bails

I dont own them anymore, as it turns out i hate wearing riding glasses… i’d rather blink the mud out from my eyes :D

Yeah, I got a badly scratched retina from a splinter once (walking past tree surgeons at work), I’m probably OTT now in terms of wearing eye protection but I’d rather that than have that pain again.

iamtheresurrection

mashrFull Member
    i’d rather blink the mud out from my eyes
    I used to feel the same. Now I have a blister in my eye

I spend four hours in the Eye Infirmary yesterday after my front wheel picked up a small stone in the woods and threw it into my eye, an absolutely perfect shot.  Genuinely thought I was in trouble.  Never wept blood from my eye ball before, that was a bit grim (but short lived).

I’ve been pretty lucky.  Thoroughly checked with a microscope, some debris fished out and damage to the membrane.  I have one very sore eye now that should heal.

I’ve fished so much crap out of my eyes over the years because I don’t like wearing them (find goggles okay, but overkill) but I will be buying more glasses this week before I head back out.

tjagain

IMO this tactic (and plenty of other companies do it) is a backlash against the folk who order multiples of stuff to try on then return it costing retailers hugely.  I am all for consumer protection but too many folk abuse this

fathomer

The wife was also planning on buying some goggles from them and didn’t believe what had been posted so emailed them. They confirmed that as they would be ‘custom’ they didn’t offer refunds.

I’m still contemplating them but buying all the individual parts, they come to the same price, you just don’t get a bag for them. Can’t be custom that way.

chakaping

IMO this tactic (and plenty of other companies do it) is a backlash against the folk who order multiples of stuff to try on then return it costing retailers hugely

Goggles and glasses are not an item that won’t fit a lot of people (unlike shoes or clothes), so I would disagree with you there.

It’s just greed/lazinesss/arrogance – or they can’t afford to refund.

mert
    Free Member

They confirmed that as they would be ‘custom’ they didn’t offer refunds.

Except, as per some of the points on the last page, they can’t do that…

fathomer

@mert I appreciate that, I’m just repeating what the email said.

tjagain

chapaking – every return costs them money – and returned items cannot be sold as brand new

fathomer

and returned items cannot be sold as brand new

Why can’t they? I’ve definitely bought stuff that’s clearly been returned by other people due to the way it’s been packaged, folded etc.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.