Home Forums Bike Forum Privateer 141 talk me in or out of it .

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Privateer 141 talk me in or out of it .
  • stevedoc
    Free Member

First world problem that needs addressing in my head . Im very very much tempted to move away from my bigger carbon framed bike and take a chance on a 141 .  Carbon worries have slowed my riding down in the last 24 month as the worry of rock strikes is constantly there . My currant frame has been nowt shy of brilliant but im looking at the 141 with somewhat rose tinted gases . I understand it will be heavier and maybe not as refined but from what ive read its a very good climber and once you have earnt the down  it really does come alive.

Long and short im I letting myself in for a fall  or are the reviews about right ?  At 6-3 id say im on a P4 for sure too

doomanic

Do it. Or don’t.

HTH.

intheborders
    Free Member

Carbon worries have slowed my riding down in the last 24 month as the worry of rock strikes is constantly there 

Seriously?

I don’t give it a second thought, a live somewhere very rocky with an expensive carbon bike – and most of my riding pals also are on carbon frames too.  Save your money, ride your (current) bike.

And if you can’t get your head around it, don’t bother with a flimsy (sic) alloy frame, go steel and get a Cotic.  After 5 years of abuse the downtube of my old Flaremax looks like it’s been battered with a hammer, but no issues whatsoever.

sharkattack

I bought the 141 Ohlins when they discounted it and I’ve been mostly happy with it. Yes it’s porky but it’s a comfortable place to sit so it’s easy to sit and spin without really thinking too hard. On the descents it’s mint. I regularly forget that it’s the shortest travel bike I’ve ever had.

When it landed the chain was too long, all the rubber frame protection was half unpeeled, the cable routing isn’t great. My rear derailleur (as we’ve discussed in the other thread) needed spacing outwards because something is out of spec. It’s also developed a mega creak from somewhere which is yet to be investigated.

My last bike was a Geometron and that really highlights the little differences in ‘refinement’. That thing never made a peep in 4 years of hard riding and all the little details were sorted.

Kibster

If you’re looking at the 141 another, similar, option is the Canyon Spectral FW https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/spectral/29/spectral-29-fw/3359.html?dwvar_3359_pv_rahmenfarbe=WH

HobNob
    Free Member

There are some fairly refined prototypes of the new 161 & 141 floating about, so I’d be wanting a massive discount if I was about to buy a bike that was going to be replaced imminently.

I’ve said this before about Privateer frames, they are pretty rough compared to others, which probably reflects in the price.

The 141 seems like a bit of a pointless bike to me, in the sense that it’s trail bike geometry, but chunky enduro bike weight. 16kg for a 140mm bike is a joke (and that’s not even with a crap spec).

The list of trail bikes I would rather have over a Privateer is significant.

mashr

Carbon worries have slowed my riding down in the last 24 month as the worry of rock strikes is constantly there . My currant frame has been nowt shy of brilliant but im looking at the 141 with somewhat rose tinted gases .

Get a big downtube protector on it if worried. Rock strikes shouldn’t be a raisin to not ride a bike hard these days

diggery
    Free Member

Change if you want to change – that’s why I do it.

But bear in mind carbon is easily repairable so if you like the current bike, just rag it and put the money/time/hassle from changing bikes aside into a repair fund in case any damage is incurred.  I’ve seen them patched up virtually invisible then ridden hard.

I’ve ragged my carbon bike round the Peaks, Lakes and uplift with no issues.  I’ve cracked an aluminium bike before too.

stevedoc
    Free Member

I think for the purpose and the price of the frames Im going to have a punt .  I already have a very similar shorter travel carbon frame to the longer travel one and maybe its time for a change.  The numbers seem right    140r 160f  imho are ideal for the UK and most riding . reviews on here and elsewhere seem glowing so why not.

mrmoofo
    Free Member

HobNobFree Member

The list of trail bikes I would rather have over a Privateer is significant.

Fair enough

Based on?

weeksy

New they’re great value, used they’re incredible value. You can get a 141 for £1600-1900 which is ace value. I find them long, so ride a P2 at 6’0
    I very much enjoy riding my lads and seeing him and Katy getting down blacks on them quickly show me that you don’t actually need more.
    Katy will be riding hers at Dyfi on Fri, she’s at Barry Sidings today hitting steep blacks.

rootes1

There are some fairly refined prototypes of the new 161 & 141 floating about, so I’d be wanting a massive discount if I was about to buy a bike that was going to be replaced imminently.

i thought the same, P4 161 are out of stock, but when asked they said new batch will be to the current design…

stevedoc
    Free Member

I remember reading it on here years ago about less is more . Ive always aired on the side of caution with travel going larger  normally 160 -170 front and 160 rear  but very rarely use all that squash.Yes it helps when you get into trouble  but not often . Over the last 12 months Ive found myself riding the lesser travel bike  .. time for a change I think

mashr

i thought the same, P4 161 are out of stock, but when asked they said new batch will be to the current design…

They are absolutely going to say that right until the moment the new ones land

sharkattack

The 141 seems like a bit of a pointless bike to me, in the sense that it’s trail bike geometry, but chunky enduro bike weight.

You’ve said exactly the same thing on other 141 threads but I don’t know what other trail bikes you’re referring to. The 141 has been out for 3 years, can you name any other 140mm trail bikes older than that which are even comparable in geometry?

All the trail bikes I’ve ridden in the last 5-10 years (Spesh Camber, Trek Fuel, Orange 5 etc.) are all shaped like road bikes in comparison to the 141. It’s in no way a generic trail bike and delivers a wider range of abilities than most.

Once you’re carrying 2 litres of water, a few sarnies and a tool kit the weight is meaningless.

I’m not married to mine, I’ll switch the frame for something else in the next 18 months or so but your criticism is way off the mark. Did someone at Privateer upset you?

intheborders
    Free Member

The 141 has been out for 3 years, can you name any other 140mm trail bikes older than that which are even comparable in geometry?

Cotic Flaremax gen 2, 132mm travel now 5 years old.

singlespeedstu

The 141 has been out for 3 years, can you name any other 140mm trail bikes older than that which are even comparable in geometry?

Geometron G13.
    130mm travel and released at least six years ago.

a11y

Similar to SSS’s post above, Nicolai Saturn 14. 130mm rear with 140mm front and (strangely enough) GeoMetron-a-like sizing/geometry.

A 141 was on my shortlist at one point but I was put off by what I considered a ‘less refined’ finish, which was fair enough given the price. I went secondhand GeoMetron/Nicolai at far lower cost instead.

sharkattack

I wouldn’t put either of those bikes in the generic-trail-bike-geometry category. They’re both outliers, loudly pushing LLS geometry, just like Privateer. In fact it’s their main selling point. My point was that, for some reason, Hobnob seems to think bikes like this are just regular trail bikes and completely unworthy of your consideration because they’re too heavy.

Which is daft. Because if you’ve ever ridden one, you know they do everything quite well. On the alternative ‘regular trail bike’ your teeth will be way over the front axle in the steep descents and your arse will be over the rear axle on the climbs. No matter how lightweight that bike is, I’m not going back.

a11y

if you’ve ever ridden one, you know they do everything quite well. On the alternative ‘regular trail bike’ your teeth will be way over the front axle in the steep descents and your arse will be over the rear axle on the climbs. No matter how lightweight that bike is, I’m not going back.

Totally agree with you on that. Once you’ve gone proper LLS, you don’t go back. You’ve got an Ohlins’d 141? (and previously had a GeoMetron?). I only rode my Tallboy 3 a handful of times after replacing my bigger bike with a G15 – the GeoMetron opened my eyes to how much better things could be.

Anyway, weight. Totally agree. My Saturn 14 is 15.1kg (also, 100g heavier than my BFe MAX with a similar build). I’d not say that’s particularly heavy for a XL-sized alloy trailbike frame with an appropriately robust build. So not far off the 16kg of the 141 and IMO easily accounted for by the price differential.

sharkattack

Yeah I’ve got the Ohlins powered 141 (suspension is mint BTW!) and I had a G16 for 4 years until it was nicked. I bought a Norco Sight with the insurance money which is fun. Modern geometry, lively, poppy etc. But it comes up a bit short for me at 6’2″. The 141 in P4 is a more comfortable place to sit so gets used for longer rides but it’s also wicked for Wharny and local DH, messing about stuff.

Riding the G16 made all of my previously favourite bikes unrideable. My mate had a carbon 29er Stumpjumper which I used to think was beautiful. Not to mention it was a featherweight compared to what I was used to. Another mate had a Bronson which I was also envious of. After a few months on the G16 I couldn’t ride them anymore. It felt like going back to the 90’s.

I’ll end up with a G1 eventually.

halifaxpete

Its all been said but I love mine, climbs well and loves being pointed down steep stuff. Yeah its not the lightest but I couldnt care less about weight TBH, plus they dont feel heavy when you get them moving IMO

stevedoc
    Free Member

Well the frame is in the study , I will get it built and report back  if im not a fan I will re build the Megatower  which a 35lb  isnt the lightest  even with the carbon wheels.       lets see if less is more

sharkattack

Good stuff, I’m interested to hear your feedback. Like I said, mine isn’t a forever bike but I love the way it rides.

plus they dont feel heavy when you get them moving IMO

That’s what I was saying in a nut shell.

I know that I can’t have a modern bike, with everything that makes them so good, and have it weigh the same as my Stumpy Evo from 10 years ago.

Granted you can go lighter than a Privateer but if that’s the bike you want and it’s the right price, the weight should be further down your list of considerations.

Then again, this a forum where people still weigh their bikes and care about the number.

weeksy

Nice, congratulations. What size did you get? I was faffing about on the lads earlier and really happy with sizing. The lls aspect means I’m even worse at wheelies than usual

stevedoc
    Free Member

Im 6-3 and went p4   Im hoping that i dont feel  the bike is to long or the chainstay hinders the pop feel  .. might try to get it built up tomorrow ..

sharkattack

Finally we’ve moved onto the important stuff. I can wheelie my p4 pretty well. Manuals are hard though, I can’t keep it up. Haven’t really put any time in yet though.

The G16 was so much effort to get on the back wheel that I stopped trying. I came from a 26″ hardtail so it was a shock back in 2017. I had to settle for the fact that it was a million times better everywhere else than anything I’d ever ridden.

weeksy

Little sod can wheelie his till the cows come home

godzilla
    Free Member

I picked one up a few months ago, it’s a really great bike, the reviews are very accurate imho, at the current preice they are a steal, the newer frame will be a lot more money, geo is really progressive, it climbs and descends well, they feel more like a short travel enduro bike than a trail bike.

My other bike is carbon and I feel much happier on a raw alloy bike.

joebristol

I’m thinking the 141 is pretty similar to my alloy Transition Sentinel 2022 bar 9mm of extra rear travel. Although you can chuck a £2 travel spacer in the shock and the Sentinel is then 140mm travel.

The sentinel alloy frame has a decent finish, pretty decent cable routing – but it is quite a heavy frame. Noticeably heavier than the Bird Aether 7 alloy frame it replaced.

It pedals well / decends well and I really like it and other than a lighter carbon version of it I’m not sure what I’d replace it with that would be better (although maybe that new Bird AM carbon thing looks like it will be decent).

So if the privateer is similar and your riding has a fair amount of steep tech stuff in it then I think you’ll like it. Mine’s not a rocket uphill (weighs about 35lbs with a coil rear shock / lyriks / mixture of slx, xt and x1 drivetrain / Xm481 wheels on Hope hubs / robust ish tyres – 1150g and 1000g) but you can sit and spin it and it finds epic grip on tech uphills.

HobNob
    Free Member

You’ve said exactly the same thing on other 141 threads but I don’t know what other trail bikes you’re referring to. The 141 has been out for 3 years, can you name any other 140mm trail bikes older than that which are even comparable in geometry?

Why would I be comparing it to 3 year old bikes? I’d be comparing it to other things, right now. Which means it wouldn’t be on the list, not sure why that upsets you so much.

Once you’re carrying 2 litres of water, a few sarnies and a tool kit the weight is meaningless

To you maybe.

My point was that, for some reason, Hobnob seems to think bikes like this are just regular trail bikes and completely unworthy of your consideration because they’re too heavy.

Confused, the geometry is about as regular ‘trail bike’ as most other stuff out there now? It’s just a really heavy regular trail bike. Which is fine, if thats what you want, but the way you are bugging it up is like it’s some sort of weird, category transcending wonder bike. Which, having ridden one it’s not. It’s just a heavy trail bike. Which again, is fine, if that doesn’t bother you.

Me, I’d rather have a lighter, better finished, just as capable bike. Or even better, a really light DC bike with comparable geometry, and an enduro bike, which is still lighter & more agressive geometry.

On the alternative ‘regular trail bike’ your teeth will be way over the front axle in the steep descents and your arse will be over the rear axle on the climbs. No matter how lightweight that bike is, I’m not going back.

I don’t know what these regular trail bikes you have experienced like that are, but I can go & buy some off the shelf trail bikes from some of the biggest bike brands in the world, that are more progressive than a 141 (and a lot lighter).

Not sure why you’ve literally picked up against a couple of comments I’ve made & run down a rabbit hole with them. I don’t like heavy trail bikes, so what? I’m sure there are plenty of people who do. For the same reason some people are attracted to fat people, rather than thin ones, or tall, rather than short. 🙂

godzilla
    Free Member

I have a 2021 carbon Sentinel and the 141 is easily as capable of not more, they both climb similarly, if I could only have one I’d probably pick the 141, I’m taking the Sentinel to Finale in a couple of weeks and was there with the 141 last month I’ll have a good idea which is the better bike in the rough stuff.

mashr

I don’t know what these regular trail bikes you have experienced like that are, but I can go & buy some off the shelf trail bikes from some of the biggest bike brands in the world, that are more progressive than a 141 (and a lot lighter).

Ok, I’ve got no skin in the game (although possibly interested in the 162 when it comes out) – but what bikes are you thinking of here?

sharkattack

Which is fine, if thats what you want, but the way you are bugging it up is like it’s some sort of weird, category transcending wonder bike

I have definitely and deliberately not done this. I’ve listed all the faults in this thread and elsewhere. It’s clearly a cheap, unrefined frame that just does the job at a certain price point.

stevedoc
    Free Member

So its built up with slightly oversized forks  (160) xo groupset and carbon wheelset still coming in a tad over 35lb  thats  3lb over my Megatower v1 with the same build kit .I managed a quiet 10 mile loop inc the same climbs and descents i normally do locally  The longer chainstay makes manualing harder , she still pops up  for wheelies (thats important customer research right there !)   But and I know it shouldnt after reading everyones imput  BUT this thing is a cracking climber , yes its a bit heavy but doesnt ride like it im impressed and thats before I mention the point it down hill bit .  Ok maybe not a refined as a Californian bike brand but %30 the price of a frame ..   perhaps less is more

http://

crownan
    Free Member

My 2 penneth worth; A few months ago I picked up a P2 141 Ohlins (“hardly ridden” and from the lack of any wear anywhere on the bike, even the tyres, I’m inclined to believe it).
    I came off the back of a 2017 Mondraker Dune onto the 141. The Mondraker was no slouch at 160mm all-round, 27.5 and weighing in at 15.5kg. It did everything well and I only changed as it broke. Any who…

The 141 greatly exceeded expectations. I’m a short ass at 172cm so I was sceptical of going full 29er. I was used to 160mm of travel and so going down to 140/150 also made me nervous. And with the 141 being slacker and weighing 1.5kg more (thats right, the 141 Ohlins tips the scales at 17kg), I was worried it would be a dog to pedal around my usual Surrey Hills. But even on the first ride, every worry was blown clean away. It descends like a monster, laps up anything thrown at it and is just as good if not better (deffo smoother) than the Dune. PRs are still coming (Can anyone shout STRAVA?). It climbs just as well as the Dune and I absolutely do not notice the weight difference.

Bloody crackin’ bike.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.