Home Forums Bike Forum Powerspline bottom bracket question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Powerspline bottom bracket question
  • SSS
    Free Member

So my goto bike is a Specialized Rockhopper, for evening and weekend runs/training.

It has a powerspline 68E/73 x 118 fitted. However ive found that they are made of cheese and need replacing often.

The BB is 73mm width on the bike.

the 68E/73×118 is like hens teeth just now.

The 68 x 113 is common as muck. Merlin in fact are selling them for £10 each. Rumour could be that its being phased out.

Question. I know the spindle length will be 5mm shorter (2.5mm) each end. Assume you could use a washer or spacer inside the crank arm hole to ‘pad it out’ to get back near 118mm. Ive measured and there is about 5-6mm between crank and chainstay at the moment. But what about using a 68mm instead of the 68e/73? Will it work? Can it be made to work?

jeffl

Sorry I can’t answer your specific question, but my own personal answer when I had a bike with powerspline cranks and BB, was to replace it with a Shimano crank set. My logic being that I’d save money in the long run due to not needing to replace the BB every 6 months.

matt_outandabout

Another who has replaced two powersplines with Shimano offerings. Much better and more reliable, and not much more to change.

Merlin often do Deore cranks for dafty cheap – like £35

SSS
    Free Member

Yeah, im looking at that just now.

Merlin have the NX DUB 12 speed on offer just now, so would need to change BB to DUB too.

stingmered

Again, DUB far less longevity than Shimano… go with the Japanese big S and be done.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.