Home Forums Chat Forum Portable / extension alexa setup? or other ideas for my Dad’s 80th present

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Portable / extension alexa setup? or other ideas for my Dad’s 80th present
  • nbt

It’s my Dad’s 80th birthday soon and I’m stuck for ideas as to what to get him. He doesn’t want for much, as he already has a tv, phone, tablet, kindle and so on. Some of his friends from his social dancing group are all clubbing together to get him an airfryer which I think is a great idea, but doesn’t help me…

The only thing that’s occurred to me is that he currently listens to streaming radio via a small Echo Dot paired to a cheap (like £10) bluetooth speaker. He uses the bluetooth speaker so that he can take it outdoors when the weather’s nice, but for much of the time it sits in one place, plugged in.

I’m not a tech guru, Dad has way more gadgets than I do, and I don’t use Alexa at all, so I’m not sure whether it’s possible / worthwhile to get something that would be an upgrade on his current setup? To me his current bluetooth speaker sounds cheap and tinny, but I dont think hifi quality is an issue for my dad. Some months I bought a few bluetooth speakers and he was with me when I tested them side by side so I could compare and choose the one to keep for my own use before sending the others back. For me it was obvious that the JBL Flip 5 was hands down better than the others (from Anker) but I honestly don’t think he could tell the difference, so I’m not certain that it’s worth spending a lot on a new bluetooth speaker – not that money is the issue, more the value of spending something for no appreciable difference (for him). I could get him a JBL Flip or something that would pair to the echo dot, but is there an echo speaker that can be used wirelessly?

He doesn’t currently have a soundbar for his TV but I’m not sure it’s worth it, he does watch TV but it’s mostly sport like snooker.

Any other suggestions gratefully received!

johndoh
    Free Member

What sort of budget?

sharkbait
    Free Member
    nbt

> What sort of budget?

Good point, up to about £100 is doable, but there’s no need to spend that much. Noththat I don’t want to spend money, but I don’t want to spend money that will be wasted on him as he won’t see the benefit of an “upgrade”, when we can use it better elsewhere.

PrinceJohn

Recently got my dad a soundbar (not a massively expensive one) & the improvement to the regular telly sound was night & day

scaled
    Free Member

The roam is probably the most annoying Sonos product i own. It doesn’t seem to properly turn off (yes, even when you hold the power button down for ages until it beeps) so when I do want to use the bloody thing it’s flat as a pancake.

franksinatra

If he already likes his Echo why not keep things simple and just get him a battery base. That way he is still using the same device but can just pick it up and carry it outside with him.

dave_h

+1 on the battery base.  We have one of these for our older gen Alexa’s and it’s ace.  The Alexa lives in the unit and the whole thing remains plugged in for normal use then unplug and move when we’re in the garden, etc.

Base

tjagain

JBL bluetooth speakers are incredible sound for the size. By far the best bluetooth speakers I have heard.  Maybe a bit over £100 tho

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.