Home Forums Chat Forum Porsche £500 bangernomics

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 204 total)
  • Porsche £500 bangernomics
    jamesoz

Re the fuel economy, 30mpg isn’t much different to the real world economy of the vans a lot of MTB folk tool about in.
    20mpg towing is pretty good.

RustyNissanPrairie

We used Greta for last weekends bank holiday to tow T@batha to a small campsite, we were the only caravan there along with a few tents. Was nice but the weather was rubbish and didn’t take any pics.

But anyway…….MrsRNP was out today so tinkering time!

I could hear a clicky bearing in the aux belt area.

Replaced the water pump, tensioner and idler pulley. Noise gone👍 Fully flushed cooling system and refilled.

Then turned my attention to the rear….

The reverse parking sensors have never worked and the chrome boot floor/bumper protector had an annoying dent in it. Replacement was sourced from the Porsche breakers for a few quid. Bumper cover removed and trim replaced, parking sensors removed for further fettling tomorrow

Surface rust ground away from two small areas. The corrosion protection is good and there isn’t much rust on the body shell for a 19year old car). The affected areas will be epoxy coated.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I saw a bit of a wheeler dealers yesterday,  one of the ones with Ant,  in America.  The car was a cayenne.  I think you could teach Ant a thing or 6.

RustyNissanPrairie

Update time for anyone interested in running a cheap Cayenne!

I’ve been beaten! I removed the rear bumper, reversing sensors and loom. I checked them with my oscilloscope and found one failed.
    However the voltage seemed a little low at 8.5volts. I removed the PDC module and pulled the circuit board out but it was dry and okay. Reassembled with a replacement sensor but still doesn’t work.
    I’ll get Vagcom at some point and track the fault down properly.

Painted the body underside of the bumper area with Jotun epoxy mastic.

Reassembled then did some towing.

I’ve had a notification set up on eBay for awhile for 18″ Cayenne wheels, these popped up – 958 18″‘s with new Maxxis all terrains (from a bore score broken V8). Got them for £350. Better ride comfort than with the 19’s.

Subframe rust busting next, but unfortunately Greta is having to cover for a few days for my 20 year old Berlingo/Pug Partner daily driver that has shat a CV joint.

RustyNissanPrairie

Another small update and a few photos seeing as mine have disappeared??????…….and nothing much to report! We’ve been caravaning a few times since to various small quiet campsites (no children/clubhouses etc) and they’ve been great.

Car running well but only been used for towing, not done anything to it but it’s just clicked over at 170k so is having an oil change and a prep for an upcoming roadtrip….

Bought a code reader (£160) as the reverse sensors had beaten me, turns out three of them have failed. New ones bought but not fitted yet.

IMG-8882
    IMG-8576
    IMG-8335

RustyNissanPrairie

One of the caravan weekends we were in Yorkshire and noticed this poster in Pickering’s high street which I thought was a good idea.

Repair not replace.

IMG-8883

mert
    Free Member

I miss tangfastics… Can’t get them here.

DickBarton

I miss them as well…I seem to go through packets of them at a fantastic rate!

swdan
    Free Member

I miss them as well…I seem to go through packets of them at a tangfastic rate!

FTFY

CountZero

Not towing it will do ~30mpg, the ~20mpg is two up towing. When it’s not towing it’s parked up – it’s not a daily.

Considering my Yamaha-engined 1.7 Zetec Puma with 130bhp would deliver roughly 33mpg, and about 26-27mpg with my bike on a roof-carrier, the Cayenne seems almost frugal considering its a much bigger car, with a much larger engine, and all of the complexity of a full 4×4 system.

I haven’t seen any of the photos, I can’t work out how to open them, sadly, but I’ve long had a desire for a Cayenne, or even better the Touareg with the V10 TDi, properly fitted with off-road kit, ie good underbody protection, an exoskeleton with off-road light bars, winches, towing hitches, etc.

Of course that requires a significant amount of money, they’re even more complicated than the Porsche, due to the active suspension system amongst other things.
    One can but dream.

Hurrah! Now I can actually see the car, and I have to say that’s a lovely thing, considering it’s age, it stunning! I envy you the skill set to enable you to do all the work yourself, and the facilities to do it, I have neither, but to be able to keep a car going instead of sending it to CoPart is a great thing, the carbon footprint of its manufacture is being spread over a greater and greater timeline, which is all to the good.

mattyfez

Yeah, Hats off to you, I never thought I’d see the words ‘Porche’ and ‘bangernomics’ in the same sentence!

You utter mad man lol!

RustyNissanPrairie

Another engine oil service as it recently clicked over at 170k also PAS fluid change. Fuel tank brimmed with 470mile range showing.

Last minute rusted exhaust heat shield studs ground off and riv nuts fitted with stainless bolts.

Few extra tools, footpump, LR bottle jack, packets of epoxy, cable ties, jump leads, footpump, anchovies, and bottle of coolant stuffed into the space saver and rear storage areas

Recent PSA Nordisk tent packed. Fridge freezer stocked with Bert’s raw food and a few arrival beers.

Sat nav programmed for Fort William, alarm set for 6am……..

IMG-8930
    IMG-8940
    IMG-8941
    IMG-8943
    IMG-8981

ravingdave

What is that tow hitch attachment you have there RNP? looks ideal for our family camping trips where we squeeze 5 people and all gear into an S-Max!!

Have a great trip ?

ravingdave

It shouldn’t be ‘Have a great trip?’ It was a smiley!! Why does this place not work properly?!?!! Haha! Coz I won’t out another emoji in here!!

matt_outandabout

Sat nav programmed for Fort William, alarm set for 6am……..

Was it dark?
    Are you wearing sunglasses?

tthew

I’ve never seen a space saver spare like that. Is it solid?

RustyNissanPrairie

Yep – it’s a Buzzrack, the boot isn’t <i>massive </i>and I have to make sure Bert has enough room so the tent is in one box and cooking gear in the other. If it wasn’t for Bert they’d fit inside Tetris style. Very adjustable, easy to fit and solid when tightened up. I think it’s possibly better and cheaper than the Thule Easybase’s I kept an eye on eBay (Thule no longer make them).

tthewFull Member
    I’ve never seen a space saver spare like that. Is it solid?

It has a collapsible sidewall – there’s a factory fit 12v air compressor to inflate it in the tool kit. It’s never been used which means it might be utter crap and easier to ring the AA?

Currently in Speen Bridge with the PSA Nordisk tent.

IMG-8982
    IMG-8989
    IMG-8990
    IMG-8992
    IMG-8995
    IMG-8994

retrorick

What’s the midge count like? I’m heading in a similar direction soon.

I’ll be comparing my driving statistics as well!

5lab
    Free Member

we achieve a similar thing to the boxes and a custom rack by strapping one of this kind of thing to a standard bike rack (altura strada)

does the trick nicely, packs into a tiny bag when away, didn’t cost an extra £180

RustyNissanPrairie

@retrorick

Midges aren’t great – it’s been raining for a few days up till this afternoon (I didn’t set off till the forecast got better) and it’s a nice still evening. Smidge is working well though.

I did a few full boot redline overtakes of dawdling hire campervans near Glencoe so I don’t think the economy is bad.

verses

we achieve a similar thing to the boxes and a custom rack by strapping one of this kind of thing to a standard bike rack (altura strada)

I’ve done similar with my Thule RideOn 3 rack (like the one below) a few times.  I flip the silver bars which the wheels rest on over so it’s more basket shaped then ratchet strap a couple of Lomo Drybag Holdalls to it.

b33k34

hmm.   Midges and nordisk tent.  While it has mosi netting doors and windows when I used mine there appeared to be no way to properly seal the front corners (where you can let the groundsheet down and have it flat so not a trip hazard).  I’m sure the way they fold up is sufficient for waterproofing but it struck me I’d not want to be anywhere midge-y in it.

RustyNissanPrairie

Back to civilization and a data connection!
    I went from a great campsite at Roy Bridge (Bunroy Park) and a good dog friendly bar/restaurant (The Old Station at Speen Bridge) via the A82 / A87 Great Glen to Skye.

Stayed at Glenbrittle campsite for a few days, amazing place full of hardcore rock climbers and mountain people, beautiful beach and the Cuillin Ridge just behind. Great pizza! Had an early start before it got too hot and did the couple of hour hike up the Loch / tarn. Evening sat on the beach.

Had a little mooch about Skye then went north to Applecross and I’m on the campsite there currently.

I was originally thinking about doing the NC500 but I’d read the negative impact it was having on the locals. That case was made today. Skye has a lot of single track roads with passing places – it works with only a few snarl ups with unconfident drivers. I drove to Applecross up the Bealach na Bà pass and had Billy balls in his massive wheeled Ford Ranger trying to police everyone and people not knowing how to use single road passing spots. I got to Applecross and parked at the heritage centre to have a nosey. The amount of do not shit or light fires here signs makes me not want to add to the negative impact so I’m going to bail out of the NC500 and go inland next.

Car running well – it was designed for these types of  roads/roadtrips. It would be wasted driving round a city centre!

IMG-9002
    IMG-9012
    IMG-9020
    IMG-9027
    IMG-9032
    IMG-9067
    IMG-9109
    IMG-9127
    IMG-9143

retrorick

Good to hear the car is performing to your expectations.

I’ll be aiming for an anti clockwise nc500 soon.

RustyNissanPrairie

@retrorick it’s exceeded my expectations – it was £500 remember (plus a bit of tinkering). Life in the old dog yet (car, Bert and me!)

My previous NC500 grumpiness has subsided! I’m at the Inn@Applecross, had something tasty to eat, got a pint of local lager whilst watching the sunset with a band playing in the background.

It’s like Scotland’s answer to Cafe Mambo Ibiza!

IMG-9165
    IMG-9169

winston
    Free Member

love this thread, both for the sensible approach to keeping a big SUV that had already been manufactured on the road instead of scrapping it and also for the doggo pics. Having been bitten by a dog recently and having had my BiL nearly killed by one today in an over the bars incident, threads like this remind me that dogs are really not the problem, just bad owners. Keep up the good work on both fronts!

RustyNissanPrairie

http://You are a rubbish hunting dog!!! https://youtu.be/zOecymKx8nI

I don’t know how you embed YouTube videos nowadays?‍

fasthaggis

Nice one RNP, you picked a grand week to be up here. ( thumbs up emoji)

RustyNissanPrairie

From Applecross we went to Gairloch and a larger campsite. It was actually really good – set in the dunes with pitches wherever you wanted. If you explored a bit and were okay driving on sand there were some really good Instagram worthy spots. Once again a beautiful beach and great weather.

From there cut across country to Inverness then down the A9 to Aviemore before heading for home as the weather broke.

What an amazing roadtrip!

Just over 1100 miles @25.3mpg. The rural west coast, Bealach Na Ba, and Skye single track roads really hurt the fuel economy due to constantly stop/starting.

Car worked faultlessly – I know it’s a big heavy unloved SUV but doing things like this is where they are in their element. It’s parked up again now.

2 issues

1. It needs cruise control. No idea why you wouldn’t option a car like this without it. Can be Porsche Classic retrofitted for £500 from main dealer but that’s what I paid for the car so need to figure another way of doing it!

2. Has some driveline vibration when it’s been parked overnight. Goes away once it’s done a few miles so I suspect the rear propshaft CV joint is dry/tired. It’s had a prop a few years ago but the cost would indicate it’s an eBay cheapo rather than genuine Porsche (£2200) or OEM (GKN £450). Will be sorted before the  Christmas roadtrip we are starting to formulate.

A few more pics.

IMG-9173
    IMG-9175
    IMG-9178
    IMG-9194
    IMG-9197
    IMG-9203
    IMG-9204
    IMG-9186

timba
    Free Member

Great thread, thanks

Goes away once it’s done a few miles so I suspect the rear propshaft CV joint is dry/tired.

Sierra 4x4s suffered with similar. Front propshaft UJ ran too close to the exhaust

RustyNissanPrairie

Small update – started cleaning up the rear subframe, it was noted on it’s MOT as its bit rusty scabby. Always a fun job with a die grinder and Roloc stripping discs. Needs a bit more work before epoxy coating.

Then this weekend we are away in the caravan again, met up with friends in their camper. Lovely quiet campsite, glorious weather and Bert is happy as always

IMG-9320

IMG-9325

IMG-9391

IMG-9393

IMG-9401

neilnevill
    Free Member

What’s the status of the xc90 now rnp?  Did that get moved on or is it still being worked on?

RustyNissanPrairie

What’s the status of the xc90 now rnp?  Did that get moved on or is it still being worked on?

The Volvo is downstairs in our house but it’s had a bit of a pause due to getting on top of the Porsche and buying & using our caravan. I have just finished rebuilding the XC90’s rear subframe with all new bushes, and the underside of the bodywork is clean and ready for epoxy. I’m hoping to get it finished over the winter, then I can fully get to work on the Porsche.

IMG-6682

neilnevill
    Free Member

Then you can FULLY get to work on the porky! Hahaha! Love it.

5lab
    Free Member

Re cruise control have you tried just plugging in the correct stalk? That works in a lot of cars, failing that it may need a switch changing via a usb lead

RustyNissanPrairie

Then you can FULLY get to work on the porky! Hahaha! Love it.

?

IMG-7083
    IMG-7084

RustyNissanPrairie

Re cruise control have you tried just plugging in the correct stalk? That works in a lot of cars, failing that it may need a switch changing via a usb lead

It needs a stalk (which I can get from my local Porsche breakers) but there’s a cable missing when cruise isn’t optioned that needs to be run from the steering column through the bulkhead and spliced into a loom in the engine bay. It then needs to be enabled with PIWIS Porsche diagnostics software. So it’s doable but not a priority at the moment.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Dropped MrsSB’s car off for a service this morning, they’d parked this outside and I thought of you RNP!

snotrag

Also thought of this recently – theres a tidy looking and reasonably priced early 3.2 manual on Autotrader. Small wheels, steel coil suspension, manual, venerable VR6 engine… prime budget cayenne-ing fodder.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 204 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.