• This topic has 458 replies, 96 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 459 total)
  • PEAKS POOTLE: DECEMBER 1ST, 10AM
  • portlyone

To help with the numbers a nice lady hit me with her car a couple of weeks ago. The pain has subsided to aches but I won’t make this Sunday. Have fun!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

As predicted by someone on here the numbers are dropping fast, by Sunday it’ll be just Pook, Grattan Catalogue Man and Podge!! 😀

thepodge
    Free Member

If it’s just them two I’d drop out too

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Bring lights me thinks 😯

LoveTubs
    Free Member

ASIDE:

Did you know that mini Victoria cake tins cost £15 for one!! EDIT: will cook 16 ‘tiers’…and I’ll be in tears cooking 140 of em. Promises like pie crusts mi ma used to say, but for the above reasons, I’m out.

You’ll have to make to with 3 bags of wine gums ……..

markcurtains
    Free Member

balls, been wanting to go on my first pootle since I met Chris and he told me about them and I can’t make this one either. Out Saturday night with a mate I haven’t seen for ages, won’t be in a fit state. Will probably be hungover too (budum tish)

Have a good one folks

Pook

When did we meet?

Sandwich

There will be carrot cake. Not enough for 70 though. First come first served though.

Bregante

Another cry off chaps. Pook you’re a victim of your own success. 70 riders is a huge amount (even if only 75% turn up) so I’m going to do the decent thing and go to Macc Forest instead!

Have a good un though.

Pook

Right folks, here’s how it’s going to work. Rest assured, it’s not being cancelled – this is just a plea for your help!

I started the Pootles about four years back to establish a properly inclusive ride. Over the years I think we’ve managed that and the Pootles have been fantastic for getting forumites who perhaps were a little nervous about joining a group ride involved and out with others. As a result, and as you can see, the word has spread and we have this mad (but amusingly) massive group ride going on. It gives me a few concerns…

– I can only count to 20 so keeping track of everyone is going to be a nightmare
    – the probability of mechanicals happening has gone through the roof
    – 70 riders trundling past is going to seriously annoy walkers
    – while the route I’ve picked is very hard wearing there’ll still be some impact on the trails

So I ask for your help in a number of ways

– if others of you would like to splinter off and do other routes I can plan some for you happily (the alternative Pootle routes)
    – please be entirely self sufficient with spares and repairs
    – we are going to annoy walkers. Please, smother them with kindness; big smiles, cheery hellos, give them plenty of room and act as an ambassador for mountain biking. If we need to bribe them, share cake!
    – let me get to the bar first when we’ve done!
    – if you know you can comfortably ride a bit quicker – please see the plan below….

For those pootling we’re going to do it slightly differently.

– there will be two groups; fast-Pootle and slow-Pootle. Both groups will still be at Pootle-pace but with the fast-Pootle slightly less pootley than the slow Pootle.
    – fast Pootlers will have a head start. Same route, led by one of the Pootle regulars.
    – depending on how we are doing, we can build in a couple of extra loops – the two groups will be in touch with each other via walkie-talkie so we can coordinate 10-4 roger tango. Basically, the fast group will have an extension if needed

I know I can trust you all to help me out – it’s going to be a laugh I know.

Looking forward to it as always.

buck53

I’d still like to come (for the slow pootle) but my car has just given up the ghost for the 3rd time this month. Anyone from Manchester way heading over with room for one? Happy to give petrol money, will be bringing cake and should be able to provide walkie talkies if necessary.

thepodge
    Free Member

Chris, the megaphone is here, I’ll drop it round before Sunday, I’ll have walkie talkies tomorrow

Whydot

If anyone needs a lift from East Midlands Airport area, shout up, or drop me an email (in profile!)

PaulMc
    Free Member

Chris, I’m not riding this time as it clashes with the climbing club’s annual bogtrot. I do however have a pair of Motorolas if you want them and can meet me at Fairholmes before 9.45. You can return them via Jules. Let me know.

Pook

I think we’re OK now. We have two sets which should do us. Thanks though

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Wifelet has chosen christmas Crafts over me this weekend (if she’s reading this -not really :-P) Edale carpark 10 am, I’m presuming the one next to the station? If so count me in.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Driving from ‘Bratford’ if that helps anyone?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Lift available from Roundhay/North Leeds.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Buck drop me an e-mail but it depends where you live

RustySpanner

We can’t make it – unable to swap shifts.

Not a happy sausage.
    Sorry.

thepodge
    Free Member

Around 790m of climbing for the “mid pootle loop” if my electromap is anything to go by.

Pook

Full pootle routle details tomorrow.

h4muf
    Free Member

I Think there will be no more than 40 folk.

northernatheart
    Free Member

Hello,
    I am in. I have a weekend pass so will be camping nearby and making the most of the Peak District Loop around high peak and tissington, before the inaugural pootle.
    Will stock up on bake wells and cherry cake.
    C

Pook

Lee, we’ll see!

simmy
    Free Member

Put me in for the slow group, my ankle is still swollen after my crash on the road bike last Friday.

I’m not missing the Pootle though, I’ve even got a new Battery for the Car as it was playing up a bit.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m not coming now. Taking the opportunity of a gap in the weather and a day pass to have a ride around Coed-y-Brenin on my own and take in some of North Wales’ finest driving roads there and back 😀

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m still in, definitely plus one, possibly plus two. Will be joining the slow group I think (I’m average downhill, but a wheezing mess uphill) and I shall be bringing a camera.

I might have a walkie talkie if it’s needed?

thepodge
    Free Member

Communications are covered thanks

It’s just stopped leathering it down so I’d expect it to be a bit squelchey on Sunday

flyingmonkeycorps

I would expect nothing less!

buck53

Junkyard, thanks for the offer. YHM

Pook

We can’t have everyone in the slow group by the way.

flyingmonkeycorps

I suppose it’s quite tricky to work out what group you need to go in. Riding with regular buddies I know exactly where I sit in the scheme of things, but that doesn’t really work in a pootle format.

Car park race to decide?

Onzadog
    Free Member

How about everyone lines up and group leaders take it in turns to pick riders.

crazy-legs

I reckon by the time you’ve worked out who’s in what group and got it all sorted it’ll be about 3pm and everyone will be ready to go to the pub.

😉

nbt

There’s a plan in hand for sorting out the groups, too.

Crazy-legs, there’s room in my car if you need a lift?

crazy-legs

Jules, thanks but I’ll ride out there.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone need a lift from j26 m1? (passing through chesterfield).

solarpowered
    Free Member

Unforeseen circumstances I’m afraid…. I’m not going to make it. Gutted. I’m so sorry Pook, I still owe you one & I stick to my word!! You’ll get a nice red with an explanation some time, I promise!

Have an absolutely fabulous time everyone & remember to laugh…. A LOT!!!!! 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

Solarpowered 🙁
    I wanted to check on progress.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 459 total)

The topic ‘PEAKS POOTLE: DECEMBER 1ST, 10AM’ is closed to new replies.