Home Forums Chat Forum Owen Paterson #Torysleaze

• This topic has 736 replies, 136 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 737 total)
  • Owen Paterson #Torysleaze
  • doris5000
    Free Member

His statement is bizarre. Sad about his wife but he’s shamelessly using her memory to deflect from his offences. No dignity whatsoever.

Like Cameron. Whenever anyone challenged him on welfare he dredged up the memory of his disabled son and used him as a human shield, while he accused the people trying to scrutinise his policies of a lack of dignity and humility. The **** ****.

kimbers

I’m sure you’re right, but I just don’t understand how they didn’t see this coming.

Tbf I don’t think anyone guessed as many MPs abstained as actually did, they didn’t have the courage to actually vote against it, so will still be tarred.
    I think it’s just hubris, the government have gor so used to getting away with corruption that they just don’t think it’s an issue

mashr

soundninjauk
    I’m sure you’re right, but I just don’t understand how they didn’t see this coming.

Blinded by their own amazingness

BillMC

They voted for sewage and sleaze. What a slippery lot!

dissonance

They voted for sewage and sleaze

I believe they prefer the terms natural toilets and natural justice.

Klunk
    Free Member

how you would notice in the shit hole that is Wellingborough, and why they repeatedly return Peter Bone as an Mp is beyond me. Run down town with a run down Mp.

Speeder

What IS Paterson worth as an ex-MP though? I’d wager a LOT less than £100k. After all the whole point of these non-execs and consultancy gigs is that they give some kind of access – which has now gone – big time.

lols

dissonance

After all the whole point of these non-execs and consultancy gigs is that they give some kind of access – which has now gone – big time.

I dunno. He still has lots of mates in the tories so can still lobby for them. He will need rewarding for throwing himself on his sword as well and saving Johnson from the embarrassing vote next week.
    Plus if a company drops someone as soon as they become useless then other people will be less likely to sign up to shill for them or at least charge far more to begin with.
    So I suspect he will still be getting paid to shill. At least he doesnt get our cash at the same time.

kelvin

That vandalism is sad and unnecessary. If they’d had the courage to hold a banner there as part of a protest, then I’d shake their hand… but what’s the point of attacking the office? It’s an empty and cowardly gesture.

kelvin

What IS Paterson worth as an ex-MP though?

Isn’t most money for access an ex-mp thing? Being put on boards or paid as consultants, either as thank yous or for ongoing connections to people still in Parliament (or preferably in government).

Blackflag
    Free Member

He’s quit (or taken a shove from within).

MSP

That vandalism is sad and unnecessary. If they’d had the courage to hold a banner there as part of a protest, then I’d shake their hand… but what’s the point of attacking the office? It’s an empty and cowardly gesture.

His staff probably did it so they can play the victim card, just as Patterson has in his resignation.

kelvin

If Paterson has quit after Johnson asking him, I suspect that the favour owing will make him pretty valuable in terms of access as an ex-MP.

footflaps

His staff probably did it so they can play the victim card, just as Patterson has in his resignation.

Episode 1 or 2 of the first series of the US House of Cards, Douglas Stamper throws a brick through Underwoods window IIRC.

convert

Not that I’m not glad they have been humiliated into a U turn or that the festering pocket lining turd of a MP that is Patterson has had a new hole very publicly torn (who would have noticed his suspension outside of the political bubble if it had just gone through – he’ll now end his days being known for just one thing) but…….

Can you have a government parliamentary vote passed and then less than 24 hours later basically say “Sorrry, we didn’t think it through. As you were – forget I ever said that”? Don’t you have to do the thing that you got parliament to vote on if it gets a majority and is passed? Or was the vote just for shits and giggles?

footflaps

Isn’t most money for access an ex-mp thing? Being put on boards or paid as consultants, either as thank yous or for ongoing connections to people still in Parliament (or preferably in government).

Possibly senior ones eg ex cabinet members etc, but for averge back benchers, I can’t see they have any value out of office.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Wonder if he’ll give the £100k back lol

kelvin

for averge back benchers

You mean the strident eurosceptics who the PM owes for forcing out May and helping him become leader?

nickc

The government of the day pretty much gets to decide on what parliament’s business is going to be, so if they want to, they can ignore the vote they had yesterday and now that Patterson has resigned, rubber stamp to committee on standards report that found him guilty of taking bribes.

As Cummings points out this is all a devise to try to get Katheryn Stone to resign so that Johnson doesn’t have to answer difficult questions about his own corruption. He’ll have to think of a different way to get rid of her now I suppose

pandhandj
    Free Member

@kelvin

I’ve always liked political graffiti

slowoldman

Or was the vote just for shits and giggles?

Yes it was just advisory!

tthew

From what they were saying on the radio on my way home, and as I asked the same question earlier, they’ve not u-turned on the question of reviewing process, just letting Paterson off.

Tory **** was blaming Labour for conflating the two issues! They are totally without morals.

kelvin

At last… a Monty Python clip… and a cold stone classic!

kelvin

blaming Labour for conflating the two issues!

Where they challenged, or was that lie allowed to enter the ears of viewers as if it was truth… because… balance.

tthew

Where the challenged

Sadly not that point, because there was so much other bullshit to call out there just wasn’t the chance to get that one in. 😒

poly
    Free Member

I don’t really understand why he isn’t facing prosecution.

By-election will be interesting (though it’s a very safe Tory seat).

If there’s a local centre-right leaning person ideally with either local profile or national “celebrity” status that wants to get into politics as an independent this would be the ideal opportunity. I think the right “anti-sleeze” candidate standing there could take the seat even with that majority – Martin Bell style. I think there’s more chance of the other parties stepping aside for an independent than them creating a pact.

igm

That vandalism is sad and unnecessary.

Vandalism? I thought that was the Tories new slogan and central office we’re getting it painted on all the constituency offices.

nickc

Randox probably thinking they couldn’t buy this sort of publicity…oh no wait…

binners

Once again Johnson has torched a lot of political capital on someone who ended up resigning anyway

Hardly surprising given his own casual attitude to corruption

dazh

That vandalism is sad and unnecessary.

It’s really not. Considering what the tories have done to millions of people in the last 11 years I’m surprised there are any constituency offices or conservative clubs left standing. Had they all been burnt down by an angry mob then you can bet Johnson, Rees Mogg and the rest of the pig-f*****s wouldn’t be so brazenly self-serving and indifferent. It’ll never happen though, which is a shame. I guess people in this country have bought into the myth that they deserve to be shat upon by their supposed superiors.

grum
    Free Member

So he’s resigned now, but with the most pompous statement possible for someone found to be corrupt.

And now apparently he doesn’t want his wife’s suicide to be used as a political football, even though it was fine for him to blame her death on the enquiry. What an absolutely shameful omnishambles the whole thing is.

davros

I think saying natural justice too many times has come back to haunt him.

a11y

Corrupt

Useless

Numpty

Twunts

scuttler

I hope this **** keeps burning until he crashes into whatever he ends up crashing into.

I hope that dozy blond **** also burns.

One glimmer of hope is my local Tory MP abstained because he objected to the way the Gov had gone about trying to reform the process. He qualified his abstention that he thinks it needs some reformation and he trotted out the line about the current process being unfit because of the two years it took to sort this out (yeah yeah dude turns out that was all Patterson’s doing), but at the end of the day he had the bollock to abstain (voting no would have taken both bollocks).

gecko76

Just to say I laughed and laughed and laughed when I saw he’d resigned this afternoon. And then laughed some more. Who says politics can’t be fun.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It’s really not. Considering what the tories have done to millions of people in the last 11 years I’m surprised there are any constituency offices or conservative clubs left standing. Had they all been burnt down by an angry mob then you can bet Johnson, Rees Mogg and the rest of the pig-f*****s wouldn’t be so brazenly self-serving and indifferent. It’ll never happen though, which is a shame. I guess people in this country have bought into the myth that they deserve to be shat upon by their supposed superiors.

Or people don’t believe in violent mob rule,

I notice you haven’t tried to burn down any MP’s offices, have you bought into the “myth”?

frankconway

When Paterson’s wife committed suicude there was no suggestion that allegations against him were a possible contributory factor.
    Coroner stated at the inquest she had a history of anxiety and depression.
    How convenient for and sleazy of Paterson to claim that the enquiry was a factor in his wife’s suicide.
    Tory opportunism at it’s finest.

kimbers

Patterson resigns Scott free with a juicy pension and plenty of grubby directorships to look forward to

Its starting to feel a lot like Russia

kelvin

How convenient for and sleazy of Paterson to claim that the enquiry was a factor in his wife’s suicide.
    Tory opportunism at it’s finest.

And the enquiry was delayed, at his request, because of his loss. And then the Leader of The House made the claim that the enquiry taking too long was grounds for ignoring it and reforming the process. A genuinely nasty insincere evil disingenuous well educated shit.

kelvin

Read that FT piece tonight, before the paywall is turned back on. FT is free to read today.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 737 total)

The topic ‘Owen Paterson #Torysleaze’ is closed to new replies.