Home Forums Chat Forum Owen Paterson #Torysleaze

• This topic has 736 replies, 136 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 737 total)
  • Owen Paterson #Torysleaze
  • BillMC

Peter Oborne on Twitter saw it as ‘Johnson’s Black Wednesday and no turning back’. Interesting.

bridges
    Free Member

Why do some people have an obsession with Corbyn?

Because someone told them to.

Edited to add What was Jeremy Corbyn’s excuse for not turning up ?

Given how much he’s been paid over the years for his rent-a-gob performances on Russia Today and Iranian state TV, he was probably thinking of pots and kettles

:D Delicious.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2021/nov/04/how-did-your-mp-vote-on-the-owen-paterson-case

So; Corbyn voted against. Are we allowed to mention that Margaret Beckett, Ed Milliband and KIER STARMER didn’t vote/abstained? Or does that not fit the narrative?

tthew

Hmm, there’s an echo in here, I pointed that out an hour ago!

Also, Starmer wasn’t in because he was Covid isolating, that’s why he didn’t vote. Not unreasonably.

bridges
    Free Member

Right. How very convenient. Hasn’t he been isolating for the last 18 months or so? :D

Funny how none of those questioning Corbyn’s vote did the same regarding Starmer. Almost as if they’re blinded by their zealotry…

kimbers

and KIER STARMER didn’t vote/abstained? Or does that not fit the narrative?

Are you trying to make yourself look daft?

Anyway
    Paterson, Leadsome, Mogg, Kwarteng as well as Johnson have all covered themselves in shit on this

I’d like to think it will open up peoples eyes to just how corrupt the present tory party is, but I won’t hold my breath

bridges
    Free Member

Are you trying to make yourself look daft?

No, but you are, obviously.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Paterson has now stepped down as an MP

dissonance

Well he has resigned now.
    I am guessing he will be rewarded in a few months for going and avoiding that awkward follow up vote.

richmtb

Yet more grist for the Tory sleaze mill

goldsmith-family-funded-boris-johnsons-marbella-holiday

davros

Glorious 🤣

Now he can earn some real money without all those pesky rules getting in the way.

ransos
    Free Member

Far more likely she’s simplifying or using shorthand to get something a bit more involved and technical across to us. Or even more likely, given nobody has linked to it, she actually said something completely different.

Yeah, well we can’t have you admitting you got it wrong, now can we.

ratherbeintobago

I don’t really understand why he isn’t facing prosecution.

By-election will be interesting (though it’s a very safe Tory seat).

roadworrier

Twitter – Owen Paterson to resign

Apparently, the cruel world of politics is too much?

Yeah, that £300k per year is tough, especially when your peers manage to get by on £85k.

What a coward. Can’t even face up to his misdemeanours.

Klunk
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash

Stepping down avoids another vote in Parliament, shame.

bazzer
    Free Member

I’d like to think it will open up peoples eyes to just how corrupt the present tory party is, but I won’t hold my breath

Great this is the right and on the left we have useless and ineffectual, we are doomed :-)

I am not one of those people who thinks all politicians are useless or corrupt far from it. I do really think some do want what’s best for the people. I also think these exist on both sides. However the current flavour of politics makes it almost impossible for them to actually make any difference.

mashr

By-election will be interesting (though it’s a very safe Tory seat).

Tory landslide then

Klunk
    Free Member

Just how inept does a government with an 80 seat majority need to be to get in such a mess over this!?

MoreCashThanDash

Just how inept does a government with an 80 seat majority need to be to get in such a mess over this!?

Ridiculously

dissonance

I think the majority was the problem here. If it had been tighter those torys who thought it was nuts might have been listened to. As it was though they charged ahead knowing they would win the vote but failing to think about what would happen next.

MoreCashThanDash

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely

tomd
    Free Member

I love the quote “a life outside of the cruel world of politics”.

A cruel world where you can earn £100k for a few days work.

joepud
    Free Member

I love the quote “a life outside of the cruel world of politics”.

A cruel world where you can earn £100k for a few days work.

Exactly imaging living that life. The horror! I did laugh when I read it. I would say hes in for a shock but im sure one of his mates will give him some easy board role where he just turns up “networks” then goes home and gets paid a fortune. Still one less tory can only be a good thing.

slowoldman

Rarely when I get home from a bike ride am I greeted by such good news. Not only has the cheat resigned but slimey git Mees-Rogg has had to announce a U-Turn. I think I’ll have a brandy.

footflaps

I think it’s because they have such a great majority they feel invulnerable and just totally overstep the mark without realising the backlash.

It’s like a third rate soap opera, almost unbelievable.

Exactly imaging living that life.

Yep, utterly barking mad, how he can paint himself as a victim for getting caught with his hand in the till.

csb
    Free Member

His statement is bizarre. Sad about his wife but he’s shamelessly using her memory to deflect from his offences. No dignity whatsoever.

jag61

Well that worked out quite well then im guessing a like for like replacement tho
    did anyone else have the misfortune to hear the interview with kwarteng on R4 this am? good job it was radio as he could NOT have ben keeping a straight face… “we are 100% committed to probity and honesty in public life” also all fingers crossed Not trustworthy one among them .

footflaps

“we are 100% committed to probity and honesty in public life”

But only for opposition MPs….

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Interesting to see if libdems and Labour will work together to just put one candidate forward.

Ha ha ha. WTF am I thinking. Lols. As if Labour would ever do anything that takes them closer to being s credible opposition.

binners

I’ve actually a grudging admiration for the sheer front of him. Trousering half a million quid in dodgy backhanders, then playing the victim when you get caught

footflaps

As if Labour would ever do anything that takes them closer to being s credible opposition.

Quite!

Winning elections is something dispicable that only the Tories would do….

footflaps

I’ve actually a grudging admiration for the sheer front of him. Trousering half a million quid in dodgy backhanders, then playing the victim when you get caught

Have you thought about standing as a Tory MP?

Klunk
    Free Member

Interesting to see if libdems and Labour will work together to just put one candidate forward.

Ha ha ha. WTF am I thinking. Lols. As if Labour would ever do anything that takes them closer to being s credible opposition.

labour were second place so why would they ? even if they did the tories would still get twice as many votes

thegeneralist
    Free Member

labour were second place so why would they ? even if they did the tories would still get twice as many votes

Exactly. An honourable second place is far better (comrade)

🙄

imnotverygood

They need to do a Martin Bell type thing

Klunk
    Free Member

They need to do a Martin Bell type thing

it needs a Farage to split the brexit vote

Klunk
    Free Member

pre brexit Conservative Owen Paterson 27,041 51.5 ±0.0
    post brexit Conservative Owen Paterson 35,444 62.7 +2.2

Klunk
    Free Member

a single “anti” might have been viable in 2015

Conservative Owen Paterson 27,041 51.5 ±0.0
    Labour Graeme Currie 10,457 19.9 +1.8
    UKIP Andrea Allen[12] 9,262 17.6 +12.9
    Liberal Democrats Tom Thornhill 3,184 6.0 -14.9
    Green Duncan Kerr 2,575 4.9 -3.

soundninjauk

I think it’s because they have such a great majority they feel invulnerable and just totally overstep the mark without realising the backlash.

I’m sure you’re right, but I just don’t understand how they didn’t see this coming.

kimbers

How long before he oozes his way into the Lords?
    I wonder if that’s what Johnson promised him or if Paterson just slowly realised that Johnson was using him to engineer a takedown of the standards commissioner?

I suppose we’ll learn from the way his mates in the rw press start opining

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 737 total)

The topic ‘Owen Paterson #Torysleaze’ is closed to new replies.