Home Forums Chat Forum Owen Paterson #Torysleaze

• This topic has 736 replies, 136 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 737 total)
  • Owen Paterson #Torysleaze
  • crazy-legs

A few years ago we had to ask one of our suppliers to stop sending us [check’s google] 35pence desk calendars each year, as it fell foul of our bribery and corruption policy.

If I were found to accept so much as a bottle of whisky I’d be out the door faster than I knew what was happening. So how in the name of the Baby James Brown can he claim a HUNDRED flipping thousand pounds for favours is not blatant bribary?!

One of our suppliers sent us a box of chocolates one Christmas – nothing special, just a tin of Roses or similar.
    It got put into the staff kitchen with a note, “help yourself”

It then took up an entire page on the Gifts & Hospitality Register and got reported to both our external Scrutiny Committee and the Audit & Governance Committee. Both decided that this was relatively normal protocol, the supplier was being nice / not seeking to gain any favours, no individual member of staff had benefited etc. That was for a £5 tin of Roses.

And then you look at the utter contempt that the Government have, the blatant corruption, favours for mates, lobbying and just wonder why you bother.

blitz

Absolute shameless bastards

kelvin

binners

As predicted mine voted with the government, spineless shit

As did mine. But then James ‘2 Jobs’ Daly is still banking his councillors expenses, despite him not doing a days work as a councillor since he was elected an MP, so I’d expect nothing less

Corrupt as ****!

drnosh
    Free Member

Patterson appears to have no shame in any of this, and even has the cheek to accuse the comittee in part of his wifes suicide due to the pressures of the enquiry.

More like he knew that he had breached the rules, and the pressure was on him to make up the various excuses in order to try to wriggle out of it.

argee

With a bit of thought this could have been a different outcome, from the numbers, 42 Labour and SNP MP’s were absent, if you had got 60% of them in for the vote it would have been the other way, then again there were over 100 tory MPs who avoided the vote as well, but probably more for image than actual belief!

Northwind

davros

Just to add, the actual punishment of suspension for 30 days seems like getting off lightly.

Yep, that makes it extra galling I think- the fact that they’re doing all this to dodge such trivial consequences.

Remind anyone else of when Michael Gove accidentally broke covid rules- that hadn’t yet been introduced- and so they changed covid policy for the entire country just so that Gove wouldn’t be very mildly embarassed?

chrismac

I can’t really think of a job where you wouldn’t be in serious shite for a proven case of corruption, other than an MP, where you get to be judge and jury on yourself

there to end of the medical profession is pretty close. Consultants with side jobs doing ‘research’ with suppliers for products they then use. The gmc is doctors regulating doctors hence why no one ever gets punished

jaminb
    Free Member

How about a boycott of the firms who payed his fees? They must have known it was wrong and I would think they could be considered equally guilty under bribery and corruption legislation.

I am sure Led By Donkey’s could do a better shaming campaign than me.

Lynn’s Country Foods Ltd
    Lynn’s Country Foods Ltd. processes and distributes food products. The Company offers pork and artisan sausages to retailers such as shops and restaurants.
    How about a boycott of the clients?
    SECTOR
    Consumer Staples
    INDUSTRY
    Retail & Wholesale – Staples
    SUB-INDUSTRY
    Wholesale – Consumer Staples
    INCORPORATED
    02/16/1987
    ADDRESS
    Finnebrogue Estate 23 Finnebrogue Rd Downpatrick, BT30 9AB United Kingdom
    PHONE
    44-2844-617-525
    WEBSITE
    http://www.finnebrogue.com

Not sure there is anyway of avoiding

Home

big_n_daft
    Free Member

there to end of the medical profession is pretty close.

Most regulating professional bodies are the same

I think the outcry will have an impact, Boris won’t like the optics and will change direction.

Ambitious journalists will be looking very hard for other MPs crossing the line

pictonroad

I’m self aware enough to realise that the life I lead and friends I choose means I live in a ‘left’ leaning world.

I’m completely open to hearing from someone who votes Conservative. What do you make of this issue?

I’m not judging, I’m genuinely interested how this plays out to Tory voters.

kelvin

Ambitious journalists will be looking very hard for other MPs crossing the line

VIP queue for MPs to get their “contacts” pandemic related contracts ahead of more qualified, proven, cheaper alternatives. The line has been moved. MPs no longer have to worry about crossing it. What was corruption is now just how things are done.

Riksbar

With a bit of thought this could have been a different outcome, from the numbers, 42 Labour and SNP MP’s were absent, if you had got 60% of them in for the vote it would have been the other way, then again there were over 100 tory MPs who avoided the vote as well, but probably more for image than actual belief!

I believe a lot of the opposition MPs who missed the vote were isolating, at COP26 or away for pre planned reasons which meant that they were paired with a government MP who also could not vote. The number of Toraidh MPs who missed the vote is exaggerated by this and even with everyone voting it would not have been defeated.

But this is a travesty of democracy.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

they just view us all with such utter contempt that they just don’t care.

Agreed. But then we ( the electorate as a whole) deserve to be viewed with utter contempt. That’s the sad reality of the situation.

MoreCashThanDash

But then we ( the electorate as a whole) deserve to be viewed with utter contempt.

I’m not sure I do, as a member of the electorate.

kimbers

Nice to see the daily mail lite isn’t impressed

plus-one

Politician in being a c**t scandal !! Who’d have thought 🙄

Riksbar

This is the Chair of the Standards Committee speaking to parliament explaining their decisions.

Well worth watching

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Nice to see the daily mail lite isn’t impressed

Boris isn’t daft, if even the Daily Mail is upset about this and using the “s” word then I would expect a change in direction.

Based on the Guardian he hasn’t got much of a defence, the suicide of his wife is a tragedy but wouldn’t get anyone off in front of a judge. If we are to have standards in public life they need to be high ones, I’m more surprised he only got a 30 day suspension.

kimbers

This is a Tory MP attacking Chair of the Standards Committee for speaking to parliament explaining their decisions.

🙄

kimbers

we are to have standards in public life they need to be high ones, I’m more surprised he only got a 30 day suspension.

You can bet that the ‘reformed’ committe will hand out a 9 day suspension that won’t trigger a recall vote

dissonance

Politician in being a c**t scandal !! Who’d have thought

Aside from quite a few MPs voted to hold him accountable including some tories voting against the whip.
    The “they are all the same” line allows the dodgy ones to hide behind the rest.

kelvin

Only just seen this letter…

The one bit specifically about this case shows you how slippery and deceitful the leader of the house is. The report was delayed many times at the request of Paterson himself.

What worries me the most is the term “Natural Justice” being used so much today when someone has been clearly seen to break the rules they are supposed to operate under. As if “Natural Justice” somehow means that rules don’t need to be followed any more, if you can appeal to the government to give you the thumbs up and override the findings against you.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

How about a boycott of the firms who payed his fees? They must have known it was wrong and I would think they could be considered equally guilty under bribery and corruption legislation.

^This, but legal action not just boycotting. Unless the firms paying the MPs are punished, the sleaze won’t stop. Not defending the bloke, but he won’t be the last individual to accept a nice easy wodge of cash if they think they can get away with it.

grum
    Free Member

I’m completely open to hearing from someone who votes Conservative. What do you make of this issue?

I’m going to go with:

They’re all at it why go after him?
    They’re just against anyone who was pro-Brexit
    Imagine how much worse it would be under Corbyn
    I don’t really care as long as they leave my pension alone.

pondo

This is the Chair of the Standards Committee speaking to parliament explaining their decisions.

Well worth watching

Contrary to my expectations, that really WAS worth watching, thanks for sharing.

TiRed

Comments in the Mail and Telegraph are excoriating. This one will hurt them. Expect a by-election at some point.

intheborders
    Free Member

Also, blaming the inquiry for his wife’s suicide is particularly scummy. Maybe if you hadn’t broken the rules there wouldn’t have been an enquiry. Accountability is for the little people it seems.

Nothing to do with her caught up a in planning ‘issue’ then, where the local council rejected it but Tory pal Jenrick overruled?

No doubt some/many would have been absent due to the ‘pairing’ system.

And this ‘natural justice’ bollox, they’re now saying that MP’s should have a right of appeal and I saw a Tory MP yesterday talking about how employees wouldn’t just be ‘convicted’ without appeal. Well that’s rubbish. If you’re sacked for corruption/contempt you may be appealing via some external ‘tribunal’, but you’ll still have been sacked and stay sacked.

bazzer
    Free Member

So where were the opposition !!!!! They won by 18 votes FFS there were enough Tory abstentions for it to be defeated.

The opposition are just as bad, they can’t even be bothered to turn up to vote against the very stuff they claim to be against. I am so disillusioned with British politics. How can I vote for the Labour party when they can’t even be bothered to turn up to stop stuff like this happening, they are totally hopeless. At least the Tory party are effectual at carrying out their mandate.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m not judging, I’m genuinely interested how this plays out to Tory voters.

My parents have ardent Tories, pro-Brexit, would be worse under Corbyn, Brown left the Treasury with no money etc, but have never liked Boris, to be fair. They’ve worked hard and taken risks and opportunities from proper working class starts and are real boomers, and have struggled to see why others haven’t/couldn’t do the same.

They are coming to realise the consequences of their actions, the labour and supply shortages from Brexit, the mishandling of the pandemic that has put their age group at huge risk, the effects of a long term London centric, financial services led economy (both being born north of the Humber), the run down of public services at a time in life when they will need them most.

This has rocked them again. Not because it’s happened, but the shameless way power is being abused to legitimise it. In their name.

They are angry and embarrassed that the Tory Party they supported has gone so far down the rabbit hole, but are struggling to find an alternative that they would feel comfortable supporting and voting for. Takes a long time to turn the oil tanker in their minds.

jimw
    Free Member

@maitlis
    quotes Dominic Grieve “it cannot escape notice that the P.M. is currently the subject of an investigation for failure to declare his interest by that same Commissioner.
    EM”Was this Boris Johnson getting in early because he could see where this trail was going?

Quite a few people were pointing out yesterday and this morning Boris flew in his private jet Weds night to a meeting at the Garrick club with, amongst other, Charles Moore a great friend of Patterson. Others within the Tory party have said that the push for change was suddenly pushed up the agenda and No. 10 were keener on the vote even than many of his friends. Conspiracy theory or corruption?

MoreCashThanDash

. If you’re sacked for corruption/contempt you may be appealing via some external ‘tribunal’, but you’ll still have been sacked and stay sacked.

If they had proper punishments, like being sacked as I would for the same offence, then yes, they should have an appeal, but a 6 week suspension they can just **** off.

kelvin

they can’t even be bothered to turn up to vote

1) those isolating
    2) those working in Glasgow
    3) those ill

Tell us which opposition MPs “couldn’t be bothered”?

This was a rushed vote, with a three line whip, at a time when the Houses of Parliament have just brought in new restrictions to try and stop/slow an outbreak of coronavirus… but remote working measures for MPs (proxy voting) have been removed by the Leader of the House.

This isn’t an “all politicians are the same” situation… ALL [England/Scotland/Wales] opposition MPs in attendance voted against. A few Conservative MPs did as well, but most voted as the PM wished, even if they knew they were taking parliamentary oversight back 30 years.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

But then we ( the electorate as a whole) deserve to be viewed with utter contempt.

I’m not sure I do, as a member of the electorate.

Hmm, as you will see, I specifically phrased it to refer to the electorate as a while. And in that level it is self evidently true. Time after time the government has either **** things up or been deliberately evil. And time after time the electorate has renewed and reinforced their mandate at the polls.

I am uterrly ashamed to be part of that electorate, and it appears that you don’t feel part of it either.

But the fact remains that the electorate as a whole is contemptible.

matt_outandabout

All properly registered of course (!) but the trouble for parliament is that mud slung in one area tends to stick elsewhere so it does make one wonder about what exactly having a position as an MP does for those 5 other jobs

FTFY

monkeyboyjc

As predicted mine voted with the government, spineless shit

Same – but she’s has voted with the party 99% of the time, only time she hasn’t was the recent environmental bill, something she knew would be voted through anyway but representing an area filled with green voters and supporters I suspect it was political tactics and the conservative party were aware of how she would vote anyway.

I honestly don’t know how anyone can vote conservative now, oh hang on, we’d need a credible opposition first – one that’s puts policy at the forefront not infighting, and maybe a larger third party that actually has a voice in the media.

The country has put itself slowly into this possition over the last 11yrs. Its going to take another few to dig our selves out….

matt_outandabout

I disagree.

The person who is contemptable is the MP(s) at the centre of this. The system of press and reporting, the ability for government and other politicians to pull so many tricks, mis-directions and downright lies without it being revealed, is contemptable. The fact that our systems ‘allow’ this to happen and can be hi-jacked by the people who don’t like them, is contemptable.

I don’t like how some people vote, but that is the electorate. We have, and should have, differences of view.

I still think that many are just unaware of a lot of the behaviour and real impact of decisions they make – they have been lied to for so many years, they cannot see the truth for the otters…..

bazzer
    Free Member

@kelvin

“Tell us which opposition MPs “couldn’t be bothered”?”

How about you give me an excuse everyone who didn’t turn up?

I also didn’t say they are the same, I said its a pathetic opposition.

The very time when we need a good opposition.

Edited to add What was Jeremy Corbyn’s excuse for not turning up ?

MoreCashThanDash

I disagree.

The person who is contemptable is the MP(s) at the centre of this.

Many good points in Matts post. Pinning it on the “electorate” is victim blaming, which kind of fits, given the abusive relationship we are trapped in with these dodgy MPs

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m going to go with:

They’re all at it why go after him?
    They’re just against anyone who was pro-Brexit
    Imagine how much worse it would be under Corbyn
    I don’t really care as long as they leave my pension alone.

I doubt it

Some will buy the defence and have sympathy for his loss, etc etc

Quite a few will be really angry that this is the hill that Boris has chosen to die on, red wall MP’s especially as they know they have a real uphill battle to keep their seats if “Tory sleaze” starts to get traction. They look at the report and think this idiot pushed his luck and was caught and if anything the punishment is light.

Starmer probably thinks Christmas has come early

The potential successors to Boris up their glad handing of the angry MPs

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 737 total)

The topic ‘Owen Paterson #Torysleaze’ is closed to new replies.