Home Forums Chat Forum Overnighter in York – WWSTWD?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Overnighter in York – WWSTWD?
  • Cougar2
    Free Member

The Boy graduates Uni next month. The ceremony is at York Minster and I’m taking his mum over to attend (there’s not enough spare tickets for me).

So, we’ll be driving over the evening before, staying overnight, I’m billy no-mates for the morning and then we’re planning on going for food/drink afterwards before driving home.

What’s the best way to do this? Park ‘n’ ride into the centre? I’ll need a hotel room within walking distance of the Minster which ideally isn’t going to cripple me financially. Suggestions / tips / recommendations welcome, it’s probably a decade since I last went to York and it was a daytrip.

Thanks in advance.

ceept

There is no overnight parking at the park & ride sites.

Either get the train, park in a side street & get a bus in, or get a hotel with parking (either £££ or a little out of town) & use uber to be in the right place at the right time.

nicko74

First question will be where to stay/ budget. I can recommend the Grand (by the station) but it’s not the cheapest. There’s overnight parking at the station car park.

Another option would be the Premier Inn in Clifton, by the Dormouse. Friendly pub with decent ales, and there are regular buses down the Clifton Road into town – or it’s about half an hour’s brisk walk.

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve stayed at the Doubletree in York twice (once with work then actually as a leisure trip), it’s a decent mid-price option.

petec
    Free Member

At the other end of the uni journey, we went up to an open day recently, and stayed in the Travelodge Hull Road, a week before it shut for refurbishment. It did need it.

If (if!) it’s reopen it will be brand new. Decent size carpark as well.

Pub next door, decent greek cafe 5 min down the road for a breakfast gyro, 15 min to uni, 30 min to town, or a bus.

It did the job

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.