Home Forums Bike Forum OS map based (or with the option) route planner

• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • OS map based (or with the option) route planner
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Bikehike was my go to but its proper broke now.

What you all using ?

tried viewranger – it seems to just be all Open street maps now , likewise bing maps show OS but unless i want it to plot me a route it wont let me mark a route manually.

the OS map website shows me the maps in great detail but i cant plot routes on them

“map the hug” is a glitchy piece of crap.

jonba
    Free Member

bikehike hasn’t changed for me since it lost google maps? Still does OS fine. Whats not working?

paladin

OS maps. its about 20 quid a year

Drac

OS map website shows me the maps in great detail but i cant plot routes on them

OS Maps online allows plotting?

joemmo
    Free Member

Viewranger allows you to plot and sync routes between pc and mobile but if you want to use OS maps in it then you need to subscribe, just as you do via the OS maps app.

trail_rat
    Free Member

OS Maps online allows plotting?

well yes – if you want to draw them out by hand on an actual OS map ala 1993.

but anyway it seems bikehike was just having one of its many glitches and is now working …. this morning it was just two white squares with no mapping appearing in either.

Its all good now.

Drac

well yes – if you want to draw them out by hand on an actual OS map ala 1993.

Were you expecting it magically know the route?

phil5556

ViewRanger has proper OS 25 & 50k for a subscription. I use it occasionally.

Works well if you download maps but will occasionally lose the maps and need restarting – it used to do it on my old Android phone and now does the same on iPhone. I think it’s if you get a poor signal it will try and revert to online maps, but not have enough signal to load them. At least that’s my hunch 🤷‍♂️

trail_rat
    Free Member

No drac that would be stupid

I wanted to export to gpx.

zilog6128

Can you not still buy the individual tiles you need on ViewRanger?

Drac

An so not plan routes but import GPX, yeah  it does that.

ampthill

Os maps online allows gpx creation and export. You can also print maps up to A3. Seems good value to me

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well it does seem fair value how ever I’ll be **** if I’m giving them more money

I’ve got about 150 os maps on the shelf , I’ve paid for various mapping software over the years that no longer function as things have been updated.

There are free options it’s just a case of finding out what they are.

As it is bikehikes working fine now so I’ll continue to use that in conjunction with my maps.

epicyclo

I use ridewithgps and export the gpx, which I then import into OSmaps.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

bikehike working fine here, they have a daily data limit tho, I believe. Has been the case for a few years.

belugabob
    Free Member

If you are using your GPX files with a Garmin, and don’t absolutely have to use OS maps, then Basecamp and talkytoaster maps may be worth looking into.
    All of the detail of OS maps, cheap to subscribe to, and easy to store and manage your routes.

YMMV

trail_rat
    Free Member

Talky toaster maps weren’t any good for me. Tracks marked that weren’t on the ground. Tracks on the ground that weren’t marked. Can’t trust that.

My etrex already has paid for os mapping which is another reason I am not keen to pay for another way to access what I have already a few times over.

belugabob
    Free Member

@trail_rat sorry to hear that – I’ve only heard good things about TT maps

burko73

whatever you’ve spent on os paper maps the OS maps app is a no brainer for £20 a year. online access to any os map, download any tile for a specific trip to use offline, download other routes, draw your own, export to gpx, desktop fly through etc. don’t cut your nose off…

crashrash

i’m with burko – the OS maps app is great and for £20 subs it works pretty much faultlessly. You can build your own routes, import others and share them with mates, download to use offline and the fly through is awesome.

kittyr
    Free Member

Outdoors GPS with Parks + a £12/yer subscription for 1:25 and 1:50 OP Maps. Looks like they now only have “Outdoors GPS – Offline OS Maps” for £1.99 so no included national parks maps.

Allows plotting of routes and import/export of GPX on the desktop, plus phone app although its a bit (lot) harder to plot on the phone. I find switching between OS maps and Google satellite and google maps to be the best combo for route planning on and off road.

It isn’t so good for actually following the route on a bike though as the map doesn’t move with you as you move, or orientate itself to your orientation.

Koomot is better for actually following the route and better for battery if you get offline downloads when route following too. Its like £30 for the entire world downloaded at the moment.

DezB
    Free Member

Little company called Microsoft have a Bing Maps website that gives you OS maps and you can draw lines and measure distances. You might need to Google it ;-)

Or on a phone there’s a free app called Outside

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘OS map based (or with the option) route planner’ is closed to new replies.