Home Forums Bike Forum Orbea headset routing – cracking sound

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Orbea headset routing – cracking sound
  • b33k34

Anyone have experience of these?

New Rise  – changed brakes and dropper and shortened steerer tube and put it all back together.  Getting a “crack” sound when the forks compress (but it’s not the fork – hold the bike so the fork is vertical and compress it and it’s quiet) so I’m pretty sure it’s headset related.

tightening it all up stopped it for half a ride but now it’s back. Annoying as it’s audible all the time descending.

anyone else had this? Have I misassembled or missed something?

jonba
    Free Member

It could be many things. In fact I’ve just been trying to get rid of a creak/crack sound like that myself. On my road bike.

It probably is related to something that you’ve done. I’d methodically go back and check/clean/grease things.

Drop the fork, clean the bearings, races and frame to remove any dirt (not degrease etc. just give a good wipe).
    Pop the forks in and set everything up. It might help to use carbon assembly paste.

regrease the headset bolt and tighten up – check whatever contraption is used to preload the headset. I think that was the cause of mine as it was dry and showed a little bit of corrosion.

Same for the stem.

It can also be the bars rotating in the stem (or at least moving a very small amount).

Check grips if lockons

I assume it is obviously not a rattle? In which case cleaning, greasing, lubricating and torquing normally fixes it.

bikerevivesheffield

Cables in the down tube

b33k34

Cables in the down tube

definitely not. Happens when the front is compressed with the bike stationary. No cable movement then.

Blazin-saddles

Do they still use the headset with the crappy plastic tapered preload jobbie?  This was the cause of noise on our MK1 Rises.  Swapped the top headset parts out for Hope and noise went away.

phil5556

Do they still use the headset with the crappy plastic tapered preload jobbie?  This was the cause of noise on our MK1 Rises.  Swapped the top headset parts out for Hope and noise went away.

I came here to write exactly this.

The Acros headset in mine was shocking, it needed tightening after every ride. Haven’t touched the Hope one since I fitted it. No idea of the current rise is the same though?

mboy
    Free Member

anyone else had this? Have I misassembled or missed something?

As it’s the newer Rise, it will have the same headset fitted to my 2024 Wild… That is to say it’s a total ballache with all the cables running through it, various different interlocking headset spacers, the compression ring that snaps if you look at it funny etc…

Yes… Mine creaked like a bastard, and I couldn’t do anything to get rid of the creak!

Luckily I bumped into Orbea @ Tweedlove and Lee from Orbea was super helpful… Gave him my bike for a bit, and he took it apart, put it all back together as it should, and (touchwood) it hasn’t creaked since!

So it is possible… But it really is a shit design, I’ll give it that!

Great bikes otherwise mind…

jonba
    Free Member

I had that with an Acros headset on my Vitus. Took me ages to work out why it kept coming loose!

Had spares as it’s often cheaper to buy a headset than bearings, annoyingly. Replaced everything above the bearing and it worked well.

Problems started after a service. I guess the plastic bit get damaged over time and when preloading so it simply can’t be refitted?

honourablegeorge

In my experience, it’s a good idea to replace anything with “Acros” on it

How they have made such headway in the OEM market I don’t know, their products are garbage

b33k34

Never had any issues with the one on our mk1 rises and the bearings are still running smooth.

@mboy
    good to know there may be a trick. You didn’t ask what he’d done?

jamj1974

Slight change of subject.  Serviced my headset regularly on my 2022 Orbea Rise.  Despite the somewhat poor sealing on the stock Acros headset, my bearings have always been clean.

My BiL Orbea Rise, never serviced the headset, so when I took the forks firstly, the conical sleeve had somehow ‘seized’ and when I took the bearings out – both just fell apart.  He purchased the identical headset and bearings which I fitted.

Even though my bearings have always been clean, I replaced the stock headset with a Hope one.

weeksy

Mine is silent… i think i’ve got about 600 miles on the clocks.. Mine does have the plastic thing as the top spacer but it’s all good. I’ll keep an eye on it though.

I removed all mine to fit a multi-tool and it goes together etc like a normal headset, no magic things that can be different.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.